Cozumel Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daxter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, just came home from Coz on Saturday took a day to relax and one work day to relize that I need another vacation. This was our second trip to Coz this year, so it was interesting to see how the reefs and Coz in general are rebuilding. This trip we stayed at the Vista Del Mar Hotel and dove with Blue XT-Sea Diving.

First the hotel, very neat and well kept. The Vista Del Mar is located next to McDonalds and Aqua Safari in downtown San Miguel. One of the best features of this hotel was no taxi rides to eat, wow is that nice. Hotel rooms where big and comfortable. Another great feature, we had hotandcold water(as you may be able to tell last hotel had some issues). Free breakfast every morning delivered between 7:24 and 7:30am. We had an ocean front room so street noise was audible but really didn't bother us much. The bed was hard but I selpt like a rock. Plenty of room on the balcony to hang any thing that had to dry. Great hotel would recommend them in a heartbeat!!!

The weather this trip was not bad. Mornings were always sunny or partly cloudly with no rain. Afternoons had a rain storm every day ether the north end or south end of the island. The storms would not last long and would clear up right after they were done.

Blue XT-Sea, what can you say but WOW!!! Christy runs a great dive operation. Boats run well are on time or early, never late to pick you up. Have never had boat captians that were so helpful and always smilling. If I didn't know any better I think they like their job and enjoy meeting people. I have always have had DM's that enjoy diving but Adan and Mago (the boat captains) were above and beyond. As for the DM's we had Arturo (4 days) and Jackie(sp) (2 days). Both are excellent DM's always trying to find what you request to see as well as the smallest critters. Both were excited to dive every day. Both wanted all the divers input as to where we were to dive that day. Blue XT-Sea is most defenitely worth diving with.

The diving itself, vis was lower than in April of it rained every afternoon. The amount of juvnile critters was amazing, in April we would look in holes this time there were thousands of juvnile fish in clouds filling the holes. In April ther were many more large fish, Sharks, spotted rays and Tarpon for example but this trip there was so much more marine life. The corals from April to now are very different for example, in April we dove Palancar caves I didn't think much of it, this trip there was new growth all over it, made for a much more enjoyable dive. Found this to be the case all over the Cozumel reefs.

Last but not least would like to say Hi to all the SBers we met while diving with Blue XT-Sea. It was great to meet good people and dinners were a ball, Thanks for a great week!!

P.S. Jake you only have three weeks of diving left, then back to reality:mooner:

Tom

Hi Daxter:

I remember meeting up with your group near the square in April. Glad you got a chance to go back and post the report. Just saying hello.

Slingshot

I'm glad to hear good things about the Vista Del Mar, I'll be in Coz Nov 5th - 16th and I'm booked there. I'll be diving with Aldora during my stay.

Thanks for the report.

David

I was there also in April and again this September and we seen more sharks, turtles and Eagle rays then ever before in September.

Nice report. Thanks. Dove with Christi's Blue XT a month ago too. There were only 2-3 divers most days. (Captains were Adan and Mago "Magician" too; DMs were Pedro and Arturo).

Cute cat. Angie was right he is adorable. It took us about a week to get back into the swing of things. We were lucky rain wise. It stormed the afternoon we were leaving and that's it. Its so hard to come home after all that great diving to go back to work. I came down sick on the way home so that made it even harder but was glad it was at the end and not the begining :D We really enjoyed meeting you and your wife and the dinners with everyone as well. I must second that it was great meeting all the other SB'ers down in Coz. I think everyone we met that week diving with Christi's group was from Scuba Board. So I wonder if Jake is getting to that "ow no its almost time to leave" yet? Must be rough diving every day for weeks. We only got one week :shakehead

Stacy

Hi Stacy,

Just got done looking at your pictures, they look great!! I have been keeping up with Jakes blogs and am glad to hear that he could have used a coat and stocking hat :) . Glad to have met you guys, the week was a blast.

Tom

P.S. Hey slingshot good to hear from you, we had another great week down there.

Daxter:
Well, just came home from Coz on Saturday took a day to relax and one work day to relize that I need another vacation. This was our second trip to Coz this year, so it was interesting to see how the reefs and Coz in general are rebuilding. This trip we stayed at the Vista Del Mar Hotel and dove with Blue XT-Sea Diving.

First the hotel, very neat and well kept. The Vista Del Mar is located next to McDonalds and Aqua Safari in downtown San Miguel. One of the best features of this hotel was no taxi rides to eat, wow is that nice. Hotel rooms where big and comfortable. Another great feature, we had hotandcold water(as you may be able to tell last hotel had some issues). Free breakfast every morning delivered between 7:24 and 7:30am. We had an ocean front room so street noise was audible but really didn't bother us much. The bed was hard but I selpt like a rock. Plenty of room on the balcony to hang any thing that had to dry. Great hotel would recommend them in a heartbeat!!!

The weather this trip was not bad. Mornings were always sunny or partly cloudly with no rain. Afternoons had a rain storm every day ether the north end or south end of the island. The storms would not last long and would clear up right after they were done.

Blue XT-Sea, what can you say but WOW!!! Christy runs a great dive operation. Boats run well are on time or early, never late to pick you up. Have never had boat captians that were so helpful and always smilling. If I didn't know any better I think they like their job and enjoy meeting people. I have always have had DM's that enjoy diving but Adan and Mago (the boat captains) were above and beyond. As for the DM's we had Arturo (4 days) and Jackie(sp) (2 days). Both are excellent DM's always trying to find what you request to see as well as the smallest critters. Both were excited to dive every day. Both wanted all the divers input as to where we were to dive that day. Blue XT-Sea is most defenitely worth diving with.

The diving itself, vis was lower than in April of it rained every afternoon. The amount of juvnile critters was amazing, in April we would look in holes this time there were thousands of juvnile fish in clouds filling the holes. In April ther were many more large fish, Sharks, spotted rays and Tarpon for example but this trip there was so much more marine life. The corals from April to now are very different for example, in April we dove Palancar caves I didn't think much of it, this trip there was new growth all over it, made for a much more enjoyable dive. Found this to be the case all over the Cozumel reefs.

Last but not least would like to say Hi to all the SBers we met while diving with Blue XT-Sea. It was great to meet good people and dinners were a ball, Thanks for a great week!!

P.S. Jake you only have three weeks of diving left, then back to reality:mooner:

Tom

Daxter,

Glad you had a good trip. Just bought tickets last week and will be headed down Nov. 19 -27. Glad I had chance to meet you and your wife along with Slingshot in April. This trip will be mostly diving but I plan on working a couple of days on the house.I'm taking a new paint sprayer down and I can't wait to see the TSA people trying to figure out what it is.

Tom,

Great trip report! That is other than reminding me that I have to return to the "real" world. And there have been a couple of days where I would have done anything for your coat and hat, but now I do take a sweatshirt out everyday.

And Stacy....I have had the "wow, it is over half over" thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom