Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the 1-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,883  ->  1,926
     Social Isolation             310  ->    347
     Hospitalized                 159  ->    160
     Recovered                  1,062  ->  1,065
     Deaths                       352  ->    354
Q Roo Tests pending               167  ->    160

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               43  ->     46
     Recovered                     22  ->     22
     Deaths                        11  ->     11
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1267504509993078785/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

RARE late-night update (don't expect these often!). The state has issued the first status in the semaphore re-opening plan. Nothing surprising, everything is red, but it is the first:

EZeVs__XgAcPNmJ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Thanks WetinPortland for the last night post.

Question for you and ChuckP (or whoever) , what official government sites are you following for information. I can usually find some information on one government site or the other , but haven’t found any one stop shops for information (or two stop shops).

Getting tired of seeing stuff on other discussion boards and having to try to figure out what is real .....

Question for you and ChuckP (or whoever) , what official government sites are you following for information. I can usually find some information on one government site or the other , but haven’t found any one stop shops for information (or two stop shops).

Getting tired of seeing stuff on other discussion boards and having to try to figure out what is real .....

Here's what I use for official government notices, if it's not here, it's not official:

Carlos who is the Governor: Carlos Joaquín

Pedro mayor of Cozumel: Pedro Joaquin D

This one seems to be government but I'm not 100% sure so I always confirm something here to Pedro or Carlos: Coordinación General de Comunicación de Quintana Roo

Most of the above stuff is in spanish only, the next few a lot of the times will copy those posts with some translation comments added, buyer beware on the translations and if they are interjecting opinions:

Voz Urbana: VOZ Urbana

Coda Rojo: Código ROJO

Alerta Cozumel (they have a website too that their posts will link to): Alerta Cozumel

This is a private group I joined, trying to find out more of what's going on in Cancun: Noticias De Cancún

Here's what I use for official government notices, if it's not here, it's not official:

Carlos who is the Governor: Carlos Joaquín

Pedro mayor of Cozumel: Pedro Joaquin D

This one seems to be government but I'm not 100% sure so I always confirm something here to Pedro or Carlos: Coordinación General de Comunicación de Quintana Roo

Most of the above stuff is in spanish only, the next few a lot of the times will copy those posts with some translation comments added, buyer beware on the translations and if they are interjecting opinions:

Voz Urbana: VOZ Urbana

Coda Rojo: Código ROJO

Alerta Cozumel (they have a website too that their posts will link to): Alerta Cozumel

This is a private group I joined, trying to find out more of what's going on in Cancun: Noticias De Cancún
Thank you very much Chuck. Very helpful.

I'm going to duplicate some of what @ChuckP has already listed to put everything in one place. I'll also try to categorize some of the resources. This has much wider utility than just the COVID updates thread, so perhaps once we get a good collection of resources @MMM could add it to the forum FAQ sticky?

As a general rule of thumb, the official web pages are not the best place to get up-to-the-minute information. They are updated periodically, but Facebook and Twitter official accounts are generally the first to have breaking information. I generally use Twitter for the daily updates I've been posting. With that, here are some resources; all are in Spanish unless noted otherwise:

OFFICIAL OUTLETS
https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO (Twitter)
Sistema Estatal de Salud - Quintana Roo, or the Quintana Roo Department of Health. Updates several times per day with information about COVID-19 status and mitigation, mosquito-borne diseases, and other health advisories

Salud México (Twitter)
Mexico federal Ministry of Health - similar content to the QRoo account above, but with a broader scope

Carlos Joaquín (Facebook)
Personal page of the current governor of the state of Quintana Roo, Carlos Joaquin

Portal del Gobierno de Quintana Roo. (website)
Official site of the Quintana Roo state government

https://cgc.qroo.gob.mx/ (web page)
Coordinación General de Comunicación de Quintana Roo (Facebook)
Coordinación General de Comunicación (Quintana Roo) - Communication Directorate for the state of Quintana Roo

Pedro Joaquin D (Facebook)
Personal page of the current Municipal President (similar to and often referred to as "mayor"), Pedro Joaquin Delbouis

http://cozumel.gob.mx/ (webpage)
Isla Cozumel (Facebook)
Official website for the Cozumel government

NEWS ORGANIZATIONS
Noticaribe (website)
Generally more detailed articles that many other sites. This is the Quintana Roo area page, there are additional pages for other locations throughout the Yucatan Penisula

SIPSE (website)
Mexico national news site

Riviera Maya News (website, English)
New for the Riviera Maya - Cancun to Tulum, plus the islands of Cozumel, Holbox, and Isla Mujeres

Voz Urbana Cozumel (Facebook)
Cozumel news outlet

Canal 5 (Facebook)
TVCozumel - Inicio (website)
Channel 5 TV, Cozumel

The following tend to be somewhat sensational, "National Enquirer" style outlets, but can and do have breaking news updates:

Código Rojo (Facebook)
Alerta Cozumel (Facebook)

OTHER
While these are neither official nor professional news organizations, I've found the information to be reliable.

Two Expats Mexico Blog (website, English)
Retired US law enforcement officer who speaks fluent Spanish and lives near Akumal, Q.R. Has many informational articles. (No advertising)

Estilo de Cozumel (website, English/Spanish)
Estilo de Cozumel (Facebook, English/Spanish)
Mexican/Canadian husband/wife site that provides both general reference information about Cozumel and updates about current news items such as COVID-19, curfews, etc.

I'm going to duplicate some of what @ChuckP has already listed to put everything in one place. I'll also try to categorize some of the resources. This has much wider utility than just the COVID updates thread, so perhaps once we get a good collection of resources @MMM could add it to the forum FAQ sticky?

As a general rule of thumb, the official web pages are not the best place to get up-to-the-minute information. They are updated periodically, but Facebook and Twitter official accounts are generally the first to have breaking information. I generally use Twitter for the daily updates I've been posting. With that, here are some resources; all are in Spanish unless noted otherwise:

OFFICIAL OUTLETS
https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO (Twitter)
Sistema Estatal de Salud - Quintana Roo, or the Quintana Roo Department of Health. Updates several times per day with information about COVID-19 status and mitigation, mosquito-borne diseases, and other health advisories

Carlos Joaquín (Facebook)
Personal page of the current governor of the state of Quintana Roo, Carlos Joaquin

Portal del Gobierno de Quintana Roo. (website)
Official site of the Quintana Roo state government

https://cgc.qroo.gob.mx/ (web page)
Coordinación General de Comunicación de Quintana Roo (Facebook)
Coordinación General de Comunicación (Quintana Roo) - Communication Directorate for the state of Quintana Roo

Pedro Joaquin D (Facebook)
Personal page of the current Municipal President (similar to and often referred to as "mayor"), Pedro Joaquin Delbouis

http://cozumel.gob.mx/ (webpage)
Isla Cozumel (Facebook)
Official website for the Cozumel government

NEWS ORGANIZATIONS
Noticaribe (website)
Generally more detailed articles that many other sites. This is the Quintana Roo area page, there are additional pages for other locations throughout the Yucatan Penisula

SIPSE (website)
Mexico national news site

Riviera Maya News (website, English)
New for the Riviera Maya - Cancun to Tulum, plus the islands of Cozumel, Holbox, and Isla Mujeres

Voz Urbana Cozumel (Facebook)
Cozumel news outlet

Canal 5 (Facebook)
TVCozumel - Inicio (website)
Channel 5 TV, Cozumel

The following tend to be somewhat sensational, "National Enquirer" style outlets, but can and do have breaking news updates:

Código Rojo (Facebook)
Alerta Cozumel (Facebook)

OTHER
While these are neither official nor professional news organizations, I've found the information to be reliable.

Two Expats Mexico Blog (website, English)
Retired US law enforcement officer who speaks fluent Spanish and lives near Akumal, Q.R. Has many informational articles. (No advertising)

Estilo de Cozumel (website, English/Spanish)
Estilo de Cozumel (Facebook, English/Spanish)
Mexican/Canadian husband/wife site that provides both general reference information about Cozumel and updates about current news items such as COVID-19, curfews, etc.
Thanks WetinPortland I second the motion that this would be a good resource sticky

From the 2-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,926  ->  1,956
     Social Isolation             347  ->    356
     Hospitalized                 160  ->    157
     Recovered                  1,065  ->  1,080
     Deaths                       354  ->    363
Q Roo Tests pending               160  ->    180

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               46  ->     46
     Recovered                     22  ->     25
     Deaths                        11  ->     11
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1267896713932668939/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

deteted

I have a friend that will say, "It was pink!", when going through a yellow to red light.

Seems like the new normal I have been hearing about.:)

Back
Top Bottom