Cozumel photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy43068:
of camera do you have? I've got a Cannon A85 but am afraid to take it in the water with a housing. I'm afraid that if the thing leaks I'm screwed...

what good is a camera if you're afraid to use it?

I have an Olympus 4040. I've had the camera for quite awhile, just never had the housing for it.

The housings are made for divers who are photographers. Make sure you get the right housing for your camera. Some camera models do not have an underwater housing made for them.

Here is something you should do anytime you get a new housing regardless:

Take the housing diving without the camera the first time...that way you can make sure the seals and o-rings are good. With proper care and maintenance, you should not have any trouble.

Christi:
Take the housing diving without the camera the first time...that way you can make sure the seals and o-rings are good. With proper care and maintenance, you should not have any trouble.

Everyone says this :) I have been taking cameras underwater for almost ten years now...longer than some, not as long as others. I have NEVER done this and haven't had a new system flood.

Yes, if you have screwed up putting it together you won't douse your camera first time out...but if you are careful when you put it together AND check it on the surface and as you decend, I think your chances are pretty slim. Maintenance and a solid routine with really checking that seal is paramount. And frankly, I think your chances of a flood are probably as good on dive one as on dive 10 :wink:

For me personally, I wouldn't bother...I want my camera with me coz if I don't have it you know that's when the mating manta rays will stop right in front of me. YMMV

Yea, what Christi and alcina say. So many times I say to myself, no camera today, I just want a relaxing dive....but I wind up taking it with anyway because I just don't want to miss that special shot....I don't worry about flooding because I take care of my gear and take care when I set up. I could be walking across the street and somebody bumps me and I drop it....If it happens it happens and there is nothing I can do about it.
PS: ok...I've seen you write it sooo many times...what does YMMV mean?

alcina:
LOL...Your Mileage May Vary :wink:

And I agree...a camera is just a paperweight with no value if you don't use it! Let's go dive!!

To set the record straight the camera in question is used extensively. Jut not used underwater... YET. I don't know about the rest of you, but contrary to popular belief, I don't have unlimited funding so I'm usually a little cautious about using a untried camera housing underwater. Granted we're not talking about a ton of money, but 300 bucks is a lot of money to me.

Just thought of this.. I'll take the empty housing down first to see if it leaks. If it's good to go.. then I'm golden with it, in goes the camera and away I go! Who knows, maybe I'll be posting some pictures of penny on here aftter she takes me to Cozumel.

Randy43068:
To set the record straight the camera in question is used extensively. Jut not used underwater... YET. I don't know about the rest of you, but contrary to popular belief, I don't have unlimited funding so I'm usually a little cautious about using a untried camera housing underwater. Granted we're not talking about a ton of money, but 300 bucks is a lot of money to me.

Well, from what I hear most flooding of camera housings happen because of pilot error in loading, like a grain of sand in the O-ring or something, so all you really check when you take down an empty housing is the manufacturer's guarantee.

I guess it's peace of mind, but be prepared for The Greatest Photo Op Of All Time to happen right in front of you when you're down there with an empty housing... ;^)

ggunn:
Well, from what I hear most flooding of camera housings happen because of pilot error in loading, like a grain of sand in the O-ring or something, so all you really check when you take down an empty housing is the manufacturer's guarantee.

I guess it's peace of mind, but be prepared for The Greatest Photo Op Of All Time to happen right in front of you when you're down there with an empty housing... ;^)

Since I have no experience with the dang thing I can't argue the point, nor would I care to. I'm talking about ONE dive just to test the thing out. I work as an engineer most of the time and know how crudly some things are manfactured so I want to test it first.

Thanks for the tip about keeping the seals clean. That's a good point.

Now if everyone will stop hammering on me about the darn thing. Criminy! I'll get the housing and try it out.. :lightning

Randy43068:
Who knows, maybe I'll be posting some pictures of penny on here aftter she takes me to Cozumel.

Oh, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup........

Randy43068:
Now if everyone will stop hammering on me about the darn thing. Criminy! I'll get the housing and try it out.. :lightning

Do you have it yet? Do ya, do ya, huh, huh???? :lilbunny:

Randy43068:
Since I have no experience with the dang thing I can't argue the point, nor would I care to. I'm talking about ONE dive just to test the thing out. I work as an engineer most of the time and know how crudly some things are manfactured so I want to test it first.

Thanks for the tip about keeping the seals clean. That's a good point.

Good. Now, hop to it! ;^)

===========================================================
Sidebar: A priest, a lawyer, and an engineer are all scheduled for execution by guillotine. The priest is placed on the device, the executioner pulls the rope, but the blade does not come down. The priest jumps up and exclaims, "It is divine intervention! You cannot execute me this day." The executioner agrees and lets him go.

Next, the lawyer is laid out under the blade, the rope is pulled, and again the blade stays up. The lawyer jumps up and says, "You have tried to kill me and failed. To try again would constitute double jeopardy; you cannot execute me this day." Again the executioner agrees, and the lawyer is released.

As the engineer is being led up to the guillotine, he looks up and cries, "Wait a minute! I think I see your problem..."
===========================================================

Have a good day, brother engineer!

Now how in the world do any of you expect me to get the darn housing? I'm laughing hard enough to cry!
Seriously!

And speaking of being serious. I've heard that Wal-Mart has aforementioned camera housings. Any truth to that rumor?

Penny, you hafta stay out of the way. When I try to take some really cool pics of the fishies and whatnot you can’t hog the shot!

Back
Top Bottom