Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the 22-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           2,906  ->  2,970
     Social Isolation             591  ->    618
     Hospitalized                 165  ->    179
     Recovered                  1,637  ->  1,658
     Deaths                       513  ->    515
Q Roo Tests pending               238  ->    237

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               74  ->     74
     Recovered                     39  ->     39
     Deaths                        14  ->     14
     % Hospital rooms in use       19%  ->    19%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1275121123378769926/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

Velocity of increases in cases reported as 1.0 for the northern half of the state (no change) and 4.2 for the southern half (down from 4.6 previously).

There seemed to be quite a bit of activity around the ferry pier for the 12pm departure, with lots of taxis lined up (the previous arrival from Playa would have arrived around 10:45 if on schedule). A few of the shops on the malecon were open, maybe 10%, but most were closed. Dick's Dive was open, but had no customers around noon.

What is everyone worried about? Am I reading this right? 74 diagnosed cases on Cozumel with a population of let's say 100,000? Heck, my home resides in a rural area of VA (2nd poorest county in VA) where testing is lacking and we have about 1,000 tested positive out of a population of 33,000. Bottom line, I'm far safer walking around downtown Coz and visiting its establishments than any establishments in my entire county. My wife and I take our precautions, wear our masks, wash our hands and keep our bleach wipes in the truck. This virus seems to be more and more impacting those who don't take it seriously and those who refuse alter their behavior. Alter your behavior and take precautionary measures the odds of contracting it diminish to the point that you're worrying about nothing.

We should be there from 12/28 - 1/4! Also heading out on July 17!! Can't wait for that trip!

Having issues with quotes, but yle’s point about Mexico only testing the very sick is correct. Sadly , Q Roos positivity is worse than the 37 percent he quoted for Mexico Positivity here is about 53 percent since the beginning. At quick glance, it might actually be a little higher now based on past few days. Comparing numbers here versus US is apples and oranges as yle said.

That said , ignoring social distancing/masks is catching up with my area of rural Texas. Cases back home in the multi county area more than doubled over the weekend (and not from a particularly low number ), including an outbreak among employees at the biggest hospital within 100 miles

From the 23-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           2,970  ->  3,011
     Social Isolation             618  ->    638
     Hospitalized                 179  ->    177
     Recovered                  1,658  ->  1,674
     Deaths                       515  ->    522
Q Roo Tests pending               237  ->    370

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               74  ->     74
     Recovered                     39  ->     39
     Deaths                        14  ->     15
     % Hospital rooms in use       19%  ->    15%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1275474313672523777/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

Huge (50%) jump in pending cases!

From the 24-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           3,011  ->  3,142
     Social Isolation             638  ->    687
     Hospitalized                 177  ->    182
     Recovered                  1,674  ->  1,739
     Deaths                       522  ->    534
Q Roo Tests pending               370  ->    376

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               74  ->     80
     Recovered                     39  ->     42
     Deaths                        15  ->     16
     % Hospital rooms in use       15%   ->   21%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1275837201918693381/photo/1

Article today stated that nine hotels are operating, and it's estiamted that Cozumel has about 12% of the total island hotel rooms in use.

The woman who died yesterday was Pedro Pablo's (my Dm of 16+ years) sister-in-law (his wife Elizabeth's sister) - and it was confirmed complications from COVID-19

Christi, Please extend our condolences to Pedro & Elizabeth and their family. Thoughts and prayers to all.
Mike & Sue Behm

Texas never took this pandemic seriously...our local office in DFW kept telling me it’s a non event...I told them ...just wait and see....it’s sad that many could be saved if they just wore masks. Most didn’t, don’t!

it’s sad that many could be saved if they just wore masks. Most didn’t, don’t!
It seems the masks mostly protect others, not the person wearing so much, so it's an illustrated failure of the Golden Rule. I wear mine anytime in public.

We could control this bug in weeks if everyone did.

It seems the masks mostly protect others, not the person wearing so much, so it's an illustrated failure of the Golden Rule. I wear mine anytime in public.
That’s an odd reply...lol...yes, I wear one and that protects you...you wear one and that protects me :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom