Coz Topside Sights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMT Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Leaving Jan 17th for 5 days in Cozumel. Plan to dive as MANY sites as I can!:D

Are there any places OUT OF WATER I shouldnt miss?

thanks!!

Sunday night in the town square. . . the locals gather and entertain, friendly and colorful. Rent a car or taxi to the east side of the island to watch the surf and sample a few bars. . . don't drink and drive in Cozumel.

oh thanks! Iknow I want to go to Carlos & Charlies - that was a fun place.

oh thanks! Iknow I want to go to Carlos & Charlies - that was a fun place.

Used to be, IMO.

Time was, it was a funky little upstairs bar with a fabulous view, with peanut shells two inches deep on a wood plank floor, with cheap drinks and where they would seat you wherever they could around tables for eight.

Now, it's just another faux Caribbean mall bar.

My listing of things to do topside in Cozumel (in no particular order):

1) Do a jeep day around the island- My favorites are Dzul-Ha (now Money Bar), Chen Rio, Coconuts, Mezcalitos, and Palancar Beach Club. Everyone has their own opinion on jeep day favorites, though.

2) Get a massage from Sally Hurwitch.

3) Go the San Gervasio ruins. They aren't Chichen Itza, but it is not a half day drive, either. It is hot there, but I was pleasantly surprised by how cool they were.

4) Go to El Marcado. It is a cool way to kill an afternoon if you are a foodie.

5) If you are really a foodie, do the cooking class with Concina Con Alma. You can find the link on Cozumelmycozumel.com. Josefina is a super host and does an excellent job. The food is first rate. We have used her tamale recipe many times.

6) Go snorkeling. I know it sounds crazy with the diving we all do, but seeing the reef from the top side looking down (such as at Columbia Shallows) is a pretty cool way to spend an afternoon. It is amazing how different the reef looks from above.

7) Read a book. Take a nap. Drink in the afternoon. All excellent activities, IMO.

That should be a good start.

The ruins of San Gervasio are kind of cool; it was once a Mayan ceremonial center for worshipping the fertility goddess, Ixchel. It's worth an afternoon, but I wouldn't give up a day of diving to do it.

Gwen

I have some questions for the Coz locals......Is the east side of the island road open to the north yet? And I heard Wilma did some damage to the ruins and they were shut down for awhile...are they open now...and if so what shape are they in? I haven't seen them for years, so I was just wondering. Thought it might help the op to make sure it's worth the trip. Also, take lots of mosquito repellant if you go !!

My listing of things to do topside in Cozumel (in no particular order):

1) Do a jeep day around the island- My favorites are Dzul-Ha (now Money Bar), Chen Rio, Coconuts, Mezcalitos, and Palancar Beach Club. Everyone has their own opinion on jeep day favorites, though.

2) Get a massage from Sally Hurwitch.

3) Go the San Gervasio ruins. They aren't Chichen Itza, but it is not a half day drive, either. It is hot there, but I was pleasantly surprised by how cool they were.

4) Go to El Marcado. It is a cool way to kill an afternoon if you are a foodie.

5) If you are really a foodie, do the cooking class with Concina Con Alma. You can find the link on Cozumelmycozumel.com. Josefina is a super host and does an excellent job. The food is first rate. We have used her tamale recipe many times.

6) Go snorkeling. I know it sounds crazy with the diving we all do, but seeing the reef from the top side looking down (such as at Columbia Shallows) is a pretty cool way to spend an afternoon. It is amazing how different the reef looks from above.

7) Read a book. Take a nap. Drink in the afternoon. All excellent activities, IMO.

That should be a good start.

My vote is for #7. The least I do, the better.

So much to say. Try to get out to Punta Sur lighthouse on the south of the island. Once you get to the entrance of the park you will take an open truck ride to the coolest beach on the island. IMHO. You go by some saltwater crocs and tons of lizards. You can walk out to the crocodile habitat and that is really cool. Take a cooler out if you want or you can support the people that work out there. There are chairs there and hammocks. It was 12$ last year to go in the park. They close at dark so get there early. It is a MUST DO if you like to be active. You know your there because there is a huge sign that says Punta Sur on it. There are a couple of cool beach bars there also. I'll be there on the 23rd. You can count on it, my wife will have me out there several times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom