Cozumel Creature ID Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Has anybody seen these things in clumps (more than one)? If so, take a picture and post it pLeAsE!!

These things have planktonic larvae, like most echinoderms. So they'll be up in the shallows anyway. Baby urchins tend to hide in holes, with little/no regard for depth.

Two questions about them be seen in shallow water.
1. Were these daytime or night dives? Most urchins come out at night, so they're easier to spot.
2. Did these sites have (or were adjacent to) a pronounced slope/wall? They can vertically migrate a lot quicker.

All the one's I've seen were in daylight, as I said in ~25' of water in front of the VillaBlanca. The wall is a good 400 yds from there.

Archman...according to Humann's Id.....

Magnificent Urchin
astropyga magnifica

CLASS:
Sea Urchins
Echinoidea

FAMILY:
Diadematidae

Size: Body 2 - 5 3/4in.
Spines 2 1/2 - 4 1/2in.

Depth: 30 - 290ft.

Visual ID: Adults uniform dark purple or black. Spines much shorter and more slender than similar appearing Long Spine Urchin. Gaps between spines at joints of major plates. Juvenile body is pinkish crean to tan, with spines of greenish tan, banded in reddish brown bues. Rows of brilliant blue spots near base of spines.

Abundance & Distribution: Rare Florida, Caribbean; also north to South Carolina

Habitat & Behavior Prefer deep-water habitats, rarely within depth range of scuba.

Effect on divers: Spines easily puncture the skin and break off in the flesh, causing a painful wound.

The ones I've seen have all been during the day. I couldn't say with any confidence whether the sighting were adjacent to slopes or walls but since so many of Coz's sights are along the tops of slopes of some sort it's highly possible.

30-290 feet huh? Dang. I remember back when I was young and (more) arrogant, we'd scoff at the humann books as being simplistic and not particularly accurate. Over the years has the bitter truth been realized, that these guys get out in the field much more than scientists do. Thus their depth and distribution data tends to be better. Oh the pain...

Scubakevdm:
Hey! That's fantastic Jennifer, I have never had anything wave a giant anal cone at me. Hope you had a great trip.

Well, Kev, if something DOES wave a giant anal cone at you... duck :biggrin:!!

onbelaydave:
FWIW an old MMII shot from several years ago HERE

Dave's picture is, as usual, spectacular!

sapphire:
Dave's picture is, as usual, spectacular!

Signed up for an Allenhost site so I can link now.

aaa.jpg

As I said this was from a MMII shot on Royal Gold 400, I think in '99. Probably w/ the built in "close-up" lens.

"I remember back when I was young and (more) arrogant, we'd scoff at the humann books"

They haven't been around all that long. Late 80's or early 90's, if memory serves.

Walter:
"I remember back when I was young and (more) arrogant, we'd scoff at the humann books"

They haven't been around all that long. Late 80's or early 90's, if memory serves.

I was young and arrogant till about four years ago... oh how time flies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom