Cozumel Restaurant List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Barbeque place on the Transversal is very very good. Not sure of the name.
It is on the north side of the road just before you get to the last Oxxo. Some time there is a sign that says Texas BBQ.
The place is very clean and food is in modern sanitary display cases. (Unlike the conditions at El Billys)
When I was there they had 4 meat items and 6 sides
I chose the smoked pork ribs, but they also had beef ribs, barbacoa, and pork roast.
I had the yuca and mac&cheese sides.
It was a perfect picnic lunch on the beach at chen rio.
The ribs were meaty and actually wood smoked.
Meat is priced by the kilo so choose as much or as little as you like.

1678766546245.png

The Barbeque place on the Transversal is very very good. Not sure of the name.
It is on the north side of the road just before you get to the last Oxxo. Some time there is a sign that says Texas BBQ.
The place is very clean and food is in modern sanitary display cases. (Unlike the conditions at El Billys)
When I was there they had 4 meat items and 6 sides
I chose the smoked pork ribs, but they also had beef ribs, barbacoa, and pork roast.
I had the yuca and mac&cheese sides.
It was a perfect picnic lunch on the beach at chen rio.
The ribs were meaty and actually wood smoked.
Meat is priced by the kilo so choose as much or as little as you like.

View attachment 774403
First, Billy's isn't a smoke house, its delicious grilled food!

Second, everyone has a different comfort level when eating out in foreign countries. Many need it just like home to feel good about it. I wouldn't judge a place by how nice their display cases are. As a 30 year restaurant owner, I look at the volume sold. I've been going to Billy's for years and there is always a line of locals from the neighborhood. That tells me two things: it's safe or the people who live there wouldn't come back and the food isn't old from sitting around. They are cooking large amounts of food everyday and usually sell out.

Billy's is an adventure for most tourists, you need to be comfortable driving back into the local neighborhoods, speak some Spanish and trust the locals.

If you want great food at a great price and can handle a little adventure, give them a try.

But the no name American BBQ sounds interesting. Thank you.

In the past, we have tried el Pique, las Otates, la Seras which were all good. On Saturday, we tried Mr. Taco, which was decent (al pastor was dry, arrachera and sirloin looked identical). But last night, our dive master recommended a relatively new, very local taqueria, Ruta 25. It was tiny and excellent! No lengua, but the al Pastor wss wonderful. The Campenchano, which I think is a combination of meats, was incredible and the Tripa (tripe) was perfectly charred and fatty. The suadero was good, too. Their address is 25 av entre 6 y
Calle 4 Norte. Trying a local seafood place tonight if we can find it... 5FFA7FC3-E42F-4355-AFE5-C22161D58C0D.jpeg

We were recently at La Perlita a few times, and it was superb! Super fresh, tasty fish, exceptional service and a fair price. We eat a little earlier than most, about 4:30 or 5 or so, and the Head waiter told us it is a very good time for us to be there. When there are only a few tables being used we received instant service on drinks and pico etc.

Are you sure that’s El Pique? El Pique is a taqueria and I’ve never seen fish there. It doesn’t open until 6 or 7. Were you at La Perlita, maybe? That’s a seafood place and would be open at 4:30 or 5:00.
We were recently at El Pique a few times, and it was superb! Super fresh, tasty fish, exceptional service and a fair price. We eat a little earlier than most, about 4:30 or 5 or so, and the Head waiter told us it is a very good time for us to be there. When there are only a few tables being used we received instant service on drinks and pico etc.

Are you sure that’s El Pique? El Pique is a taqueria and I’ve never seen fish there. It doesn’t open until 6 or 7. Were you at La Perlita, maybe? That’s a seafood place and would be open at 4:30 or 5:00.
Oops, I’m a dumba$$ ! My apologies. I got the names confused. La Perlita, not El Pique.

We went to El Pique also, I thought it was great, wife was just ok with it.

Recent trip to CZM with a buddy. We stayed at the north end of downtown and walked everywhere except to the marina.

Great: La Clasica, El Palomar, Cafe de Isla.

Good: El Pez Cozon, Pancho’s Backyard, La Semilla Tropical, Corazon Contento

OK: Thirsty Cougar, Ohana

Snotty to gringos: Tentaciones (even though I am fluent in Spanish)

Divers’ Breakfast: Walla Cafe, open at 7 am, lovely staff, limited menu. Soon to go out of business, I fear, as the adjacent parent restaurant is far too ambitious for the location.

JMHO.

Oops, forgot two more for the Good column: La Candela ( typical Mexican fare, local fave), Le Chef (fancier food, on the waterfront).

We typically have lunch in our room rather than go to a restaurant. Mega's bakery is excellent and has very good fresh bread and other baked goods. Their bakery style empanadas are also tasty. The bread is only good for about 2 days, but we found it worth it to make the trip every couple of days for new freshly baked rolls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom