Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real problem these days is finding somewhere to get a Covid test of any kind. In NJ it’s almost impossible. You can’t even buy a home antigen test.
We live across the river from Kentucky. Ohio is a testing nightmare, except that (so far) home tests are generally available for purchase (or were on Sunday). But a quarter-mile into Kentucky is a drive-through PCR test center which is paid for by the state, open to anyone, from anywhere (I recently took a friend, a UK native returning to Grand Cayman, and there was no problem). there are multiple lines, and the results are prompt. There are about a dozen locations around the state. The same company, Gravity Diagnostics, has about 10 locations in Indiana, also free to the public. Why on earth this isn’t happening nationally, given the amount of public funding available for COVID response, is beyond me—but I’m surely grateful to Kentucky For its sound approaches to public health.

We live across the river from Kentucky. Ohio is a testing nightmare, except that (so far) home tests are generally available for purchase (or were on Sunday). But a quarter-mile into Kentucky is a drive-through PCR test center which is paid for by the state, open to anyone, from anywhere (I recently took a friend, a UK native returning to Grand Cayman, and there was no problem). there are multiple lines, and the results are prompt. There are about a dozen locations around the state. The same company, Gravity Diagnostics, has about 10 locations in Indiana, also free to the public. Why on earth this isn’t happening nationally, given the amount of public funding available for COVID response, is beyond me—but I’m surely grateful to Kentucky For its sound approaches to public health.
We have 5 test centers within 5 miles of my home. Countless pop-up docs doing testing. Two major hospitals. The lines for testing are long outside each building. No home testing kits available. It’s chaos. I would not want to be traveling to any destination requiring a test right now.

We have 5 test centers within 5 miles of my home. Countless pop-up docs doing testing. Two major hospitals. The lines for testing are long outside each building. No home testing kits available. It’s chaos. I would not want to be traveling to any destination requiring a test right now.
I’m in central NJ and not seeing any delays in getting tested for travel unless you are a poor planner/walk-in.

We just made our appointments for our Jan 5th Aruba pre-trip testing - no issue with scheduling at the same local place we’ve used for other trips this year. $50 and we get NAAT PCR results in an hour or so.

For home kits, my company provides us with Abbott BinaxNOW kits to test daily if we don’t want to wear a mask in the office (if vaxxed), so I luckily have a little stockpile of those at home!

I’m in central NJ and not seeing any delays in getting tested for travel unless you are a poor planner/walk-in.

We just made our appointments for our Jan 5th Aruba pre-trip testing - no issue with scheduling at the local same place we’ve used for other trips this year. $50 and we get NAAT PCR results in an hour or so.

For home kits, my company provides us with Abbott BinaxNOW kits to test daily if we don’t want to wear a mask in the office (if vaxxed), so I luckily have a little stockpile of those at home!

Wow, I am impressed by that!... I haven't checked lately, but they were just not available around here. Your company must have a big contract with Abbott.

They are $10 each at our local Safeway.
I followed a link from Delta's website to buy two test kits for $69, which included next-day shipping. :eek:

We just made our appointments for our Jan 5th Aruba pre-trip testing - no issue with scheduling at the same local place we’ve used for other trips this year. $50 and we get NAAT PCR results in an hour or so.

You’re lucky down there. No such luck up here. Thanks to all those companies buying them for their employees. :wink:

They are $10 each at our local Safeway.

You’re lucky down there. No such luck up here. Thanks to all those companies buying them for their employees. :wink:

I'm really tired of antigen tests being referred to as "rapid" tests. Totally misleading. You can't get into Bonaire with one of those, no matter how fast they are. Grumble grumble.

I followed a link from Delta's website to buy two test kits for $69, which included next-day shipping. :eek:
The issue, for Bonaire, isn't how fast you can get the test, it is how fast you can get the results back.

I'm really tired of antigen tests being referred to as "rapid" tests. Totally misleading. You can't get into Bonaire with one of those, no matter how fast they are. Grumble grumble.
I thought Bonaire required a NAAT test. Am I wrong? Antigen or Lateral Flow tests (if observed independently) are sufficient for re-entry to the US. Where is the confusion? I sympathize with you and the misleading nomenclature Senor Quixote but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom