Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• DAN trip and annual travel insurance plans MAY provide coverage if you, your host at your destination, a travel companion or a family member test positive for COVID-19.

It's the word "may" in the wording above that worries me. I need to see WILL before I buy that policy. Trawick, Aura and other insurance companies are better for this.

Concern over quarantine costs in the event I tested positive were at the top of my list for my Bonaire trip a couple of months ago. I got an Allianz policy, but I studied the provisions of a number of different policies--most worded less than clearly--before choosing one. Some of them appeared to differentiate getting "sick" from Covid and merely testing positive for the virus. DAN travel insurance was not one I looked at. The fine print--if you can decipher it--is everything.
I usually purchase the DAN Premium Trip Insurance...and I would have regardless of the additional Covid coverage they say they are providing. My trip to Bonaire will be from 11/24 to 12/1.

I sincerely hope I don't have to provide a my personal experience of the claim process. :)

<joke mode on>
I can see how a positive test would be exceptionally expensive if you have to quarantine in Cozumel given that you received the positive test result in Bonaire!
<joke mode off>

This thread is all about Bonaire...which I think would likely be even more expensive that Cozumel.
My point, poorly made, is we have traveled for diving, are going to continue traveling for diving. COVID will be here for a long time (4 ever ?). If vaccinated chances of testing + is small.

Our health insurance is good overseas and on Bonaire (been to their hospital for 3 days on boat accident).

Anyways, If insurance makes you feel better then get it. My COVID risk profile on island is LOW. Mask wearing and social distancing rules apply.

Higher risk geting it here in Kansas than Bonaire (they are over 73٪ vacinated 18+ years of age). edited percentage

No longer Antigen test on landing or test at 5 days for vaccinated people.

We choose not to let COVID win.

Your risk factor and comfort level should guide you because everyone's situation is different.

If vaccinated your chances if testing + is small.
Hold on. Is that correct? My understanding is that I, as a fully vaxxed person, am only slightly less likely for the virus to gain a sufficient foothold for me to test positive than an unvaccinated person--the likelihood depends more on the quantity of virus I am exposed to--although I am much less likely to get "sick" than an unvaccinated person.

@drrich2 ?

JD, are you vacinated? We are and been to Cozumel in June, going there again in 3 weeks, Bonaire in Feb and Roaran in April.
COVID is not going away. With testing ptotocol every one on the plane going to Bonaire is tested Negative.
US went from Very High to High.
We are and boosted. Although I appreciate the testing beiing done to make things safe, I really feel it should be part of the international ticket price and available at every airport. Hunting around for clear instructions and a testing site with same day turn around is a nightmare. I ended up emailing Bonaire Health directly to find out exactly what was acceptable due to the vague information online. They kindly responded right away.

It's the word "may" in the wording above that worries me. I need to see WILL before I buy that policy. Trawick, Aura and other insurance companies are better for this.
Yes, that termanology bothered me as well, I called and they told me it was covered, the term may is subject to all of the other disclaimers. Steve with DAN Trip insurance 800-446-2671 X 1339 was very helpful.

We are lucky. We have free COVID testing stations. Used them twice. PCR test with turn around same day if aample before 2PM and 24 if after 2PM. We tested a few weeks when we got back from trips.

Hold on. Is that correct? My understanding is that I, as a fully vaxxed person, am only slightly less likely for the virus to gain a sufficient foothold for me to test positive than an unvaccinated person--the likelihood depends more on the quantity of virus I am exposed to--although I am much less likely to get "sick" than an unvaccinated person.

@drrich2 ?
Not a virologists nor a doctor, so I know jack. But viral load should be lower in fully vax vs non vax person. That viral load will continued go be surpressed because of antibodys.

I have heard there have been breakthrough infections, but not at the rate of infection for unvax.

Efficacy rate of 95%.... you hear stuff like 8 times less likely to get infected....
Less likely to have serious illness if infected...

I did not mean to discuss Vaccine efficacy.

Your decision to travel should be based upon you health and what your risks factors.

We are and boosted. Although I appreciate the testing beiing done to make things safe, I really feel it should be part of the international ticket price and available at every airport. Hunting around for clear instructions and a testing site with same day turn around is a nightmare. I ended up emailing Bonaire Health directly to find out exactly what was acceptable due to the vague information online. They kindly responded right away.
It is 48 hours before departure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom