Cozumel in 3 months

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Where will Cozumel be at in 3 months. I'm considering still coming but do you think most motels and damage will have been fixed by this time. Will the diving be better in 90 days or will the viz still be bad?? I know we are only a few days into this but has anyone had experiences with hurricanes and clean up?? I also figure the local economy will need the money.

My main concern is that the people on the island are okay. I have a lot of faith Cozumel will be back up and running.

Cozumel is a very resilient community. I do believe that they will have bounced back about 75% in three month's time. I don't know for sure about the reefs, but I heard they were in pretty good visibility a few weeks after Emily, so hopefully 3 months will be enough for a decent recovery from monster Wilma.

I have been there after hurricanes and it doesn't take long for the dive sites to be up and running. Scuba Club still has guests, plan to shut down till ll/14 then reopen for fall and Xmas season. I plan to be there most of Dec. They will be back and I think we will get to see it again without all the cruise ships for a while.

3 months from now? No question I'd go, but you have plenty of time before you really have to decide. Do you already have plane tickets? If you don't, just wait a month and see how things are going.

I plan on going back in March. Even if it's not up to 100%, it's up to US to get Cozumel back on its feet. They need our money and tourism, so I for sure won't cancel my plans.
I just hope my hotel has a dock by then :wink:

For pictures of the destruction at Cozumel go to Stormcarib.com and scroll down to the pictures of Coz. My guess is that unless the Mexican government goes all out to help and considering the limited amount of construction equipment and supplies on the island it will indeed be months before Coz is back to "normal". Myheart goes out to the folks on Cozumel. I have been diving there since 1984 and have never seen anything like this. The Professor

The Professor:
My guess is that unless the Mexican government goes all out to help and considering the limited amount of construction equipment and supplies on the island it will indeed be months before Coz is back to "normal".
You are probably correct, but does the whole island really need to be back to "normal" before they are ready and willing for divers (not necessarily "tourists") to return? I don't think so. I think they will be ready by mid Dec. for divers.

I was told not to cancell my trip yet with Aldora because chances are We will be able to dive with no problems as long as the ports are open We are scheduled Nov 17. All of their boats are fine and the Aldora Villa is ok, So will just wait and see. It depends on the government and if they are letting the dive boats go out. Kathy

I plan on going in spring. These people are strong. They will get the island back to shape in no time. Oh by the way Bill Larosa with Aldora is fine.

Back
Top Bottom