Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to question the use of the term "professionals" to describe someone doing some thing this foolhardy. Even the captain did not know the plan of the divers he was carrying. Might not be a big deal on a site with no current and a hard bottom at 60 or even 100feet. These so-called professionals put the other people on the boat at risk, the captain, and the emergency responders. A proper dive plan would have taken these things into consideration and at the very least the captain and crew would have had some idea of what was could possibly happen and prepared for it. Instead they ignored all safe diving practices and even common courtesy. A card does not make someone a professional. Nor is it only when they are on the job. It is in every aspect of their life. PADI puts heavy emphasis on role model behavior as does every agency for its professional members. This was not an example of that.
pro·fes·sion·al

/prəˈfɛʃ
thinsp.png
ə
thinsp.png
nl
/

adjective 1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

She has essentially become a prisoner in her own mind. She is (very unfortunately!) without any means of changing her situation in any form or fashion! Now and for the remainder of her life totally dependent on others for every aspect of her existence! Even if she wanted to terminate this situation, she has no capability or means of doing so.

Some would call this is a fate worse than death.

Some would call this is a fate worse than death.
I don't want to hijack this anymore than it has drifted at times, but still - after watching my dad as I mentioned, I wonder: If I think I am having a heart attack, do I really want to call for help, knowing that they will load me in a chopper and I won't have any recourse from there on? Dad was getting around okay on his walker until we let his cousin drive him around - and he told her to wait in the pickup while he went inside a cattle auction to see old friends, without his walker. I heard about that going down after his second hip break and his chopper ride, and he never saw daylight again.

IEven the captain did not know the plan of the divers he was carrying.

Actually, we have never heard from the captain. We have heard this from a spokesperson for the captain. Everyone covers their asses in a situation like this.

Last edited:
That happens a lot in life doesn't it? I watched my dad his last year or so drift into that situation - us making sure he got the best medical care possible, him unable to leave the hospital on his on power, then unable to get out of bed, wishing he could so he could go end on his own, asking us to help him leave, but of course we couldn't. Sad but what do you do?

That's a tough one, Don, for everyone involved. I've heard that the "death industry" can help with these cases, as they're not as emotionally involved with the patient. But I haven't met anyone yet who could support anything but the best care for their loved one.

I don't know if Opal or Gabi had tech training, but do we know if Heath had tech training? I'm wondering because he was the most conservative (less reckless?) of the three.

I don't know if Opal or Gabi had tech training, but do we know if Heath had tech training? I'm wondering because he was the most conservative (less reckless?) of the three.

Not really. Gabi went after Opal. First he probably told Heath: "Stay Heath stay"

Actually, we have never heard fromt he captain. We have heard this from a spokesperson for the captain. Everyone coverys their asses in a situation like this.

Hard to believe that the bravado on the boat didn't include boasting of the final depth and that the captain didn't hear. Plus, which captain doesn't ask "how long will you be down?" "Nine minutes, skipper" should have been a dead giveaway (assuming the words were not slurred).

The captain on every boat I've been on knew how long each diver was going to be down. Either because he set the time or in the case of technical dives because he had to know when to start looking for divers. Maybe it's different in Mexico but the captain is God at sea. If someone is going to do something that jeopardizes his other passengers, crew, or his vessel a responsible captain is going to put a stop to that. If he knows about it. Ask Wookie what he would do if someone came on his boat and started bragging about doing something like this. More likely they were acting like little kids and conspiring in hushed tones. What if the other people on the boat decided this was a good thing? Hey these were "professionals", they must know what they are doing and it will be ok. Sorry, too many reckless, irresponsible, and inconsiderate actions here for me to even entertain the thought of calling them professionals.

Even stunt men and women take reasonable precautions when performing. None were taken here and look at how many people are suffering. Look at how many victims they created who were nowhere near the site. Who considers that "professional" behavior? This type of diving may be done by many folks and been going on for years. But the first time I would hear of somone I knew doing this would be the time I would stop diving with them and certainly would never let anyone I cared about dive with them.

Interesting. When I earlier posted the question, "Another thing I wonder is how much light is down there at 400' and whether they brought lights with them. If not, how to locate someone at 400' assuming it's probably pretty dark?", I got the following response:

"It is very bright down there, at least at 249--just VERY black and white with great viz.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
"

I've been down over 1,000 feet in clear water (in the afternoon) and there was plenty of light to see without any lights. I could see over 100 feet with ambient light. It reminded me of a clear night with a full moon shinning ontot the snow covered ground.

If you read oceanography books they say around 600 ft the light cuts out, but it is NOT true.

I was in a submarine..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom