Cozumel questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deep down under

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all I was wondering if someone could help me out with some questions I have?
1) While shopping or at resturants what method of payment is best to pay with ( Pesos ,American money or credit cards)
2) Is hitchhiking allowed?
3) Can you rent Bikes and locks ( and location to rent)
4) Is there a shop that sells dive equipment in town?

Thanks all

1) pesos
2) people do it frequently, not sure about legality
3) lots of rental shops in town
4) Cozumel Scuba Repair (back in town, best to taxi)
Pro dive on the square
Deep exposure
Shop on 15th south of downtown

Lots of places don’t take credit cards, so you’ll want pesos. They will probably take USD, but not at a good exchange rate. At the fancier restaurants that take cards, it depend on you card. Do they charge foreign transaction fees? Exchange rates on cards are usually pretty good, but make sure the restaurant charges in pesos, not USD. I use credit cards at the grocery stores, Mega and Chedraui, unless I’m trying to get some smaller bills in change. If I’m eating tacos at El Pique, Los Tacotales, Tacos Diaz, or El Foco, definitely pesos. Del Sur, Especias, using a card and paying pesos. I think lion fish-eater got the places I know that sell gear. The place I stay has bikes for guests. I have read about bike rentals, but I don’t know details.

I heard Casa Mexicana hotel has bikes I'm wondering do they have bike locks that they let you use also?

I have used Rogelio at Sombrero bicycles five times after an exhaustive bike rental search in Cozumel. They supply the bikes, locks, helmets and air pump for a more reasonable price than the other bicycle shops. Good luck.

I have used Rogelio at Sombrero bicycles five times after an exhaustive bike rental search in Cozumel. They supply the bikes, locks, helmets and air pump for a more reasonable price than the other bicycle shops. Good luck.
I rented from Rogelio at Sombrero Rentals a couple of times and had good experiences both times. Both times we rented mountain bikes, and his website used to show mountain bikes, cruiser bikes and road/triathlon bikes. Now the website seems to focus on tri bikes -- do they still rent other types?

@deep down under Whoever you end up renting from, I'd highly suggest bringing your own lights front & rear if you think you might be out past sunset (sunset seems to occur fairly early on the island to me). At least cheap blinky "be seen" lights front and rear, though maybe a better "to see by" front light if you plan to venture far from the main town roads after dark.

Peso acquired at a BANK ATM. Decline any offered CONVERSION RATE, a gimmick to charge more. Be sure to tell your bank that you will be using cards in Mexico in advance and ask if they offer free transactions in any way.

I rented from Rogelio at Sombrero Rentals a couple of times and had good experiences both times. Both times we rented mountain bikes, and his website used to show mountain bikes, cruiser bikes and road/triathlon bikes. Now the website seems to focus on tri bikes -- do they still rent other types?

@deep down under Whoever you end up renting from, I'd highly suggest bringing your own lights front & rear if you think you might be out past sunset (sunset seems to occur fairly early on the island to me). At least cheap blinky "be seen" lights front and rear, though maybe a better "to see by" front light if you plan to venture far from the main town roads after dark.
Excellent idea about bringing battery bike lights. We have been doing that the last few times and definitely feel it adds to our safety factor as we cruise around at night.

I know Rogelio is big on all the Iron Man marathons and does a fair business renting bikes to participants. We always get the same two mountain bikes, although as of last December, he purchased a few new ones.
Villa Aldora also has bikes for use. I will be there shortly to try theirs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom