Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1918 mask situation was, in many ways, exactly the same as it is today. Old newspaper articles look like they could have been written yesterday.
I like the "or go jail" sign. I do see a nose peeking out of one.

Here is a troubling update. There are around 100 known Covid deaths on Cozumel so far. There are cases all over the island. Most are not being diagnosed or tested. The clinics that many people are going to are giving them antibiotics and telling them it is something other than covid. The doctors at the hospital are upset about this.

It gets worse.

Yesterday the guy that sells us smoothies was in Playa when they transported his father to Cancun for emergency covid treatment. This seldom or never ends well. His sister and brother in law are also very sick. He was sick two weeks ago but the clinic told him it was something else and sent him home. He refused to go to the hospital and get tested even though we put him in contact with a doctor at the hospital. He may or may not have had Covid. He was very sick but is convinced it was something else.

I have just learned of a dive master that has been exposed by cohabitation to two people that have just been diagnosed with Covid19. He doesn't have symptoms so far and is working with divers daily. Divers are not wearing masks on the boats. They are not keeping a safe distance or disinfecting surfaces and equipment. This is not an isolated case y'all. I can't tell you everything I have learned but I have told you enough.

If you are going to Cozumel to go diving and are choosing to ignore the global pandemic then you are putting the island at risk and the island is putting you and your family at risk. People should not be playing fast and loose with this disease but they are and the people on the island are paying the price. If you are worried about their income then do as I am doing. Send them your dive money and stay home. These are not normal times and we can't pretend that they are. It will get people killed and many of those that don't die will be forever compromised. Lung damage is bad news for divers. Live to dive another day.

Cheers?

Here is a troubling update. There are around 100 known Covid deaths on Cozumel so far. There are cases all over the island. Most are not being diagnosed or tested. The clinics that many people are going to are giving them antibiotics and telling them it is something other than covid. The doctors at the hospital are upset about this.

It gets worse.

Yesterday the guy that sells us smoothies was in Playa when they transported his father to Cancun for emergency covid treatment. This seldom or never ends well. His sister and brother in law are also very sick. He was sick two weeks ago but the clinic told him it was something else and sent him home. He refused to go to the hospital and get tested even though we put him in contact with a doctor at the hospital. He may or may not have had Covid. He was very sick but is convinced it was something else.

I have just learned of a dive master that has been exposed by cohabitation to two people that have just been diagnosed with Covid19. He doesn't have symptoms so far and is working with divers daily. Divers are not wearing masks on the boats. They are not keeping a safe distance or disinfecting surfaces and equipment. This is not an isolated case y'all. I can't tell you everything I have learned but I have told you enough.

If you are going to Cozumel to go diving and are choosing to ignore the global pandemic then you are putting the island at risk and the island is putting you and your family at risk. People should not be playing fast and loose with this disease but they are and the people on the island are paying the price. If you are worried about their income then do as I am doing. Send them your dive money and stay home. These are not normal times and we can't pretend that they are. It will get people killed and many of those that don't die will be forever compromised. Lung damage is bad news for divers. Live to dive another day.

Cheers?
Chang dive operators then because they are on my boat.

The only folks not wearing mask at our resort are two guys from Texas...they have been warned numerous times by the Villa.

Here is a troubling update. There are around 100 known Covid deaths on Cozumel so far. There are cases all over the island. Most are not being diagnosed or tested. The clinics that many people are going to are giving them antibiotics and telling them it is something other than covid.
Know by whom and how? If they are not diagnosed or tested, it sounds like guesswork at best, or unfounded rumors. Not that I believe the official report, but it's the best source known, showing 39 deaths.

000.jpg

I can’t out my source in the medical community. Believe it or don’t. When they get transferred to Cancun and die there where do you think the death is counted? They don’t tend to come back from Cancun.

Sorry to hear Ray -

Yet we celebrate flights from Mexico City, we celebrate 200 flights a day into Cancun..... no one notices the hospital rate remains low yet the number in social isolation sky rockets..... And we talk of changing to yellow next week and wonder why the cruise ships don’t visit

Most of my medical friends are tested frequently; My daughter and nephew are tested weekly (ER docs). The total number is TOTAL OF ALL tests. Not individuals. Can’t divide into total population. Makes no sense.

Is that not the case everywhere else, too? Many people don't want to be tested.

Sorry to hear Ray -

Yet we celebrate flights from Mexico City, we celebrate 200 flights a day into Cancun..... no one notices the hospital rate remains low yet the number in social isolation sky rockets..... And we talk of changing to yellow next week and wonder why the cruise ships don’t visit

Just to be clear , the actual number of Covid patients in the hospital has increased a lot according to their statistics. They have just been adding beds to keep the percentage low, but the number of patients has increased dramatically.

There were around 150 in Q Roo hospitals with Covid when state began to reopen on early June , there are over 500 today. The sad thing is, this is the official data and there are numerous good reasons to doubt official statistics (not just the ones mentioned over past day ).

upload_2020-8-10_14-10-32.jpeg

upload_2020-8-10_14-8-53.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-10_14-5-56.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-10_14-5-56.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 39
Is that not the case everywhere else, too? Many people don't want to be tested.

Honestly, I have no idea. You’re absolutely correct - we need a uniform standardized set of data to make comparisons. As to not wanting be tested, the numbers are obviously skewed because the only people that are tested are those who think they NEED to be tested. I’ve never been tested and don’t particularly care to have a 6” Q-Tip shoved into my forehead either.

Mexican positivity data is especially skewed. Pretty much useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom