Cozumel in December 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Btravlin, I have been on rides to town to pick up other divers. Maybe email Opal and see if they will, cant hurt.

Hi Btravlin! On Christmas day Scubamau is open for business, they have one boat booked now and have 2 left to fill. Opal told me that the guys on the island celebrate Christmas gift opening on the eve so they like to take out the divers for Christmas day. Also they have New Years bookings available. But the big one is the New Years night dive. Opal said it was a blast last year. I'm trying to get my wife into the idea of doing the New Year there. Anyway if your there then look up Scubamaucozumel on line and tell Opal Kevin told you about it. Have a great time.
Like most predominantly Catholic places where the the religious holidays are a big part of the culture, Christmas Eve is a bigger celebration then Christmas Day. A lot of people will have big family dinners, go to an evening mass (not sure if it's specifically a midnight mass in Coz or not), then gather after as a family to really get the party going... gifts, food, drink, more food and more drink... into the wee hours. Xmas Day is for taking it slow and easy and recuperating.

If a dive op is opening in Cozumel on Christmas day, I would think it's more because they know few will and it's a great businesses opportunity, not just because "they like to take out the divers on Christmas Day." :wink:

If you're diving Xmas day, tip generously. Your crew most likely had to cut their festivities short to be there (or they are a hurting bunch). :)

Last edited:
Hi Btravlin, I have been on rides to town to pick up other divers. Maybe email Opal and see if they will, cant hurt.

Thanks, but we have a few options where we can walk across the street from our hotel and get on the boat. The taxi cost isn't a big deal but extra time, hassle and taxi cost do add up over the course of a week.

If a dive op is opening in Cozumel on Christmas day, I would think it's more because they know few will and it's a great businesses opportunity, not just because they like to take out the divers on Christmas Day." :wink:

If you're diving Xmas day, tip generously. Your crew most likely had to cut their festivities short to be there (or they are a hurting bunch). :)

Most definitely agree.

I will be there dec 26 - 2 at the presidenti with the family, which includes 2 newly certified divers. Havent book the dive op yet. Was thinking about using the onsite dive op there "scuba-du", anyone ever dive with them?

Will be there Dec. 6-13. Haven't booked accommodation nor diving yet, but I'll probably stay in a cheapie hotel in town and choose a dive-op that can pick me up close by.

If a dive op is opening in Cozumel on Christmas day, I would think it's more because they know few will and it's a great businesses opportunity, not just because "they like to take out the divers on Christmas Day." :wink:

Not sure of the pointer your giving here but 'do ya think'. Of course it's a money maker. But they like taking them out just the same. It's festive. I dont get your point.
At least the tip part is nice.

Not sure of the pointer your giving here but 'do ya think'. Of course it's a money maker. But they like taking them out just the same. It's festive. I dont get your point.
At least the tip part is nice.

I don't want to put words into Scubawife's mouth (and lord knows she's quite capable of speaking her own mind) but I think she is saying that the op you are advocating for doesn't do so from goodness of their hearts, given culture and practices in Mexico. For them it's purely a business decision. Which is fine. Let's just call it for what it is.

I will be there dec 26 - 2 at the presidenti with the family, which includes 2 newly certified divers. Havent book the dive op yet. Was thinking about using the onsite dive op there "scuba-du", anyone ever dive with them?

Yes, I've been out with Scuba Du and it's an excellent choice -- service to match the hotel's, nice boats in various sizes, skilled & caring DM's and crew. (Not to mention that it's the most convenient op to use!) Divers are usually grouped by skill level, but if you want to dive with your newly-certified divers just let Antonio know. I you want the new two to improve in the sport quickly, Scuba Du has a DM named Hector Reyes who's a terrific teacher and confidence builder -- he speaks English fluently -- just an FYI if you're on his boat or if you'd like to hire him as a private DM for those two.

I don't want to put words into Scubawife's mouth (and lord knows she's quite capable of speaking her own mind) but I think she is saying that the op you are advocating for doesn't do so from goodness of their hearts, given culture and practices in Mexico. For them it's purely a business decision. Which is fine. Let's just call it for what it is.
Hmm... not sure if being capable of speaking my mind was a good or bad thing... :blinking: Yup, you got it Marg. And I agree, it's fine and actually, for a relatively new business, if they can get the crew to do it, it's sure to bring them a bit or new and loyal business. But they aren't doing it just because they do their gift opening Christmas Eve or else most of the shops would do the same... Anyone who's been anywhere in Mexico over the Holidays (Cozumel or elsewhere, tourist destination or not) knows it's a big deal and a big religious and family fiesta that starts in the evening and can go all night.

What better way for vacationing divers to spend Christmas Day then underwater. If there's a dive op going and you can get a spot, fantastic. Have a great day and let the crew know you appreciate them being there to make your holiday a little extra special. :wink:

I will be there in December. I don't have diving arrangements yet nor a hotel.

PD

Scuba Club Cozumel is nice, all inclusive dive resort (except alcoholic beverages), 5 minute walk to downtown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom