Cozumel Rash/Little Bumps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juvenile box jellyfish. Too tiny to see...
When you get out of the water and dry off they sting you as they die. There is no obvious stinging feeling. The rash shows up later. The rash can also appear around the neck seal area of the wetsuit. People who get into the jellies while they are swimming can get them inside their suits. Later, when they get back to the room and take the suit off they have a rash all over their private areas.
If the suit isn't washed thoroughly, a person can be stung months later when they wear the same suit.
Just rub cortizone cream on it for a few days and it will go away.

there are many things in the ocean which could cause that problem. i cannot dispute the guesses so far. my own guess would be sea lice. if you have a very good prescription plan, i would try clobex on it. but beware very very expensive. the pee thing to to get uric acid to dissolve any stingers which may still be in you. that btw is the best cure for sea urchin stings which this is unlikey to be. it would not hurt to try some bacetration in case there is some toxin near the surface.
at any rate do not worry. it will eventually go away and does no permanent harm. i have been to coz every year for about 19 years now. someone in the group always seems to get the damn stuff.
good luck and pls let us know if you find a sure cure. try not to touch things with your hands while below next year.

Well, yes, I am certain they are Cozumel-diving related since they--the rash and little bumps--have come three times in a row after diving there, and never anytime or anywhere else. How's that for deductive reasoning, Watson?

They do not burn or cause any irritation or hardly any discomfort; they cause a bit of swelling. They look scary as heck!

I wear a full wet suit (no gloves allowed in Cozumel) and only get these little bumps and rash on my hands. And no, to the funny question, they are not 'crunchy.' :popcorn:

They are slowly going away 6 days after getting out of the water.

The mystery continues....

Tell this to the DM next time and he'll let you were gloves. Maybe just light weight, transparent gloves like medical pros use...

For those of you who said vinegar, update your knowledge base; read the DAN magazine more.

Here is the SB discussion from last April: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/230816-vinegar-no-longer-included-my-dive-bag.html

You have to be signed into DAN to access this link: Divers Alert Network : Alert Diver Articles

Alert Diver Article
Stings Update: Conventional Treatments Get Revamped
May / June 2008 Issue
By: Marty McCafferty & Renee Duncan

Divers are more likely to come in contact with jellyfish, fire coral or other stinging hydroids than any other venomous marine life. Brushing against the marine animal in the water, on the mooring line or on the bottom will cause the stinging cells known as nematocytes to discharge. These stinging cells normally immobilize prey. In humans they can cause painful injury.

Besides being painful, venomous marine animal injuries can cause severe allergic reactions in susceptible individuals. In some cases, the injured diver may have difficulty breathing if the airway swells and closes. If this happens, it is important to maintain an open airway in the individual.

In addition to checking the injured diver for pain and allergic reactions, the first aid provider may have to give cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

In such events, all divers need to become familiar with the warning signs for a severe allergic reaction, appropriate first aid measures and CPR. (See sidebar.)

If you or your buddy gets stung, would you know what to do?

Check your training: New recommendations advise against using vinegar for jellyfish injuries, with the exception of treating the sting of Chironex fleckeri, better known as the box jellyfish. DO use vinegar for this sting.

Hot water is now the remedy of choice for most jellyfish stings. Studies have found that hot water (113Ž¡F/45Ž¡C) can neutralize the venom in common jellyfish, fire coral, hydroids, Portuguese man-o-war and anemones. These toxins are heat-labile, which means they break down chemically with sufficient heat.

Use the following steps to treat stings from common jellyfish, fire coral, hydroids, Portuguese man-o-war and anemones.
1. To dislodge any remaining tentacles, flush the area with large amounts of sea water. Note: Using fresh water can trigger any undischarged nematocytes.
2. To neutralize any undischarged nematocytes, immerse the affected area in hot water and/or a hot shower for 30 to 90 minutes.
3. Remove the tentacles with tweezers or forceps.
4. Shave the area with shaving cream and a safety razor. If these are not available, scrape the area with a credit card or tongue depressor.
5. Apply topical hydrocortisone lotion or cream.
6. Monitor for allergic reaction or infection.
7. If hot water is unavailable, apply warm packs to control the pain. If hot water is available, repeat immersion in hot water as necessary to help control pain.
8. If warm packs are not available, apply ice or cold packs to help control pain.​
As a general recommendation, do not rub the area and get to medical attention as soon as possible.

V is for vinegar

For box-type jellyfish stings, soak the affected area in household white vinegar or any other mild acetic acid (a 3-5 percent solution is recommended). This neutralizes the undischarged nematocytes on the skin.

A special note about the Portuguese man-o-war: Do not use vinegar for these stings, as it will cause the nematocytes to discharge.

Last edited:
DandyDon:
I looked at the DAN website after reading your post (Dive Medicine FAQ: Coral Cuts, Scrapes and Rashes). And it states the following:

If fire coral is the culprit, then dilute acetic acid solution, such as household white vinegar, is a reasonable topical decontaminant and should be used as a soak to reduce the pain. It's inexpensive and readily available. Other substances that have been used with variable effect are rubbing alcohol, baking soda or papain, which is unseasoned meat tenderizer, in solution or as a paste. If commercial meat tenderizer is used, the application must not last longer than 10 minutes. This will prevent the remedy from injuring sensitive skin.

What update in protocol are you referring to?

Well, yes, I am certain they are Cozumel-diving related since they--the rash and little bumps--have come three times in a row after diving there, and never anytime or anywhere else. How's that for deductive reasoning, Watson?

What I was alluding to my dear Watson is that if perhaps you were staying at the same resort or hotel it would be possible you could be having a reaction to laundry products they use on the sheets, cosmetic products such as hand lotion provided by the hotel or maybe even bed bugs that you are having an allergic reaction to.

Just trying to think out of the box a little for you. Seems tho you got it all figured out. Good luck with the rash dude.

My wife is allergic to a number of things. We made the mistake one year by swimming in the ocean during an algae bloom. She immediately developed a severe red rash with bumps that lasted about a week and was miserable for about 3 days. Do you have any allergies? Perhaps you could speak to your family physician and he can give you tips on how to prevent this.

DandyDon:
I looked at the DAN website after reading your post (Dive Medicine FAQ: Coral Cuts, Scrapes and Rashes). And it states the following:

What update in protocol are you referring to?
Sorry, I went back to my previous post to add links and the most recent DAN article. Some older articles will seem to contradict it.

I don't know what is stinging the original, no-profile, gender not specified thread poster, but plastic gloves would sound like the best defense - altho I have to wonder why the hands are affected but not the face and neck? I have no idea what else is happening to his/her hands while in Cozumel that could be causing the rash, but does not cause one on his/her neck, face, more sensitive areas, etc? Allergic reaction to handling Pesos? Who knows?

We'll probly keep hearing to use all the other ideas for years, some of which certainly cause more harm than good. Most of our knowledge on the sea comes from fishermen and other sailors and they don't read the DAN magazine, and then - some of those ideas like windex & kerosene are like urban myths that just will not die.

DandyDon:
Thanks for the additional info and links. Given the lack of a positive identification of the source of the rash, specific treatment is tough. In my daughter's case, we were lucky (?) that we saw the contact and could positively identify stinging coral. Mystery rashes are a bit more troublesome.

It is possible you had some incidental contact with stinging coral. My daughter had a not-so-incidental contact in November in Cozumel. It was quite a rash/reaction. We went to the doctor who gave her a corticosteroid cream, which seemed to make it worse. We checked with DAN and found out that the steroids were not the answer, but vinegar compresses and very warm soaks would do the trick. It took a couple of weeks, but she recovered completely. Hers was a pretty big contact, though (upper thigh to below the knee).

DandyDon:
Thanks for the additional info and links. Given the lack of a positive identification of the source of the rash, specific treatment is tough. In my daughter's case, we were lucky (?) that we saw the contact and could positively identify stinging coral. Mystery rashes are a bit more troublesome.
Ah, I had not really read your previous post closely. I don't think any of us know what the OP really was reacting to so these discussions are seldom very productive - and I just missed your story.

According to that article, for stinging coral: Remove any particles left with credit card and razor, very warm soaks or compresses, topical hydrocortisone - not venigar, but then...
Different medical pros are going to give different views;

Different patients are going to have different reactions to the toxins and the treatments both; and

If plan A doesn't work, try plan B. :D
We are intruders to a foreign environment when we fall of those boats so we have to adjust accordingly. Even the first whales returned to land to give birth, and for us - everything is unnatural.

I have gone on & on many times on SB with my stand that Shorties are for Freshwater Skiers and Jet Skiers only, and while shops like to sell Shorties because they're so much easier to fit and sell in quantity, divers who don't want increased risks should always wear long skins at least, if not long jumpsuits. I take it your daughter was not so well protected if she got it on the thigh? Yeah, I've done a lot of snorkeling in swim suits and some in Shorties, but those times are increased risk times.

I guess I am hijacking the thread tho, sorry. :blush: The OP was wearing a long suit, but had a reaction on his/her hands, yet not other parts of his/her body while in Coz. :hmmm: I am leaning towards the ink in Peso. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom