Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LMAO - yes. Because masks were few and far between, they do random road checks - driving a moto with two people, car with two in the front seat or no mask, pull over. They are checking plates and papers if they pull you over too. The word is, play nice and you get a free mask - be an ass and you get a free room.

Sounds like a pragmatic and reasonable policy to me. Rules is rules.

Remember what Freddie Mercury said...

No mask on your face, you big disgrace
Spewing your virus all over the place
We will we will knock you
We will we will knock you

....... all people (tourists included) are to wear a mask in public places.

"But officer, I am wearing my mask".........:D

images.jpg

From the 21-May noon update (sorry for the delay, I forgot to hit publish!):
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,383  ->  1,441
     Social Isolation             211  ->    240
     Hospitalized                 138  ->    144
     Recovered                    762  ->    777
     Deaths                       272  ->    280
Q Roo Tests pending               225  ->    215

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               31  ->     35
     Recovered                     13  ->     16
     Deaths                         7  ->      7
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

Cozumel cases continue to tick up. For 13 days, ending May 12, we were steady at 22 cases. In nine days since, we're up to 35 -- an almost 60% increase.

I've noticed more work occurring around town as we've been allowed to be out and moving around a bit more -- businesses apparently getting ready to reopen by fixing things up and adding a new coat of paint. I've also noticed more people with masks down below their chin or even with no mask at all, although I understand they are still required. Seems like people heard the 1-June date and started getting antsy ....

Outlets are slowly being restocked with beer. the Six convenience stores apparently now have beer, but the prices are reportedly higher than before the shutdown.

From the 22-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,441  ->  1,530
     Social Isolation             240  ->    306
     Hospitalized                 144  ->    149
     Recovered                    777  ->    791
     Deaths                       280  ->    284
Q Roo Tests pending               215  ->    180

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               35  ->     35
     Recovered                     13  ->     16
     Deaths                         7  ->      8
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

I'm starting to get a little nervous. On my once a week grocery run, I saw a lot of people not wearing masks. The store still requires them, but in the parking lot, in the lower lobby, walking down the street -- I think quarantine fatigue is setting in. The recent increase in cases would seem to correspond to the socializing I heard on Mothers' Day. Some posts on the municipal president's FB page share these concerns.

The municipal president was on a national interview show today with several other mayors. I'll see if I can find a transcript/translation for tomorrow.

I'm starting to get a little nervous. On my once a week grocery run, I saw a lot of people not wearing masks. The store still requires them, but in the parking lot, in the lower lobby, walking down the street
I wear one inside any building, but not in the parking lot.

I'm starting to get a little nervous. On my once a week grocery run, I saw a lot of people not wearing masks. The store still requires them, but in the parking lot, in the lower lobby, walking down the street -- I think quarantine fatigue is setting in...

It surely has, pretty much everywhere. Not unique to Cozumel, it's human nature.

Where I live - Seattle, Washington state, which was one of the very first places to lock down, and has had one of the more strict regimens ever since early March - most folks have been pretty good about following the rules. Sure, a few idiots have always made a point of refusing to cooperate, but by and large I think most people have acted pretty responsibly. We are still mostly under the same "shelter in place" rules, no non-essential travel, etc., with only a few minor relaxations. About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing a steady erosion in cooperation, the trend has continued, with more and more people out on the roads, more and more people with no masks, more and more just going around acting as if they had never heard of the pandemic. It's almost like people had some hard-wired limit, and after taking things seriously for around 6 weeks, they just have had it, threw up their hands, and gave up any pretentions of sticking to the cautions we have all been chafing under. Yeah, I get it, these are inconveniences for everyone, but many people seem to have just decided the rules don't apply to them, at least not anymore.

Just want to give a big thank you to all of you sharing these updates. Back in January my family (my mom, brother, niece, son... we all dive together) made plans to stay a week in Coz starting July 28, and I'm holding out hope that it can still happen. I'm guessing right now the odds are about 50/50. But I see it as a "glass half full", and your updates help me keep it that way.

I wear one inside any building, but not in the parking lot.
Point being, what I'm seeing is a significant change from a week ago. Masks are still required outside the home. If you're walking down the street without a mask, the police *were* stopping you, and if necessary, providing you with a mask. It's the shift in attitudes that has me worried.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom