Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the FB chatter suggests that restrictions and curfews on Cozumel are getting tighter, while many US leaders are wanting to open up and get business going again. I don't trust those leaders so I am extending my hiding-in-place for now. But then I am a retired hermit anyway, as well as an ancient codger so I can easier than some others. I started hiding late, but now on day 30. The highlight of my week comes at sunrise tomorrow when I hit Seniors Hours at the supermarket. I don't need much, but my sister-in-law just sent a long list for the three high-risk kinfolks there. I am learning to shop for things I didn't know about.

I read on FB that there has been a second delivery of food boxes to homes there. One said he was refused since he didn't have an electric bill or lease contract to show while another said they didn't ask for anything. I sent a small donation to the lady collecting for the food bank when Jen suggested it last month, then felt more concerned and sent again. I'll send her more when my check arrives this month.

I'm glad to see the island numbers are still low for a population of about 100,000. The next county over from my home has a third as many people but a similar number of cases, twice as many deaths, but they're on the Interstate. My rural county has almost been missed so far.

I think the FB chatter suggests that restrictions and curfews on Cozumel are getting tighter, while many US leaders are wanting to open up and get business going again. I don't trust those leaders so I am extending my hiding-in-place for now. But then I am a retired hermit anyway, as well as an ancient codger so I can easier than some others. I started hiding late, but now on day 30. The highlight of my week comes at sunrise tomorrow when I hit Seniors Hours at the supermarket. I don't need much, but my sister-in-law just sent a long list for the three high-risk kinfolks there. I am learning to shop for things I didn't know about.

I read on FB that there has been a second delivery of food boxes to homes there. One said he was refused since he didn't have an electric bill or lease contract to show while another said they didn't ask for anything. I sent a small donation to the lady collecting for the food bank when Jen suggested it last month, then felt more concerned and sent again. I'll send her more when my check arrives this month.

I'm glad to see the island numbers are still low for a population of about 100,000. The next county over from my home has a third as many people but a similar number of cases, twice as many deaths, but they're on the Interstate. My rural county has almost been missed so far.

They are still on the first go around with food - seems like they worked their way north to south. Curfew now at 8 netted 45 folks to clean jail cells last night.

They are still on the first go around with food - seems like they worked their way north to south. Curfew now at 8 netted 45 folks to clean jail cells last night.

Do those jail cells provide adequate social distancing?

No.

Do those jail cells provide adequate social distancing?

Right - there were a few comments about that also - the folks that have a higher percentage of being sick, stuck in a jail cell - at least they are passing out masks if they see you without one.

I hope that’s just a guess and not speaking from personal experience!! Lol

From the noon, 20-April update:
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 323  ->  361
     Social Isolation                 129  ->  151
     Hospitalized                      88  ->  104
     Recovered                         74  ->   74
     Deaths                            32  ->   32
Q Roo Tests pending                   179  ->  144

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   13  ->    1
     Recovered                          1  ->    1
     Deaths                             1  ->    1

Ultramar is down to two ferries per day, eliminating one because the curfew was extended. Ultramar and Winjet continue to operate on alternate days. One estimate I saw said there are now about 500 passengers per day, down from a pre-pandemic 11-12,000 per day. ADO is apparently still operating from the tourist terminal in Playa to the Cancun airport, but I haven't looked at the frequency. This came up as there was a Swedish couple who *just* received advise from their embassy to evacuate.

The Municipal President put out a forecast today that, if people follow the government directives regarding social distancing, by mid-May there will be 110 confirmed cases in Cozumel (almost 10x from today); no estimates of deaths given. That's the best case scenario. The worst case, if people generally disregard the government directives regarding social distancing, is for 2,500 confirmed cases and 200 deaths. While I see fewer people on the streets, if my neighbors are any indication, many family gatherings continue, and I am concerned we're heading toward that larger number.

The school system is starting to air classes via local TV. Different grades are at different times. I want to try to watch a few of these to see if I can improve my Spanish.

The Feds have now started to send food pantry boxes, so there should be another round. First round was about 24,000 boxes.

From the noon 20-April update. The state has added recoveries by municipality. Please see post #147 for more information about why these numbers may look low or the percentages odd.

Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 317  ->  323
     Social Isolation                 128  ->  129
     Hospitalized                      85  ->   88
     Recovered                         72  ->   74
     Deaths                            32  ->   32
Q Roo Tests pending                   191  ->  179

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   13  ->   13
     Recovered                          -  ->    1
     Deaths                             1  ->    1

If you're interested in more details about some of the communications, regulations, and restrictions, a friend of mine runs the Estilio de Vida Cozumel site, and has been translating the government notices as they come out.

I wonder why they aren’t reporting the true amount of deaths in Cozumel?

Not too much different than the reporting on anything else that is bad there.

As I mentioned earlier here, which some rejected.

That would be bad for image and future business. If they don't test the victims before they die, they can get away with it.

As I mentioned earlier here, which some rejected.

That would be bad for image and future business. If they don't test the victims before they die, they can get away with it.

Good theory and maybe close but I don't think Monterray and Matamoris have the same tourism that Cozumel does but yet the reporting is the same.......

Minimal testing everywhere......

@Christi - I've pieced together three, what have you heard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom