Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got sick almost every time I used to travel back and forth from the Philippines. It’s a 16 hour flight from where I am. I agree, I am likely going to wear a mask in the airport and on planes every time I travel, no matter what happens with covid. It’s a small price to pay to have a comfortable trip and a return home without coughing and wheezing for weeks after.
At least pre-Covid, we would visit my wife's family in Europe every winter. On a number of trips I came down with cold symptoms just a couple of days after arriving. I hope to do better now that wearing a mask in the airport and public transportation doesn't carry a stigma.

But back on topic, when I was on Bonaire a couple of weeks ago Dive Friends had a first rinse tank with some sort of disinfectant and a second rinse tank that was supposed to be used to rinse off the disinfectant after using the first tank. I wonder if that practice will continue? I thought it was a nice idea, though I did not avail myself of it.

On flights I will continue wearing an n95 mask in order to avoid airborne diseases(TB and Covid). I will still be diligent with using hand sanitizer when traveling. A few years ago, I caught a Norovirus infection after flying out of the Miami airport. It was absolutely awful. I felt worse than I did with Covid.

I am not keen on placing my reg or mask in rinse tanks. While the disinfectants may be effective against many germs, bacteria from from C-Diff or viruses from cold sores require more focused and specific disinfectant. All that said, I do worry that we are over sanitizing ourselves and perhaps making ourselves vulnerable to superbugs. Hoping to strike a balance.

Back
Top Bottom