Cozumel Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm taking a personal poll. The divers that have been to Cozumel are invited. Please tell me your #1 favorite restaurant in Cozumel, and why.
I'm planning the dinners for my March group. We will use your recommedations. Thank You!
:gorgeous:

I've been told there are many great restaurants in Cozumel. I personally have only eaten at four (5 if you count the hotel restaurant at Fiesta Americana...but I don't count that one). My favorite would have to be Capi Navegante. Whenever I'm in a tropical paradise type of place I always crave good seafood over all types of food.. or in the case of Cozumel maybe seafood done with a Mexican style twist. Capi Navegante serves excellent seafood. The best Margaritas I've ever tasted. Prices aren't outrageous and the bananas flambae rocks! The way they peel the lime with the rind spiraling down in one piece, pour the liquer down it, and then light it on fire so the flame spirals down the rind to the dish. Cool!!.. but then again I'm kind of like Beavis.. " Fire!..Fire!..Fire!..":bang:

..during my research on Cozumel before our trip, I came across this website that I found useful. Here is a link to the restaurant review part of the website.

http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/restaurantreviews/general.html

It lists, gives descriptions, and gives reviews of the restaurants of Cozumel from tourists that have eaten there.

Actually it does the same for dive shops too. I also clicked on the link to Papa Hogs and then clicked on the island map button and found a really good map of San Miguel, a map of the island, and a map of the dive sites and their proximity to the different hotels. I printed out the maps and took them with me on our trip. I found this whole website to be useful..uh...sorry...I didn't mean to sidetrack your thread..anyhows, ..Capi Navigante was my fave.. :)

The Travelnote site also has a very good message board. Click here

Favorite restaurants is a hard one. There's LaChoza at calle5 and 10th Ave. They have the best avacado soup and margaritas. In fact, everything on their menu is good. LaParillo just around the corner, middle of the block on Ave. 5. is just fabulous. Santiago's...I know how to find it but I can't tell you where it is! The cab drivers will take you there. The seafood kabob's will make you drool. If you have plenty of money to burn, Prima Pasta is great for seafood. French Quarter for that home town meal you've been missing. Mike, the owner is from New Orleans. If you are hungry for something just tell him, he'll fix it for you whether it's on the menu or not. The place upstairs over the Museum has great breakfast.

And then there's the little old man in white pants and a red hat that has a push cart on the Plaza. He makes the best meat tortilla roll-ups (I can't pronounce or type what it is in Spanish) I've ever had. Four of them will cost you $2.

If you're planning a trip to Coz, you need
The Map. Laura and her husband have mapped not only the island but all the reefs with a GPS unit...Mostly by bicycle! Well, they were on a boat part of the time! According to the DM's, it's the most accurate map of the reefs they have ever seen. It's well worth $7.

Hi Natasha,

Only one? This is like trying to indicate my single favorite dive site on Coz--I simply can't to it. So, for that special (read upscale place) occasion:

1. Best classical Mexican cuisine with excellent service--Pancho's Back Yard (reservations usually not needed).

2. Most unusual menu (French Canadian chef doing a Mediterranean theme) with very good service--La Cocay (reservations a good idea).

3. Very good food with a great view with impeccable sevice---Arrecife's at the El Presidente (reservations a good idea).

My mouth is watering.

Have fun, hear?

DocVikingo

I'm going to let y'all in on the best...
Promise not to tell *anyone* on *any* cruise ship - only divers.
El Moro, out on the east side of town, behind the cement plant.
Rick

Unfortunately, I haven't been to Cozumel since I became a diver, but I have been there a number of time's on Cruise ships. My favorite restaurant - Pancho's Backyard - sitting in the open air, sipping Margarita's and munching on fresh chips, bubbling water fall...wow - the memories come flooding back!! Their food is excellent and very authentic (I spent quite a lot fo time travelling a few years ago on business to San Antonio Texas - so I was taught the difference between American-Mexican Food (think Chi-Chis) and REAL Mexican food.)

My wife and I are taking the kids on a 7 day Disney cruise in October - I can't wait to take my kids there! (My daughter loves Mexican food - my son is a little young yet). I won't have enough time in port to dive (hopefully when we stop in Grand Cayman) so maybe the next trip!

Oh - if you want to just drink amounts of alcohol you probably shouldn't, and have a great 'party' time - I suggest Carlos & Charlies....beware - the walk down the steps can be rough! I know, I know - alot of people dislike the place - but I've never failed to have a good time there. (Probably won't get a chance to go this time with the kids <S>.)

I love the ceviche at Popeye´s on Calle 2 norte between Avenue 25 & 30. It is also more of a "locally" priced menu.

How about a quick "local" affordable "after dive lunch" at: El Morritos on Calle 6 north between Melgar and 5th Avenue. 1 sandwich "torta" for $1.50. My fav. Enchiladas with green sauce $3.00. A massive serving of "consomme" filled with chicken, rice and all kinds of good stuff for $2.50.

How about a late night snack (or a past 7PM dinner?). 9 Peso tacos! 5 different types to choose from. 9 peso quesadillas too. Oh, and if you are up for something different, 9 peso "salbutes" (I think that is how it it spelled) It is a different version of a taco with lettuce, tomato and chicken all piled on a fried tortilla. Yummy, but very very messy! Oooh, got so caught up in the yummy food, I almost forgot to tell you where to get this. the Mission Tacos on 30th Avenue between Calle 2 and Calle 4. Don´t be surprised when they give you an extra empty plate. There is a table of rice, potatoes, beans, marinaded cactus, pico de gallo, guacomole etc.etc in the center of the restaurant that are free extras. So, pile it up on that empty plate!

Onto a little more touristy... How about the fresh caught mahi mahi fillet, breaded fried fish and chips, or the penne pasta with gorgonzola cream sauce, or any number of the freshly made salads at Island Gourmet. My addictions at the Island Gourmet are really really bad... They are located at the intersection of Rosado Salas and 10th Avenue (across from Deep Blue).

Pricier, but amazing, is La Casa de La Mission. It is only a matter of time before this one shows up on every guide book about Cozumel! A full Lobster Dinner is $30 and my guests claim that it IS hands down, the BEST lobster they have ever tasted! They also tell me that the atmosphere and the service is top notch.

Ok, I´m good and hungry now....

I´m going to go eat!

achu

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I'm printing this and taking it with me. I'll let you know where we ended up. I wish I could do them all on this trip, but I think we'd have to be eating more then diving to do that!

:sunny:

Best ...Northern Italian cooking?...Primas' Its really great . The owner is from Texas. Home made pasta,great deserts. Favorite Mexican, Casa Dennis' careful of the Margarita's though.

Back
Top Bottom