Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same situation as @tursiops only a week later. I give it 50/50 shot (maybe less) that IDNow works.

1640182587770.png

You know things have really gone off the rails when the perpetually calm and factual tursiops calls it a Clusterf**k!

The anxiety of getting test results in time, particularly over the holiday season with lab closures, airline agents mis-applying policies and the high costs of testing could definitely make a trip to Bonaire more trouble than it is worth right now. I think if I was planning a one or two week trip I would go elsewhere with fewer hassles. No testing for vaccinated travellers to Honduras, for example. Or Mexico.

Where do they check test results, at the ticket counter or the gate of the flight to Bonaire? I assume it's at the ticket counter of the first leg, before you get boarding passes. If that's the case, then all I need to do is convince my regional airport attendant that the destination accepts this test (I guess?).

...We have a negative ID NOW test, and a letter from Bonaire Pubic Health tha that will get us into Bonaire.
We have taken a PCR lest, but low confidence we will get the results in time to use them.
We have low confidence that AA will accept our ID NOW results...

I hope it works out for you. On October 20, my wife and I used an Abbott ID Now result to board our American Airlines flight in Philadelphia and to enter Bonaire. It went perfectly smoothly, no questions.

Where do they check test results, at the ticket counter or the gate of the flight to Bonaire? I assume it's at the ticket counter of the first leg, before you get boarding passes. If that's the case, then all I need to do is convince my regional airport attendant that the destination accepts this test (I guess?).
Best of luck. Problem is that the airline
at the airport is responsible if they allow an “unqualified” passenger board. So they’re not exactly motivated to take a chance.

at the airport is responsible if they allow an “unqualified” passenger board. So they’re not exactly motivated to take a chance.
American seems the best choice right now. On their Ready-to-Fly page when you check in for Bonaire it says:
1640191135903.png

Notice the word NAAT. It is incorrectly used but might get you on the place with an ID NOW test.

Reality: No one has an f’ing clue about the tests. Major problem. Each should classified into a group: type A or B or C then specify which is acceptable. Put it on the test result, box, clinic so that it’s easily seen. The average Joe has no idea how to differentiate between NAAT, PCR, antigen etc. It must be so frustrating for many at the airports now. This adds enormous stress to a vacation.

We just traveled to Bonaire over Thanksgiving on American with the Abbott ID Now tests and had no problem. In fact, I had the same email confirmation from Bonaire Health in hand. There is so much misinformation out there, or rather misuse of terminology, that you really don't know what to believe. This was posted on a medical clinic to clear up confusion on tests ;-):

"Rapid Molecular PCR Testing

While PCR tests for COVID-19 once could only be done in labs, they can now be carried out quickly on-site, producing results in a matter of minutes. Where these rapid COVID testing units are available, they are a great option for getting fast and reliable results.

At Physicians Immediate Care, we are able to offer the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 Rapid Molecular PCR test (This is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test – NAAT) with results in under 15 minutes. We prefer this test due to its high accuracy (less than a 0.5% chance that a negative result is inaccurate) and speed of results. Results are available in less than 15 minutes, making it the fastest rapid point of care molecular COVID-19 test. Fast, accurate results help us follow up immediately and provide the best possible care for our patients."

So this says that it is a PCR test and NAAT?

Anyway, we had no trouble with this test other than the $175 cash fee they charge and that they won't bill insurance, but Bonaire was worth it. Hopefully they continue to allow this test or even something more cost effective in the future.

It’s a small island. You might be asking too much from local talent.

So this says that it is a PCR test and NAAT?
I believe that is just wrong, which leads to even more confusion.
I know it's a risk, but at this point there's not much I can do. I'll try to get PCR results, but in my area they're taking 3-5+ days (which is useless on so many more levels than just travel). The only other option is to drive 3+ hours to a major international airport and pay $100's to get a 24 hour test.

Back
Top Bottom