Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the potential causation vs correlation issues makes my head spin...lol. If you just look at positive case counts, a lot of times it’s closely correlated with an increase in testing. But maybe more people are getting tested because more people are getting it. I tend to look at the positive test rate ratio, but that has the same variables.

How readily available are tests on Cozumel, and are they free? All I’ve seen in the data are the number of cases, deaths, and hospitalization utilization rates, but nothing on the number of tests or positive test ratios.

Tests are at a premium supposedly. The private hospital just started offering tests for like 2500 pesos or about 125 bucks. The death rate is so high, we just sorta track off that - 18% today and been fairly consistent.

Tests are at a premium supposedly. The private hospital just started offering tests for like 2500 pesos or about 125 bucks. The death rate is so high, we just sorta track off that - 18% today and been fairly consistent.

If that's the case, the high death rate is likely because the only people getting tested are the ones that are extremely sick. I would imagine, at least for most locals there, unless they feel like they're in grave danger, they're going to just try to self-quarantine when sick and suck it up at that price.

4 Confirmed cases, 2 more probable in my office (15 office folks, over 70 field personnel in daily contact) in March. 2 hospitalized neared death, 2 very sick and handled at home, 2 never knew but got tested. If anybody thinks they can predict how or where this thing is going, I wish you good luck. I personally sucked up the responsibilities of those temporarily "Out". Manning a desk and computer, paperwork, etc of a person in ICU, intubated, near death is F'n Scary, Trust me. We remained calm, cleaned like crazy, all social protocols in place.....no more new cases . No guarantee, but if You take the precautions and influence others to do so (non mask wearing MF's)...we'll do Much better! My perspective is localized but the principle remains the same.

I don't need to look at what you suggested b/c you're, for some reason, trying to make a point that I wasn't arguing. Relativity doesn't matter. If it's around, it's around. And by saying "probably, but not necessarily", you're saying you believe it'll just eventually disappear all on its own.
Relativity absolutely matters. If the number of cases is down to a somewhat manageable level, like it is now in Germany and Italy, the streets are a whole lot safer. The fewer cases there are the easier it is to drive the numbers even lower. Conversely, of course, the more cases there are the harder, trending toward impossible, it is to contain the disease. And no, of course I don't expect COVID-19 to just magically go away on its own, but due to Germany's and Italy's containment and exposure tracing measures, new cases in both countries are trending toward zero. Not so for the US and Mexico.

Relativity absolutely matters. If the number of cases is down to a somewhat manageable level, like it is now in Germany and Italy, the streets are a whole lot safer. The fewer cases there are the easier it is to drive the numbers even lower. Conversely, of course, the more cases there are the harder, trending toward impossible, it is to contain the disease. And no, of course I don't expect COVID-19 to just magically go away on its own, but due to Germany's and Italy's containment and exposure tracing measures, new cases in both countries are trending toward zero. Not so for the US and Mexico.

Once again, you’re arguing things that I wasn’t even talking about or ever disagreed with. Perhaps you just enjoy arguing with yourself...lol. All I said it's going to be around until a vaccine is available. "Around" has absolutely nothing to do with HOW MUCH it is around. So no, in terms of whether it is "around", that statement has nothing to do with relative terms. It is absolute. True or false. If it's around, it's around.

Once again, you’re arguing things that I wasn’t even talking about or ever disagreed with. Perhaps you just enjoy arguing with yourself...lol. All I said it's going to be around until a vaccine is available. "Around" has absolutely nothing to do with HOW MUCH it is around. So no, in terms of whether it is "around", that statement has nothing to do with relative terms. It is absolute. True or false. If it's around, it's around.
I am not arguing anything; I am just pointing out that "around" is a relative term. SARS, MERS, and Ebola are still around as well, but they are much more contained than is the novel coronavirus. Germany and Italy are demonstrating that even it can be contained to a much greater degree than by what the US and Mexico are doing. Or not doing, as it were. I believe that putting all our eggs in the "vaccine" basket is a mistake, and possibly a catastrophic one.

From the 20-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           2,795  ->  2,855
     Social Isolation             539  ->    572
     Hospitalized                 159  ->    160
     Recovered                  1,594  ->  1,615
     Deaths                       503  ->    508
Q Roo Tests pending               284  ->    272

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               72  ->     73
     Recovered                     38  ->     39
     Deaths                        14  ->     14
     % Hospital rooms in use       21%  ->    23%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1274388796692447232/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

For the first time in several days, the number of pending tests has decreased, although just slightly.

The mayor is touting that Cozumel has been awarded the WTTC Safe Travel Stamp, but almost all the tourists I see on the street are not wearing masks, along with about 1/3 of the locals that aren't either.

From the 20-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           2,795  ->  2,855
     Social Isolation             539  ->    572
     Hospitalized                 159  ->    160
     Recovered                  1,594  ->  1,615
     Deaths                       503  ->    508
Q Roo Tests pending               284  ->    272

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               72  ->     73
     Recovered                     38  ->     39
     % Hospital rooms in use       21%  ->    23%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1274388796692447232/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

For the first time in several days, the number of pending tests has decreased, although just slightly.

The mayor is touting that Cozumel has been awarded the WTTC Safe Travel Stamp, but almost all the tourists I see on the street are not wearing masks, along with about 1/3 of the locals that aren't either.

Wow, that’s surprising. Well, I give you my word I’ll be wearing a mask when walking about town. Well, except when I’m drinking... Besides, I probably look better with a mask on anyway...lol

Wow, that’s surprising. Well, I give you my word I’ll be wearing a mask when walking about town. Well, except when I’m drinking... Besides, I probably look better with a mask on anyway...lol
Unfortunately I'm pretty much positive I look better with my mask on too, lol #SafetyFirst!

From the 21-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           2,855  ->  2,906
     Social Isolation             572  ->    591
     Hospitalized                 160  ->    165
     Recovered                  1,615  ->  1,637
     Deaths                       508  ->    513
Q Roo Tests pending               272  ->    238

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               73  ->     74
     Recovered                     39  ->     39
     % Hospital rooms in use       23%  ->    19%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1274754951386988547/photo/1

Back
Top Bottom