Coz residents. any word on Wilma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover:
Our airline issued a change order up thru friday, saying you could reschedule your ticket up to a week later, but it doesn't include Saturday when we're flying (yet). So until I hear otherwise our trip is still "on" otherwise we're out the airline ticket and hotel, etc..... I just hope this storm follows the path they predict, and just brushes coz. barely....
When we rescheduled after Emily American Airlines told us we could change our airlines anytime +/- 1 week without any penalty. If we rescheduled beyond a week then we'd have to pay any airfare difference, but we wouldn't have to pay the $100 exchange fee. If we wanted to just keep the ticket open and not specify a specific date then we'd pay any airfare difference plus the $100 exchange fee. The caveat was that we had to use the ticket within 1 year of the purchase date. Note that this was AA's huricane policy... without a huricane they aren't this flexible on rescheduling.

In my case I rescheduled from July 24 to October 22. The airfare difference was -$150 each... that was sweet as we ended up getting $300 back from AA when they reissued the ticket.

My current plan is that I'm still coming, unless the airlines can't get me in to Cancun reasonably close to my Saturday afternoon arrival time (coming from DFW). I guess I'll know sometime Friday for sure.

Jerry

dwwest101:
Best of luck to you. This thing is a monster.

I've always wanted to say that.

geraldp:
When we rescheduled after Emily American Airlines told us we could change our airlines anytime +/- 1 week without any penalty. If we rescheduled beyond a week then we'd have to pay any airfare difference, but we wouldn't have to pay the $100 exchange fee. If we wanted to just keep the ticket open and not specify a specific date then we'd pay any airfare difference plus the $100 exchange fee. The caveat was that we had to use the ticket within 1 year of the purchase date. Note that this was AA's huricane policy... without a huricane they aren't this flexible on rescheduling.

In my case I rescheduled from July 24 to October 22. The airfare difference was -$150 each... that was sweet as we ended up getting $300 back from AA when they reissued the ticket.

My current plan is that I'm still coming, unless the airlines can't get me in to Cancun reasonably close to my Saturday afternoon arrival time (coming from DFW). I guess I'll know sometime Friday for sure.

Jerry

As I just e-mailed you...you are GROUNDED young man...you're not allowed to schedule trips down here during hurricane season anymore :)

Just trying to lighten the mood :)

I'll stay in touch

Hello,

If you are in Coz or the area right now, I would reccommend that you head for a ATM or bank before the storm hits and get some cash. I have been through a hurricane in Mexico before and without power and phone, cash was the only acceptable payment at most places. Some non-parashable food like sports bars and the like might help as well. The aftermath of these things are no fun believe me.

I wish you guys all well. Keep your heads and you will be OK.

I'm pulling for an eastbound track to sea!!

Jimi

I got to Cozumel last Sunday thinking, hey no problem, the storm can't get its act together. Well, glad I do not forcast weather. Was able to get 2 days of diving in before they closed the port and was awoken this am at 7 by Christi calling to tell me Wilma was a Cat 5 and to get "out of Dodge". So...thanks to Christi I did and I send my wishes for safety to those who are riding it out (some at my hotel thought it would be "fun" - so much for common sense).

My wife and I are are one of two couples left at the Cozumel Palace as all the other guests were evacuated to the mainland. Feels pretty strange to be here by ourselves.The staff is taking really good care of us.

The weather is variable with periods of heavy down pours interspersed with calm periods.I feel better being here than being on the mainland for some reason.We have a morning flight out providing the airport is not closed first. Otherwise we will be riding this out with the staff in the laundry room.

Had a great week diving BTW

jpomerantz:
I got to Cozumel last Sunday thinking, hey no problem, the storm can't get its act together. Well, glad I do not forcast weather. Was able to get 2 days of diving in before they closed the port and was awoken this am at 7 by Christi calling to tell me Wilma was a Cat 5 and to get "out of Dodge". So...thanks to Christi I did and I send my wishes for safety to those who are riding it out (some at my hotel thought it would be "fun" - so much for common sense).

I am so glad you were able to get out Jay!

Craig and Jane weren't so lucky and it doesn't look good for them tomorrow either.

ACtually, I was on the phone with Continental earlier, and there is a strong possibility of the flights out being cancelled tomorrow...depending on overnight developments and how much rain we get tonight. If the airport is flooded...flights won't be able to get out.

I got your e-mail and we'll worry about the other thing when this is over!

Christi:
As I just e-mailed you...you are GROUNDED young man...you're not allowed to schedule trips down here during hurricane season anymore :)

Just trying to lighten the mood :)

I'll stay in touch
Christi, you'd better include me on that list, too. But I'm up for Round 2 of reef "sweeping" next week.

Warning to all SB members - do NOT go to Cozumel in hurricane season the week before I'm scheduled. :no :lightingz :zap1: As far as I know, though, this is my last trip until the end of November. I'll do my best to stay away!

Christi, I'm confident I'll see you Friday. You stay safe! My best to all your crew.

man... GOODLUCK! our prayers are with u guys....

just came back from coz last week, and i saw places still ruined by emily.... good luck with wilma....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom