COZUMEL-October Trip questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you’re staying at Miramar you might want to also consider diving with Aldora because you can board the boat and get dropped off at Villa Aldora which is much closer to Miramar. It’s a few minute cab ride or maybe 10 to 15 minute walk where the other shops will pick you up in town or in the marina near town.
She's already picked you an excellent Op who will pick them up at their hotel I believe.

I don't know where Miramar is.
Google maps shows it north of town halfway between the northern marina and the golf course, and sky view confirms.

She's already picked you an excellent Op who will pick them up at their hotel I believe.

Henry said that they can’t pick us up at the condo because they don’t have a pier accessible by boat. He said it’s about a 5 minute walk or 1 minute taxi ride. I’m toying with the idea of whether or not to rent a car. Having never done it, I’m concerned with how easy will it be to get wherever we want to go when we want to go.

Before you go, you might want to check to see if there are any travel advisories issued by the State Department.

Henry said that they can’t pick us up at the condo because they don’t have a pier accessible by boat. He said it’s about a 5 minute walk or 1 minute taxi ride. I’m toying with the idea of whether or not to rent a car. Having never done it, I’m concerned with how easy will it be to get wherever we want to go when we want to go.
Ah ha, ok. I stay at a cheap place I like downtown and walk to & from a dock nearby. I looked at the condo's site to try to get an exact street address, even messaged them and got a fast reply, but they didn't actually answer. I asked again. You can try it different ways, walk one way, take a taxi back (agree on fare before boarding! Henry can tell you what it should be.), and consider renting if it comes to that.

Ever been to Mexico? Everything is cheaper if you pay in Pesos, and the cheapest way to get those it from a Bank ATM, not one of the dangerous free standing money machines.

Before you go, you might want to check to see if there are any travel advisories issued by the State Department.
Yeah, our state department has a Don't-Go advisory for the country. Cozumel is going Yellow Monday so things seem to be improving. Any travel these days carries exposure risk, but Hot-spot Florida is expecting a big rush this weekend. I've cancelled trip after trip this summer but would have made it to Cozumel last month if my airline hadn't failed me so badly.

Yeah, our state department has a Don't-Go advisory for the country. Cozumel is going Yellow Monday so things seem to be improving. Any travel these days carries exposure risk, but Hot-spot Florida is expecting a big rush this weekend. I've cancelled trip after trip this summer but would have made it to Cozumel last month if my airline hadn't failed me so badly.
Yup. Everyone has to make a decision and accept a risk that they are comfortable with based on the information that they have at the time. Things are changing all the time, I simply wanted to make sure that the Op had been made aware of the info in that link and if they felt it worthwhile, to factor that info into their "Go/No Go" decision.

Yup. Everyone has to make a decision and accept a risk that they are comfortable with based on the information that they have at the time. Things are changing all the time, I simply wanted to make sure that the Op had been made aware of the info in that link and if they felt it worthwhile, to factor that info into their "Go/No Go" decision.

The US government travel advisories are out dated and just written to the extreme - just my opinion, I live here and see the news for the whole state of Q Roo.

The US government travel advisories are out dated and just written to the extreme - just my opinion, I live here and see the news for the whole state of Q Roo.
And that is where the part where I said "Everyone has to make a decision and accept a risk that they are comfortable with ..." comes into play. People have different comfort levels and are willing to accept different levels of risk.

Ah ha, ok. I stay at a cheap place I like downtown and walk to & from a dock nearby. I looked at the condo's site to try to get an exact street address, even messaged them and got a fast reply, but they didn't actually answer. I asked again. You can try it different ways, walk one way, take a taxi back (agree on fare before boarding! Henry can tell you what it should be.), and consider renting if it comes to that.

I could manage a 5 minute walk, if that’s all it really is I suppose.

Ever been to Mexico? Everything is cheaper if you pay in Pesos, and the cheapest way to get those it from a Bank ATM, not one of the dangerous free standing money machines.

Haven’t been since 1994, LOL. Good to know. Is it best to get the money once your there or bring with you? Better to pay with CC if that’s an option? I’m sure not everyone takes CC.

They are also for the entirety of Mexico. I took that into consideration. In my dilemma of to rent a car or not to rent a car, do you know of any drivers that would be willing to sort of be on call for service? Like, if you set up with them to pay x amount up front and x amount at the end of the week. They could still drive others, but when we text them they pick us up. This way we’d have the same person for the week and easy access. They’d be guaranteed pay for the week and still be able to make $$ outside of what we’d pay. Just a thought.

And that is where the part where I said "Everyone has to make a decision and accept a risk that they are comfortable with ..." comes into play. People have different comfort levels and are willing to accept different levels of risk.

I agree completely. I did read the advisory, but felt comfortable based on my research and what the advisory stated. I just wanted to make sure that Cozumel is generally a safe place to visit. My boss was like “you can’t go there, it’s dangerous”.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom