Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the heads up on the new US travel restriction changes effective 11-8. Had not seen that before. Waiting for the change to US fully vaccinated no need to test to return.

Thanks for the heads up on the new US travel restriction changes effective 11-8. Had not seen that before. Waiting for the change to US fully vaccinated no need to test to return.
I understand your desire to see the re-entry test go away, but it is the simplest and easiest of the tests! You can even do-it-yourself with teleproctoring while overseas.

I understand your desire to see the re-entry test go away, but it is the simplest and easiest of the tests! You can even do-it-yourself with teleproctoring while overseas.

The problem isn't the test. The problem is that if the test result is positive, whether due to a false positive or actual disease, it becomes necessary to quarantine in Coz which is expensive and disruptive for people with a day job, limited budget, etc.

The problem isn't the test. The problem is that if the test result is positive, whether due to a false positive or actual disease, it becomes necessary to quarantine in Coz which is expensive and disruptive for people with a day job, limited budget, etc.
So you'd be OK with being positive and getting on an airplane?

We returned from 2 weeks in Bonaire yesterday. The Covid testing was not difficult for us. We are fully vaccinated, in fact, boosted

We got a local Abbott ID Now Covid test the day before leaving that cost us $125 each. We had the result within 2 hours

We had the 5 day Covid antigen test in Bonaire at the drive through Public Health facility, across from the stadium, at no cost. This was scheduled at the airport on arrival. I understand this testing was dropped November 1. The only nuisance was missing some afternoon dive time.

We got our US reentry Covid antigen test the morning before leaving at Bon Bida, across the street from Sand Dollar. We made online appointments for 8 am, we walked from Den Laman. The test cost $65 each, we walked out with a hard copy of the result at 8:15.

Our Bonaire Public Health Declaration was checked at the airport in Philadelphia and again at entry into Bonaire. Our departure Covid NAAT test was checked at the airport in Philadelphia and at entry into Bonaire. Our vaccination cards were checked on entry into Bonaire. We flew American Airlines and used VeriFLY to simplify proof of Covid testing on departure. It appeared that travelers who did not use VeriFLY had to fill out an additional form and produce proof of testing at the counter.

We returned from 2 weeks in Bonaire yesterday. The Covid testing was not difficult for us. We are fully vaccinated, in fact, boosted

We got a local Abbott ID Now Covid test the day before leaving that cost us $125 each. We had the result within 2 hours

We had the 5 day Covid antigen test in Bonaire at the drive through Public Health facility, across from the stadium, at no cost. This was scheduled at the airport on arrival. I understand this testing was dropped November 1. The only nuisance was missing some afternoon dive time.

We got our US reentry Covid antigen test the morning before leaving at Bon Bida, across the street from Sand Dollar. We made online appointments for 8 am, we walked from Den Laman. The test cost $65 each, we walked out with a hard copy of the result at 8:15.

Our Bonaire Public Health Declaration was checked at the airport in Philadelphia and again at entry into Bonaire. Our departure Covid NAAT test was checked at the airport in Philadelphia and at entry into Bonaire. Our vaccination cards were checked on entry into Bonaire. We flew American Airlines and used VeriFLY to simplify proof of Covid testing on departure. It appeared that travelers who did not use VeriFLY had to fill out an additional form and produce proof of testing at the counter.
Thank you for the report. We are headed down Dec 1 and was starting to get very concerned about the testing protocols. We had hoped the US would have been in one of the lower risk categories by now but not so lucky. I did go so far as purchasing Dan trip insurance just in case of a fluke causing a positive test so we wouldnt lose thousands. Hearing that testing was simple is very relieving as well. We have been bumping this trip since the pandemic beginning and were starting to think about bumping it again as going is very costly and would hate to not get the full experience due to the pandemic.

JD, are you vacinated? We are and been to Cozumel in June, going there again in 3 weeks, Bonaire in Feb and Roaran in April.
COVID is not going away. With testing ptotocol every one on the plane going to Bonaire is tested Negative.
US went from Very High to High.

<joke mode on>
I can see how a positive test would be exceptionally expensive if you have to quarantine in Cozumel given that you received the positive test result in Bonaire!
<joke mode off>

This thread is all about Bonaire...which I think would likely be even more expensive that Cozumel. My understanding is that the DAN travel insurance will cover the expenses if this were to happen. They will also cover costs if you test positive on your test prior to departure. I have never had to file a claim, so I don't know how painful that process may be, but it seems there is some protection available to cover positive test results prior to departure both ways.

-------------

Prior to Departure:
  • Trip Cancellation coverage for your pre-paid travel arrangements.
During Your Trip:
  • DAN trip and annual travel insurance plans may provide coverage if you, your host at your destination, a travel companion or a family member test positive for COVID-19.
  • Per trip plans include Travel Delay coverage for overnight lodging, meals, local transportation and other unexpected costs if you or a travel companion get sick from COVID-19 and are delayed for six hours or more.

When you submit your claim, please provide proof of a positive COVID-19 test result.

Per trip plans include Travel Delay coverage for overnight lodging, meals, local transportation and other unexpected costs if you or a travel companion get sick from COVID-19 and are delayed for six hours or more.
Concern over quarantine costs in the event I tested positive were at the top of my list for my Bonaire trip a couple of months ago. I got an Allianz policy, but I studied the provisions of a number of different policies--most worded less than clearly--before choosing one. Some of them appeared to differentiate getting "sick" from Covid and merely testing positive for the virus. DAN travel insurance was not one I looked at. The fine print--if you can decipher it--is everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom