Cow Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make certain to KEEP TURNING RIGHT on the way in until you've tied into the Mainline.

For me the entrance was the trickiest part the first time I was leading at Cow. After dropping in the first hole and the Back to Belly restriction there is what appears to be a perfectly good passage(well-worn) almost directly in front of the diver... DO NOT TAKE THIS TUNNEL. I took this tunnel, eventually you reach a sign hanging from the ceiling that says DO NOT TAKE THIS TUNNEL. I kept going until my shoulders were pinned and could make no more forward progress. Managed to signal and we backed out in zero vis. WHAT I MISSED: After dropping in the first hole and the Back to Belly restriction, there is what appears to be a perfectly good passage almost directly in front of the diver, LOOK TO THE RIGHT OF THIS (tighter than a 90 degree turn) and you will see the actual passage that leads to the Gold Line. Take this passage and just as you are about to drop through another hole in the floor the Gold Line will be just below the lip of the hole in the floor. It is a wonderful little corkscrew :)

I've been in Cow in BM 104s and 95s and I think SM85s all with and without stages. I'm fairly small, compared to many a cave diver, and I do typically scrape belly and tanks through the first restriction but it is a short restriction. Another thing I always do is check the valves for a roll-off after getting through the restrictions down at the sandy beach while taking a few breaths to get centered.

Big yes to burning off deco in the Downstream tunnels which I think are some of the best parts of the dive.

ROPES ARE THERE FOR A REASON, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE, JUST USE THEM
No one told me about the ropes. I was trying to keep up with @kensuf and breaking a sweat swimming against that current and then I saw him pulling. Doh! Yeah. Make sure to use them. :D :D :D

Make certain to KEEP TURNING RIGHT on the way in until you've tied into the Mainline.

For me the entrance was the trickiest part the first time I was leading at Cow. After dropping in the first hole and the Back to Belly restriction there is what appears to be a perfectly good passage(well-worn) almost directly in front of the diver... DO NOT TAKE THIS TUNNEL. I took this tunnel, eventually you reach a sign hanging from the ceiling that says DO NOT TAKE THIS TUNNEL. I kept going until my shoulders were pinned and could make no more forward progress. Managed to signal and we backed out in zero vis. WHAT I MISSED: After dropping in the first hole and the Back to Belly restriction, there is what appears to be a perfectly good passage almost directly in front of the diver, LOOK TO THE RIGHT OF THIS (tighter than a 90 degree turn) and you will see the actual passage that leads to the Gold Line. Take this passage and just as you are about to drop through another hole in the floor the Gold Line will be just below the lip of the hole in the floor. It is a wonderful little corkscrew :)

I've been in Cow in BM 104s and 95s and I think SM85s all with and without stages. I'm fairly small, compared to many a cave diver, and I do typically scrape belly and tanks through the first restriction but it is a short restriction. Another thing I always do is check the valves for a roll-off after getting through the restrictions down at the sandy beach while taking a few breaths to get centered.

Big yes to burning off deco in the Downstream tunnels which I think are some of the best parts of the dive.

Definitely sounds like a place where I should have someone experienced with the site leading on the first couple of dives.

Definitely sounds like a place where I should have someone experienced with the site leading on the first couple of dives.

Hey,

It's not as difficult as I make out :) But not a bad idea to have someone show you the way the first time.

And I had Forrest Wilson take me there the first time. Problem is, I don't really learn the cave/navigation as well when I'm following and I know for a fact that several people have made the same mistake that I made.

Just go slow and watch out for that really sharp right hand turn.

I'd be happy to show you the way!

Dominick

Nah, like Dom said. Just take it slow. I went there with a buddy who had never been either. That's part of the fun, figuring it all out. If you think you've found the upstream entrance and think to yourself "that can't be it, it's gotta be bigger than that", you've probably found the upstream entrance. It's a super cool cave. Even if you take your time figuring out how to get in, you'll probably still get to poke through the "Not My Fault" restriction. Just have fun and don't kick up the clay banks.

Abe Davis or Wakulla award required. That means 100 cave dives prior to first upstream dive.

I think the Abe Davis is no longer required.

This is Direct from the NSS-CDS website:

Cow Springs:
The Upstream entrance to Cow Springs has a major restriction requiring moderate body and equipment manipulation to pass through a roughly vertical to horizontal transition at about 40 feet of depth. Current flow is typically quite high requiring the use of a pull rope permanently installed in the front section of the cave. Visibility is normally very good with depths to the 90-110 foot range. The upstream section is quite delicate and is considered an advanced cave dive. Divers MUST ensure their buoyancy control is excellent prior to entering this system as it contains spectacular clay banks and delicate goethite formations throughout that are easily damaged as well as challenging high flow and additional restrictions beyond the entrance.

The following site-specific rules apply to the upstream section of Cow Springs:

Diving is per the "Diver" section of this document with the exception that it is open to divers certified at Cave Diver or equivalent certification and there is no requirement to show proof of 100 cave dives.
DPV use is forbidden.

Training is prohibited EXCEPT sidemount training ONLY is allowed. Sidemount training may only be conducted by NSS-CDS Instructors for students meeting all of the requirements of the “Diver” section of this document. All divers entering the system must already be proficient in buoyancy control and be able to exercise proper technique to avoid damaging the cave while sidemount diving. Instructors and sidemount students are both charged with evaluating skill levels and the appropriateness of using this fragile site for training.

The Downstream section of Cow Springs is shallow, in the 30-foot range, and fairly wide open with roughly 450 feet of penetration possible with no significant difficult areas. The following site-specific rules apply to the downstream section of Cow Springs:

Diving is per the “Diver” section of this document with the exceptions that it is open to all levels of Cavern and Cave Diving and there is no requirement to show proof of 100 cave dives after full cave.
DPV use is forbidden.

All levels of Cavern and Cave Diving training may be conducted only by NSS-CDS Instructors for students diving per the “Diver” section of this document, with the exception that the student's Cavern/Cave certification level must be appropriate to the level of training being conducted.

Combined NSS-CDS Property Management Plan - NSS CDS

Abe Davis or Wakulla award required. That means 100 cave dives prior to first upstream dive.

Sadly, that changed about a decade ago, now it's just full cave to go upstream. I've seen brand new cave divers that I'd have no problems with taking into upstream Cow, but I've also seen very experienced full cave divers that have no business being there.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom