Cozumel Diving photos Week of March 16 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here are a few photos of diving before things were shutdown. Diving was good and visibility had improved from a week or two before. Temps were around 79F per my computer. Fairly calm seas and slow current. It was a bit overcast and kept things cool a bit.

We did briefly see a black tip shark on one of the walls but it did not stick around. I had the camera only one day so few photos. I had hoped to use it last Saturday but our friends decided to leave early. We saw a few Eagle Rays with one that stuck around for a while. Lots of eels – brown spotted moray, green morays and a few goldentails. Some of the group did a night dive and found a spotted snake eel.

The green moray in the photo was hanging upside down. I have seen this behavior before and have heard theories about recent mating or recent meals but I don’t know for sure.

I have one photo of an unidentified “thing”. I lean towards some sort of worm but it sure does remind me of some kind of larval or initial phase vertebrate. If anyone knows what it is, let me know. It was in the sand rolling and tumbling with the current at about 40-50 feet. I would say it was about ¾ of an inch long and it generally liked to curl into a ring but was quite lively.

The island has slowed significantly with no cruise ships and planes coming in empty to take the last of the tourists. Cozumeleños are fishing more and many have already started to feel the pinch. There at least one local food banks accepting donations. The posts are on FB Cozumel4you and probably others. Know that I have not vetted them yet but we plan to donate. Many food markets are open with not much hoarding (last I saw there was plenty of TP). Delivery and take out is available from some restaurants. The president of Cozumel (Mayor) has announced an upcoming 11 pm curfew. Ferry schedules are limited. Banamex is allowing five customers in a group at a time into the lobby with other banks having military/police guards outside. I haven’t heard of any commotions.

On this last topic, this is just a general status here. If you want a debate, please see a different thread.

Good luck to all

Photos
Black Grouper

Coz Mar 18 2020 Black Grouper 001c.jpg

Blue Chromis
Coz Mar 18 2020 Blue Chromis 002c.jpg

Brown spotted eel
Coz Mar 18 2020 Brown Spotted Eel 001c.jpg

Green Moray Eel - Upside down
Coz Mar 18 2020 Green Moray Eel 001c.jpg

Shortfin pipefish
Coz Mar 18 2020 Shortfin Pipefish 001c.jpg

What is it? Maybe a worm but sure looks like it could be vertebrate (larval or initial phase of something).
Coz Mar 18 2020 What is it 001c.jpg

Cozumel tonight

Cozumel sunset 24 Mar 20.jpg

Your photos lift my spirit sitting here at home praying for the island! Thank you for posting them so much! That sunset just tugs at my heartstrings.... The underwater photos remind me that life will go on...
Your post of photos is appreciated more than you know!

Your photos lift my spirit sitting here at home praying for the island! Thank you for posting them so much! That sunset just tugs at my heartstrings.... The underwater photos remind me that life will go on...
Your post of photos is appreciated more than you know!

You're welcome

From Blue Angel, it looks like. That's where I always stay and I have many versions of the same photo.
LOL! I was thinking the same Gordon. I was gonna post "Who can ID this location?"

You should post your “worm with vertebrae” picture on the name that critter forum. I have no idea what that is.

From Blue Angel, it looks like. That's where I always stay and I have many versions of the same photo.

North end

You should post your “worm with vertebrae” picture on the name that critter forum. I have no idea what that is.

I will put it into the name that critter forum. I put what I think is a large eye toadfish in that forum before but no responses. Maybe I'll get lucky with the "what is it"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom