Cozumel Trip Report, Late May – Early June 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like you may have been there during higher current or at least expectations of lower current in some spots. The currents last Nov and this Feb were slow to non-existent in some places for those days and weeks we were there. It changes constantly. I have found Yucab and Tormentos to have faster currents than other sites but I have also dived them when the current was mild but rare. It depends on the time of year, storms, wind, or which foot hit the floor first thing in the am.

I don't understand the description of Dalila and Paso de Cedral as flat and featureless. These are two of my favorites and for photography as well. Paso de Cedral at night I think is very good. The current on Paso de Cedral can be quicker but there are many places to duck behind. The group has to stick together though or you no time to poke around.

I found that the single most important factor in the varying strength of the current at different sites was the topography. The flatter sites tended to have stronger current because there were fewer coral and rock formations to break it up. The sites with the higher rock and coral formations tended to have the least current, perhaps because the rock and coral formations broke it up.

Paso del Cedral and Dalila had a lot of great subjects for photos, but the strength of the current made it hard to stay in place and often added motion blur.

True. We zig zag over the flatter sites in the channels or between the coral heads. This can be difficult to do if part of the group stays on top or sides and rides the current. So everyone needs to be on the same page. Follow the leader, especially with large groups, is difficult to do since the end of the line can get swept past. Small boats perhaps.

I found that the single most important factor in the varying strength of the current at different sites was the topography. The flatter sites tended to have stronger current because there were fewer coral and rock formations to break it up. The sites with the higher rock and coral formations tended to have the least current, perhaps because the rock and coral formations broke it up.
Topography, yes, but it's a little more complicated than that. The current through the channel between the island and the mainland is fairly constant compared to what you will see at a given site, and the topography where you are diving does influence what you will experience, but the current interacts with the island in complicated ways. One thing that happens is the generation of eddy currents that move around, so that the current may be ripping south to north at one site and be very still or even going the other way at another site nearby, and a little while later conditions at both sites can be very different. It can even change directions on you during the course of a dive as one of these eddies moves past.

Another is what the reef looks like a bit upstream from where you are; at Punta Tunich the prevailing current flows from deep water to shallow and sort of squirts over the top of the reef, so there is nearly always a pretty fast current there, and as you say, it's pretty flat, so a lot of the time all you can do is go with the flow and try to stay together. I dove there a couple of weeks ago and it was some of the fastest current I have ever experienced.

Colombia Shallows, on the other hand is out of the turbulence zone next to the island and there is nearly always very slow to nonexistent current there. That's where you should go to take pictures.

Ggun, I completely agree about Columbia Shallows and Devil's Throat. I've done the Throat, don't care if I ever do it again....I much prefer the Catedral, which is nearby.
Ironborn, my experience with 3P was based on only a few dives on one trip; although I'd definitely hesitate to use the operation again it was only one experience on one trip and I don't want to badmouth anyone on that basis.

It is good to see that you went with multiple dive ops.

That was another thing that struck me when I did my pre-trip research on this sub-forum; the high level of customer loyalty to particular operators among many Cozumel regulars. I can understand why you might want to stick to a good operator once you have found one ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it"), but I would also think that it would be worth shopping around a bit for the best possible deal, especially in a market with so many options and so much intense competition. It also struck me as odd that some of the operators that I contacted presumed or expected me to dive with them exclusively, even when they could only offer me 2 dives a day, not the 3 or 4 that I wanted. I immediately ceased contact with them, since I would have had to "cheat" on them with another operator for the other dives that I wanted...as if we were married, LOL!

There is, however, value in the familiarity and continuity of sticking with one operator. When I originally planned my trip, I had planned to do all of my dives with Aldora. I only went in search of other operators when I learned that Aldora did not have enough divers for the twilight and night trips that I wanted to do and canceled a "guaranteed" night dive at the last minute. The better experiences that I had with those other operators persuaded me that I could do better than Aldora, so I cancelled my remaining dives with Aldora and chose another operator.

Ironborn, my experience with 3P was based on only a few dives on one trip; although I'd definitely hesitate to use the operation again it was only one experience on one trip and I don't want to badmouth anyone on that basis.

No single operator will suit every diver. Some divers will appreciate dive ops with very structured dives. Others prefer ops that provide a little more freedom. Some want lots of personal attention while others appreciate solitude and a more hands off approach. That is the advantage of SB and a conversation with the dive ops before booking. Even within the same dive op, differences between boats or guides may influence preference.

I would be curious to know what you disliked about 3 Ps. Just leaving the issue hanging may be a greater disservice to both 3 Ps and to SB members looking for the best op for them. And if it is a true complaint and not just a personal preference issue, 3 Ps needs to know (assuming you didn't already address the problem with them).

I agree Ironborn, there is alot of loyalty among divers regarding Dive Ops in Cozumel. It can lead to cheerleading. I have almost stopped mentioning my dive Op so it doesn't come off as an advertisement. I basically followed a DM from company to company until he opened his own, and price is not a huge issue for me. I do use other dive ops when I need to as mine may not have divers at all.
Not every Dive Op can be all things to all people and within the same Op can vary due to stresses like family emergencies, burnout, etc. Once someone finds the right fit, they know it but it takes sampling the operations in person not on the internet. SB can provide a good starting point. Overall, good for you on seeing what was out there.

Maybe a good approach for someone new to Cozumel might be to dive 1-2 days with many dive ops. Kind of like a sampler platter at a restaurant. Though gear sizing or potential checkout dives if that exists in Cozumel, might not work for that plan. Then do a write up - contrast and compare.

I've dove with several of the high rated operators. My loyalty goes to the operator that I prefer. I don't like to use the word best because each of us have different requirements and expectations. What is important to 1 person may be unimportant to another.

With the many quality dive operators to chose from, it is often the little differences that add up and lead a person to find their favorite. It is good to try different operators. You may experience a new type of service that you appreciate, miss a service the old operator provided, but the new one doesn't, or find a highly praised type of service doesn't matter to you.

Maybe a good approach for someone new to Cozumel might be to dive 1-2 days with many dive ops. Kind of like a sampler platter at a restaurant.

I'm not sure that doing 1 or 2 dives with a bunch of different dive ops on a visit will give you a good comparison much less the most enjoyable dive trip. If you really prefer a structured dive scenario or you're a very experienced diver that knows exactly what you want and can communicate it without much drama, it might work. If you prefer a "lighter touch," it helps to do several dives with an op so you can get used to each other. My preferred op (once they got to know me) provides the service I request (or they learn that I like) otherwise they leave me to do my own thing. Sometimes I stick close with the group; sometimes I range; sometimes I'll surface with the group; sometimes I'll get with some of the other "experienced divers" known to the op and when the main group surfaces, we'll continue on and dive our tanks. It's tough to figure out that kind of relationship with just a couple of dives. If Cozumel is a one week, one trip location for you, then much of this doesn't matter. If you see Coz as a locale you might choose to frequent, it pays to get to know "your op" and for them to get to know you. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom