Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It surely has, pretty much everywhere. Not unique to Cozumel, it's human nature.

Where I live - Seattle, Washington state, which was one of the very first places to lock down, and has had one of the more strict regimens
but many people seem to have just decided the rules don't apply to them, at least not anymore.

I don't think of it as disregarding the rules (after all, you're on the "left" coast (that's a complement)), I think of it as more of a surrender - more a "we're all going to get it eventually, so it doesn't matter how careful I am" mentality. As for me, I'm going to fight this sucker to the last breath. (Hopefully it doesn't come to that!)

This isn't funny in a way but it really shows something about here - this is the Bodega next to Sam's club, the first place that had beer after the island ran out:

View attachment 587513
Technically the second place. The first was Cervceria Punta Sur. They suffered a similar fate.

A friend was by my house yesterday and she said that people were jammed into the torta store on the corner like they were giving them away for free. No masks, no lines, no social distancing. She said so many locals are willfully ignoring the rules. I asked...do they not understand that if there is a major outbreak that tourists won't return. She said that they don't get it.

It wasn’t far off that along Dundas street in central toronto this afternoon. I stopped counting people with no masks when I hit 100. Must have been 500+. The UK is also set to have its hottest long weekend since 1922, my buddy is a cop and has said they know it’s pointless trying to enforce anything. They know there will be thousands at the beaches with no social distancing. They would need water cannons to stop it. This was always going to be an interesting experiment to test the limits of social obedience. Even in the most obedient countries the limit seems to be around 8-10 weeks max before the wheels start to come off.

The only buildings I enter are my post office (for my POB as we don't have home delivery here) and a few grocery stores - as many as it takes to fill the weekly order for my brother's home, usually three once a week, and I always wear a mask and obey the one-way aisles even tho violaters are common. I probably piss the wrong way shoppers off when I ask "Am I going the wrong way?" They have recently discounted surfaces as sources, but I use doggy poop bags to open doors then trash them, and I often use hand sterilizer.

I'm high enough risk myself, but my brother, sister-in-law, and her mom who is currently staying with them are all much more at risk. I remind them that I am available anytime they need something. If they get cabin fever, they can load up and drive around looking at farms, but that's it. She's pretty good only using the drive-thru at the drug store and even asking postal employees to come outside to pick up outgoing priority mail, and in this little farm town they will. I just had a stern discussion with my brother after he tried to find three-way light bulbs at our convenience store, (1) because I knew they wouldn't carry them, and (2) I'd rather he send me at 10 o'clock at night than he go. I now have my order in at Walmart for pickup Tuesday, unless he decides he needs it sooner.

The majority here in this little town are not bothering with masks or gloves, and that bothers me even with our low numbers so far. I'm a little worried about my asthmatic daughter who worked at school two days on book & iPad returns this week, is sick now, but won't call a doctor to discuss symptoms as she doesn't want to give the school a bad name! We're still discussing that. All I can do it my part and encourage others. I am afraid of a rebound explosion tho.

A friend was by my house yesterday and she said that people were jammed into the torta store on the corner like they were giving them away for free. No masks, no lines, no social distancing. She said so many locals are willfully ignoring the rules. I asked...do they not understand that if there is a major outbreak that tourists won't return. She said that they don't get it.
Look at what happened in 1918. I'm pretty sure the second and third waves were worse than the first.

Look at what happened in 1918. I'm pretty sure the second and third waves were worse than the first.
Well, this virus is not the same as that one, but even tho I don't think we know what to expect the way so many people are playing this one, I do fear that you may be right.

From the 23-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,530  ->  1,579
     Social Isolation             306  ->    307
     Hospitalized                 149  ->    150
     Recovered                    791  ->    833
     Deaths                       284  ->    289
Q Roo Tests pending               180  ->    153

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               35  ->     35
     Recovered                     16  ->     16
     Deaths                         8  ->      8
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

I'll post a link to Thursday's interview with the municipal president in the "When will Coz re-open" thread as discussion (and there could be a lot) is probably better suited there.

From the 24-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,579  ->  1,609
     Social Isolation             307  ->    316
     Hospitalized                 150  ->    160
     Recovered                    833  ->    842
     Deaths                       289  ->    291
Q Roo Tests pending               153  ->    150

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               35  ->     36
     Recovered                     16  ->     16
     Deaths                         8  ->      8
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

Back
Top Bottom