Cozumel vs Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Heading to Cancun first week in Jan. staying at the Club Internacional. Sounds like an all day trip to dive Cozumel as opposed to a half day to dive cancun. Is Cozumel that much better (vis, fishes etc,) that would make it worth the extra time and money? Also going to do the cenotes. have heard a lot of good things about them.

Heading to Cancun first week in Jan. staying at the Club Internacional. Sounds like an all day trip to dive Cozumel as opposed to a half day to dive cancun. Is Cozumel that much better (vis, fishes etc,) that would make it worth the extra time and money? Also going to do the cenotes. have heard a lot of good things about them.

I dove Cancun and Cozumel this year. Cancun has some nice spots, but the vis and sealife are definitely better out of Cozumel. I also did Dos Ojos cenote when I was there. I dove with Scuba Cancun, and if you are staying in Cancun, they will pick you up from and drop you back off to your hotel everyday for cenotes diving and Cozumel. I had no complaints.

I've been to Cancun twice, Cozumel three times. Each time, the fishlife was more abundent and varied in Cancun; the coral life and formations magnificent in Cozumel. Both are great places, but Cancun is a better base of operations; you can hook up with Mayan Aqua Dive or Manta for trips to cenotes or Cozumel and be back in time to enjoy the party zone of Cancun.

My observations are pretty much the same as flyhimid. The linked thread has comments of others also.

Lots of fish in Cancun, but relatively low profile reefs. The coral formations of Cozumel are truly awesome. Cancun is a great dive destination, but the nearby Cozumel is even better.

The dive ops in Cancun seem to be more oriented towards people that dive just a couple dives on vacation every few years. They tend much more towards babysitting mentality than do the Cozumel dive ops.

I would recommend doing one day of diving in Cozumel to take a look around; but would do most of the diving right in Cancun. If you are comfortable in the water, and have good buoyancy control at shallow depths, then doing a cavern dive in the cenotes is a good idea.

Charlie Allen

I agree with the other posts above. Try Ben Mooney he will treat you right and set you up with the cenotes as well as give you excellent dives in Cancun. The schools of fish seemed to be much more dence in Cancun. The reefs are great in Coz. but you spend alot of the day traveling. Been to Coz twice and went to Cancun this Nov. Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom