Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today (Monday, 12/20) the CDC put Bonaire on Level 4, which is their highest travel risk, meaning they've averaged more than 500 cases per 100,000 residents for the last 28 days. If I'm doing the math right, that would mean 100-ish cases in Bonaire (population 20,000) in the last month.

Today (Monday, 12/20) the CDC put Bonaire on Level 4, which is their highest travel risk, meaning they've averaged more than 500 cases per 100,000 residents for the last 28 days. If I'm doing the math right, that would mean 100-ish cases in Bonaire (population 20,000) in the last month.
What the CDC means by "Case Count" is how many new cases cases in the last 28 days. It is NOT normalized by 100k or by population or anything.
The plot looks like this:
1640039325636.png

The case count peeked up above 500 for just 11 days.
The secondary criterion for the CDC to set the Threat Notice Level is the Testing rate, i.e. how many test per 100k people over the last 28 days. For Bonaire right now this number is typically 5.

New cases in BON reported by WHO:

Dec 14: 29
Dec 15: 6
Dec 16: 12
Dec 17: 6
Dec 18: 13

Not strikingly large at the moment, but with cases growing rapidly in the US and the Netherlands, it would be surprising if these numbers don't go higher.

What the CDC means by "Case Count" is how many new cases cases in the last 28 days. It is NOT normalized by 100k or by population or anything.
The plot looks like this:
View attachment 696562
The case count peeked up above 500 for just 11 days.
The secondary criterion for the CDC to set the Threat Notice Level is the Testing rate, i.e. how many test per 100k people over the last 28 days. For Bonaire right now this number is typically 5.
Certainly went up significantly after our visit end of Oct, early Nov.

We had six scheduled for a January 5-12 trip now down to four. I am struggling weather to cancel or try and go. I have two days to decide in order to get a full refund on our condo after that we are out the money. I get the feeling things are going to get worse for a few weeks

What the CDC means by "Case Count" is how many new cases cases in the last 28 days.
You can hash it out with CNN. From their article about this:
"(CNN) — The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention added eight destinations to its highest-risk category for travel on Monday, including . . .
• Bonaire
. . . The CDC places a destination at Level 4 when more than 500 cases per 100,000 residents are registered in the past 28 days." [Red emphasis added by me.]

Here's the full CDC criteria, from their website:
COVID-19 and Your Health

You can hash it out with CNN. From their article about this:
"(CNN) — The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention added eight destinations to its highest-risk category for travel on Monday, including . . .
• Bonaire
. . . The CDC places a destination at Level 4 when more than 500 cases per 100,000 residents are registered in the past 28 days." [Red emphasis added by me.]

Here's the full CDC criteria, from their website:
COVID-19 and Your Health
I'm sorry, but what you are quoting is for countries with populations greater than 100k people.

New cases in BON reported by WHO:

Dec 14: 29
Dec 15: 6
Dec 16: 12
Dec 17: 6
Dec 18: 13

Not strikingly large at the moment, but with cases growing rapidly in the US and the Netherlands, it would be surprising if these numbers don't go higher.
Here is what the plot looks like since Sep 2020. It has decreased significantly since early December.
1640049125081.png

The real problem these days is finding somewhere to get a Covid test of any kind. In NJ it’s almost impossible. You can’t even buy a home antigen test.

I would hate to have to depend on getting one in the timeframes required to travel to some places including Bonaire. I reckon that at some point in the upcoming Omicron deluge, people with “legitimate” reasons for testing will take precedent over leisure travel.

The real problem these days is finding somewhere to get a Covid test of any kind. In NJ it’s almost impossible. You can’t even buy a home antigen test.

I would hate to have to depend on getting one in the timeframes required to travel to some places including Bonaire. I reckon that at some point in the upcoming Omicron deluge, people with “legitimate” reasons for testing will take precedent over leisure travel.

That effect was visible in Canada before Omicron with the public system unable to provide timely "elective" tests and people forced to use (and pay for) private tests. Not wanting to have a debate about single payer healthcare today, just agreeing that testing scarcity is a thing, and travellers will probably continue to be far back in the queue most places.

Back
Top Bottom