Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE: getting a little easier to travel to Bonaire
1647620968154.png

UPDATE: getting a little easier to travel to Bonaire View attachment 712940
Yes! Announced today:

From March 20, 2022, the travel conditions for travelers from all countries except the Netherlands will be relaxed. Fully vaccinated travelers who received the second corona jab or the booster shot less than 270 days ago, do not need to do a PCR test or antigen test before their trip to Bonaire. All travelers are still required to complete the health declaration form to get to the island. It doesn't matter if they are vaccinated or not.

NOTE: You must be within 270 days of your second shot or your booster.

Fully vaccinated travelers who received the second corona jab or the booster shot less than 270 days ago, do not need to do a PCR test or antigen test before their trip to Bonaire.
NOTE: You must be within 270 days of your second shot or your booster.

There remains some ambiguity and misinterpretation in the guidance quoted from different sources, including some official ones unfortunately. The chart on the website attached above contradicts the quote tursiops included, but is not entirely clear either.

It is my understanding that you are exempt the pre-entry test if you have had either:

Full vaccination completed less than 270 days ago; or

You have had a booster (that is, there is no 270 day or any other time limit on the booster).

While this distinction affects very few now unless they were boosted right at the beginning of the booster process, it will be applicable to more as time goes on. At least until this, too, changes.

But to be clear, I am not contradicting you, tursiops, I am challenging the source of your quote. You have been very helpful in revealing and clearing up issues like this before, ie. the PCR vs. ID-Now requirement.

There remains some ambiguity and misinterpretation in the guidance quoted from different sources, including some official ones unfortunately. The chart on the website attached above contradicts the quote tursiops included, but is not entirely clear either.

It is my understanding that you are exempt the pre-entry test if you have had either:

Full vaccination completed less than 270 days ago; or

You have had a booster (that is, there is no 270 day or any other time limit on the booster).

While this distinction affects very few now unless they were boosted right at the beginning of the booster process, it will be applicable to more as time goes on. At least until this, too, changes.

But to be clear, I am not contradicting you, tursiops, I am challenging the source of your quote. You have been very helpful in revealing and clearing up issues like this before, ie. the PCR vs. ID-Now requirement.

270 from last vaccination shot.
I was quoting from the Google translation of the BonaireCrisis.com main page. Yes, it is 270d from the last shot. I see no confusion.

I was quoting from the Google translation of the BonaireCrisis.com main page. Yes, it is 270d from the last shot. I see no confusion.

Yes, you are quite right based on the press release in the main page. However, the chart showing the requirements contradicts this.

1647738253089.png

Note that for the box that says "For fully vaccinated people whom received their last vaccination shot fewer than 270 days ago OR received a boosters shot" there is no requirement for any test.

The salient point here is that the phrase referring to the "last shot" includes the 270 day limitation but the alternate phrase referring to a "boosters shot" includes no such limitation. Compliance is met by having either one or the other so anyone boosted at any time does fulfill this criterion.

When one searches further into the the EU requirements from whence this came, other than some outliers like Greece, for example, it becomes clear that the key to the confusion is what is meant by the "last shot". It is the completion of the initial series. That is 2 shots of the MRNA or the single Janzen. The booster is a separate entity and thus far has no similar limit. It is unfortunate that the imprecision of the announcement introduces ambiguity and confusion. Part of it is "Lost in Translation". In any case, there is no expiry of the booster.

So far, the only people who would be caught up in this confusion would be Israelis who received boosters last July, but over time it will capture others. I seriously doubt a fourth vaccine booster of the same formulation will ever be a requirement, though a modified shot could be needed at some point. With the fluidity of rule changes, it is hard to predict what will or will not occur, including removal of all vaccine mandates

But in the meantime, the 270 day limit will not apply to the booster and that will, after one step forward and two steps back, be clarified in the coming days and weeks.

Below is a link to the Netherlands government site and a "cut and paste" with reference to the validity periods for the primary vaccination series and the booster. It is clear and precise.

I recognize that the rules for the European Netherlands do not directly apply to Bonaire in many cases, but I am confident that this is what they meant to say here.

Fully vaccinated​

Fully vaccinated means:

• the vaccination schedule consists of a single dose and this single dose has been administered (Janssen); OR
  • the vaccination schedule consists of 2 doses and:
    • both doses have been administered, or
    • 1 dose has been administered and it has been confirmed that the person vaccinated had previously been infected with the virus SARS-CoV-2.

Validity begins 2 or 4 weeks after vaccination​

Validity ends 270 days after vaccination (without booster)​

Proof of vaccination is valid for 270 days after you received the final dose of your primary vaccination.

Booster vaccination​

A booster vaccination is an additional dose you received after completing your primary vaccination.

Validity begins immediately after booster vaccination​

Proof of vaccination is valid immediately after receiving a booster dose.

No end date for validity after booster vaccination​

Proof of vaccination is valid indefinitely after you receive your booster vaccination.

Just to be clear, the previous post was exclusively about the description of the vaccine requirements. So before someone latches onto the existing requirement for non-EU nationals to have a test, here is the link and the paste highlighted in red of the new requirements coming into force this week that exempt vaccinated travellers from testing:

Travelling to the Netherlands

Travellers coming from within the EU or the Schengen area​

• As of 23 March, travellers to the Netherlands coming from within the EU or the Schengen area will no longer require a test, proof of recovery or proof of vaccination.
  • Travellers must still complete a health declaration.

Travellers coming from outside the EU or the Schengen area​

• The rules will also be lifted for nationals of EU countries travelling to the Netherlands from countries outside the EU and the Schengen area.
  • Non-EU nationals remain subject to an EU entry ban. Exemptions apply in several cases, however, such as for people travelling from ‘safe’ countries, travellers with a proof of vaccination and people travelling for certain purposes.
  • The test requirement will be lifted.

• Travellers must still complete a health declaration.

Back
Top Bottom