Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to do what you have to do Dandy but I think one thing is certain since this whole thing began... You are most likely safer traveling now or in August than in the months that will follow. As time goes by, this keeps spreading and getting worse. If you can't justify it now and you back out you probably won't be back to Coz for a long time.

I’d prefer a vaccine myself. Traveling now to Mx is a crap shoot and if one has any of the susceptibilities, advanced age, obesity etc, the dice are loaded even worse.

I’d prefer a vaccine myself. Traveling now to Mx is a crap shoot and if one has any of the susceptibilities, advanced age, obesity etc, the dice are loaded even worse.

I am tending to fall into your camp these days and wait for a vaccine. I can occupy myself with other domestic travel that doesn't involve getting on a plane or leaving the country. As much as my wife and I want to dive Coz again, it really comes down to risk vs. reward. We are in our early 50's and even taking all precautions is the risk worth the reward? If one of us gets sick it's pretty certain we will both be sick and then we'd find out if we are asymptomatic, just get the sniffles, die from it, or end up with some form of lung damage that eliminates our ability to dive for the rest of our lives. We have lots of diving planned for our golden years.

I've said it numerous times, "Live now or survive later". However, in our 50's and the Lord willing we have plenty of years left in us that we can enjoy instead of just surviving. We catch this bug and it hurts me or her we end up having to survive a lot of years that we could have enjoyed had we been patient and foregone gratification today for the ability to enjoy future travels.

It is a very tough call for those who aren't "COVIDIOTS". Each of us has to make that call for themselves... Does the reward outweigh the risk?

All good points. But I also just heard that a chap I know relatively well just had aneurism at 38 and he leaves behind 4 kids under 14..

I’m not waiting for experiences. I’ll follow the rules to the letter though...

I am tending to fall into your camp these days and wait for a vaccine. I can occupy myself with other domestic travel that doesn't involve getting on a plane or leaving the country. As much as my wife and I want to dive Coz again, it really comes down to risk vs. reward. We are in our early 50's and even taking all precautions is the risk worth the reward? If one of us gets sick it's pretty certain we will both be sick and then we'd find out if we are asymptomatic, just get the sniffles, die from it, or end up with some form of lung damage that eliminates our ability to dive for the rest of our lives. We have lots of diving planned for our golden years.

I've said it numerous times, "Live now or survive later". However, in our 50's and the Lord willing we have plenty of years left in us that we can enjoy instead of just surviving. We catch this bug and it hurts me or her we end up having to survive a lot of years that we could have enjoyed had we been patient and foregone gratification today for the ability to enjoy future travels.

It is a very tough call for those who aren't "COVIDIOTS". Each of us has to make that call for themselves... Does the reward outweigh the risk?

Look here,

I'm 74 and traveling a lot more than I want to because my mother is ready to pass in Utah. But I am still an engineer and scientist. I truly believe that the modern jet planes have very good HEPA filters the will mitigate covid transmission on aircraft. Crowds without masks…they scare me, but to be afraid to enter an aircraft does not. I also believe that masks properly warn do significantly reduce your risk

Dave Dillehay

Look here,

I'm 74 and traveling a lot more than I want to because my mother is ready to pass in Utah. But I am still an engineer and scientist. I truly believe that the modern jet planes have very good HEPA filters the will mitigate covid transmission on aircraft. Crowds without masks…they scare me, but to be afraid to enter an aircraft does not. I also believe that masks properly warn do significantly reduce your risk

Dave Dillehay
Agree with this.. stories about islands getting 2/3 new cases and those are coming in on airplanes, but not that those 2/3 cases infected everyone on the plane they were on.

Look here,

Dave Dillehay

Aircraft shmaircraft. Dave, when you travel to Coz, YOU'RE going into a known environment. You live down there in your own place under your control. Not so much for everyone else. I think I'll stick to the "when a vaccine is here" route.

Yep, you can trip in the tub tomorrow and pass away! I’ll take my chances heading to COZ and back to NYC with the wife next month...heck, my daily bike rides are far more dangerous and challenging than traveling with the proper PPE is!

an acquaintance just returned from COZ and he felt extremely safe....that’s a vote of confidence I liked!

let me ask...do you test your drinking water every day? Week? Monthly?....think about it.

Per United...

The HEPA filtration system on board our mainline aircraft recycles the air every 2-3 minutes and removes 99.97% of particles, making the air on board a plane cleaner than what you experience in restaurants, grocery stores, schools or even hospitals. Today, we announced that we'll not only run these filters at full strength for the entire flight — we’ll run them during the boarding and deplaning process, too.

You have to do what you have to do Dandy but I think one thing is certain since this whole thing began... You are most likely safer traveling now or in August than in the months that will follow. As time goes by, this keeps spreading and getting worse. If you can't justify it now and you back out you probably won't be back to Coz for a long time unless you are willing to accept a higher level of risk than travel currently presents.
Yeah, if I bail on this trip, I'll table this destination for the foreseeable future. I'm still iffy tho.

Yep, you can trip in the tub tomorrow and pass away! I’ll take my chances heading to COZ and back to NYC with the wife next month...heck, my daily bike rides are far more dangerous and challenging than traveling with the proper PPE is!
True and irrelevant, both. I'll shower a few times a week even in isolation whether I expose myself further or not.

Per United...

The HEPA filtration system on board our mainline aircraft recycles the air every 2-3 minutes and removes 99.97% of particles, making the air on board a plane cleaner than what you experience in restaurants, grocery stores, schools or even hospitals. Today, we announced that we'll not only run these filters at full strength for the entire flight — we’ll run them during the boarding and deplaning process, too.
Yeah, I got that email today too along with another from American, then another from American quoting $51 RT fares from DFW to LAX and other hotspots I think would be foolish to visit. Amazingly cheap, but no thanks. I'm becoming more convinced in the airlines doing their part but even less confident that being there in the population doing less. It's all about the odds I know, but I don't want to end up in a Mexican hospital when I can prevent it. I'll watch the show for 10 more days before I decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom