COZUMEL-October Trip questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are also for the entirety of Mexico. I took that into consideration. In my dilemma of to rent a car or not to rent a car, do you know of any drivers that would be willing to sort of be on call for service? Like, if you set up with them to pay x amount up front and x amount at the end of the week. They could still drive others, but when we text them they pick us up. This way we’d have the same person for the week and easy access. They’d be guaranteed pay for the week and still be able to make $$ outside of what we’d pay. Just a thought.

Cozumel is very safe, small town USA safe

There are many down here like that - Paul just had a guy @flyboy08 is that him. Otherwise join one of these two facebook groups

Facebook Groups

Cozumel My Cozumel

There are tons of people there that can give you driver leads and of course FOOD!!!

Also, the taxi people have a facebook page, the respond quickly to messages

Taxis Cozumel

A note about taxis - I have never been "overcharged" but others have been - ask the rate before you get in - 99.9% of them guys are fantastic but it's just better to avoid problems. Here is a rate chart, keep it with you, the north hotel zone isn't on there but it gives you ideas on cost - price is in pesos

118206765_1501911250001668_8299050928942337910_o.jpg

Looking for some advise. Just booked my first trip to Cozumel for the end of October. We are flying into Cancun and taking the Ferry. We were supposed to go to Bonaire, but that has been cancelled 4 times so I rebooked that for April with fingers crossed. I’ve been reading through a lot on here and have gotten some great restaurant advice. Looking to dive with Salty Endeavors based on recommendations here. Staying at the Miramar. I’m not going to lie, I’m a little nervous as I’ve never been to Cozumel.
Here are a few of my questions/concerns.
1. Safety? You hear stories but then I’ve also heard that Coz is safe just don’t be an idiot.
2. Best way to get to the Ferry?
3. Car rental? I was planning on renting a car, is it easy to do once you get to Coz?
4. Miramar has access to the ocean. Do you think it’s worth renting tanks and exploring there when we’re not boat diving?
5. Any must do dive locations I should request?
6. Any must do activities outside of diving?
7. Any votes for yummy eats. :) We just go to eat and dive.
I think that’s it for now and I really appreciate any tips or advise you may have for me.
Thanks!!!
If you are planning on renting a car, rent it from Yes in Cancun and catch the car ferry. You will save money every day on the car rental. You will not have to worry about how to get to the ferry. If there are 3 or more you save money on the ferry ride by taking the car ferry. When you get off the ferry you save by driving to where you are going. Only down side is less crossings on the car ferry.

I could manage a 5 minute walk, if that’s all it really is I suppose.
I really don't know. Google maps thinks that it's one Km/0.6 miles each way and suggests 13 minutes. That sounds like a brisk hike to me in my younger years. His morning boats leave the marina at 8 am so you'd want to start at 7:30 am I think.

Haven’t been since 1994, LOL. Good to know. Is it best to get the money once your there or bring with you? Better to pay with CC if that’s an option? I’m sure not everyone takes CC.
No, it's best to use your debit card at a Bank affiliated ATM to draw Pesos.* (Not one but two trips I forgot to tell my bank I was going to use it in Mexico and the machine ate it! I was carrying emergency money and credit cards anyway, but ruined my plan.) The challenge after that is that they usually give out 500 Peso bills so hit a store to break one ASAP. Things cost more in USDollars and credit cards if the merchant takes cards.

* There is also a Dynamic Conversion gimmick to avoid. See this thread, but they may have given up on that. More photos of the bank ATM scam If you were to rent a car, watch out at gas stations! New gas station scam to watch for

In my dilemma of to rent a car or not to rent a car, do you know of any drivers that would be willing to sort of be on call for service? Like, if you set up with them to pay x amount up front and x amount at the end of the week. They could still drive others, but when we text them they pick us up. This way we’d have the same person for the week and easy access. They’d be guaranteed pay for the week and still be able to make $$ outside of what we’d pay. Just a thought.
I see that discussed in FB Cozumel groups. I'd just pay as I go and tip (not always suggested as high as taxi fares are in Coz) each trip.

I agree completely. I did read the advisory, but felt comfortable based on my research and what the advisory stated. I just wanted to make sure that Cozumel is generally a safe place to visit. My boss was like “you can’t go there, it’s dangerous”.
It's day & night different from the areas that make the news, which is all that most people have to go on. There are places on the other side of the Rio Grande I'd like to visit, but no way on that.

A note about taxis - I have never been "overcharged" but others have been - ask the rate before you get in - 99.9% of them guys are fantastic but it's just better to avoid problems. Here is a rate chart, keep it with you, the north hotel zone isn't on there but it gives you ideas on cost - price is in pesos

View attachment 609871
I've got that map that Chuck posted and another, but I can't read Spanish so it doesn't really help me. Chuck, what would it be from Miramar to the north marina? It looks like 75 Pesos = $3.50 USD, or would it be extra to pick up at the condos like they do at Mega and hotels?
Coz taxi 1.jpg

If you are planning on renting a car, rent it from Yes in Cancun and catch the car ferry. You will save money every day on the car rental. You will not have to worry about how to get to the ferry. If there are 3 or more you save money on the ferry ride by taking the car ferry. When you get off the ferry you save by driving to where you are going. Only down side is less crossings on the car ferry.
That would be too much adventure for me! Getting the car off of the island in time to get back to the Cancun airport, turn in, and check-in for an early plane could ruin a trip.

Cozumel is very safe, small town USA safe

There are many down here like that - Paul just had a guy @flyboy08 is that him. Otherwise join one of these two facebook groups

Facebook GroupsI have a pending request here.

Cozumel My Cozumeljust signed up, thanks for the suggestions

There are tons of people there that can give you driver leads and of course FOOD!!!

Also, the taxi people have a facebook page, the respond quickly to messages—So it sounds like taxis are readily available and not really an issue. I live in the mountains where that just isn’t a thing. So, I think that’s my hesitation.

Taxis Cozumel

View attachment 609871

Regarding the money questions, I do it the easy way. I get my pesos at Wells Fargo for no transaction fee. They don't charge fees if they have the currency you want in their vault, i.e., Pesos, Euros, Pounds. I would never try an ATM transaction anywhere outside the U.S. IMO, it's not worth taking the risk of a scam or the fact that very little of the transaction is in English, so it's confusing. Plus, who wants to hunt down money on vacation? I'd rather spend that time with a cocktail in my hand.:cheers: The fees can add up getting your money outside the U.S. You need to find out how much your debit bank card charges for the foreign transaction fee. It's usually 2-4%. Then you'll have two ATM fees, one from your bank at home for using an out-of-network ATM and one from the bank's ATM machine you're standing at. It varies, but could be an unpleasant amount when it's all done.

If you have extra Pesos at the end of your trip, you can spend them in the airport to buy your lunch or bottled water or give them to a local Mexican citizen and make their day. If you do bring them home, then you have a few to start your next trip. Wells Fargo will also buy them back (not coins, just bills) at a lower buyback rate than your purchase rate, but it's nominal.

I always take USD, Pesos, and credit cards (Visa & Mastercard, no Am Ex or Discover)...lots of redundant back-up money. Check with your bank if they charge a foreign transaction fee for credit card use.

I do it the easy way. I get my pesos at Wells Fargo for no transaction fee.
People fall for that line a lot.
5,000 Pesos at WF: $245.67
5,000 Pesos on google: $231.88
That's a 6% fee hidden in their rates before I have to figure FedEx fees and meeting the courier, and I think the original poster who lives in the mountains would have the same issue. My costs at the ATM are in the 2% range.

I would never try an ATM transaction anywhere outside the U.S.
Always check for skimmers, but I've had no problems. I am well protected and check my Wells Fargo app soon after to check my fees. Your carried Pesos are not so safe.

The fees can add up getting your money outside the U.S. You need to find out how much your debit bank card charges for the foreign transaction fee. It's usually 2-4%. Then you'll have two ATM fees, one from your bank at home for using an out-of-network ATM and one from the bank's ATM machine you're standing at. It varies, but could be an unpleasant amount when it's all done.
As I mentioned my combined costs are around 2%, a third of what you pay to risk losing the Pesos on the way.

If you do bring them home, then you have a few to start your next trip.
Ok, I'll agree with that.

People fall for that line a lot.
5,000 Pesos at WF: $245.67
5,000 Pesos on google: $231.88
That's a 6% fee hidden in their rates before I have to figure FedEx fees and meeting the courier, and I think the original poster who lives in the mountains would have the same issue. My costs at the ATM are in the 2% range.

Always check for skimmers, but I've had no problems. I am well protected and check my Wells Fargo app soon after to check my fees. Your carried Pesos are not so safe.

As I mentioned my combined costs are around 2%, a third of what you pay to risk losing the Pesos on the way.

Ok, I'll agree with that.

I had a card scammed that was only used at two places and it never left my sight - Boxito is a big box store similar to Lowes and Euan which is a very large lumber like company - that card was never used anywhere else on this island, not even ATM's - a place with an address on Ave 30 was charging 200 bucks at a time.

If either one of those ladies cloned my card, they are fantastic quick change artists because I watched the whole time.

I had a card scammed that was only used at two places and it never left my sight - Boxito is a big box store similar to Lowes and Euan which is a very large lumber like company - that card was never used anywhere else on this island, not even ATM's - a place with an address on Ave 30 was charging 200 bucks at a time.

If either one of those ladies cloned my card, they are fantastic quick change artists because I watched the whole time.
Ok, that was using your card to make purchases, riskier than ATM withdrawals at a bank Atm. I used to use my credit card some on visits and did have some fraudulent charges show up later. That happens in the US as often tho, I think.

Gosh, I’ve used my ATM on every continent and then some for the last 20 years and never ever had an issue. And fee free with full atm charges refunded.

No worries here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom