Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. Probably the same guy. Gown and gloves but no mask. Dripping sweat but very friendly. Can only imagine how hot that job is in the Bonaire afternoons.

Update: Changes in Local restrictions and entry testing
===================================
Covid infections still increasing; latest data, from today, Nov 25.
1637890833788.png

Lt. Governor Edison Rijna spoke today on his concerns and some changes that start Saturday, Nov 17; some excepts (Google/Chrome Translate):
--------------------------------------------
  • Today we have 210 active infections. Of the latest infections, 50% of the source of the infections is unknown. The Public Health Department has noticed that people who have complaints or who had close contact with an infected person do not always come to test. I very much regret this. Because there are infected children and adults walking around who can infect others unnoticed.
  • We can stop the spread if we reduce the number of contacts between people. That is why I have decided to take some measures. These will come into effect on Saturday 27 November and will apply until Monday 3 January.
  • I make an urgent request to every employer to let their staff work from home as much as possible.
  • Together with the schools, it has been decided to make December 17 the last day of school this year.
  • I would like to ask everyone to receive all their visitors outside in the coming time, for example on the balcony. The maximum number of people that can get together at home or, for example, on the beach or kunuku is 10 people, including roommates.
  • From Saturday 27 November it is mandatory to wear face masks in public indoor areas.
  • there is no longer allowed to sing and dance by the public inside or outside.
  • From November 27, it is mandatory for both vaccinated and unvaccinated people to go into quarantine if they have been in contact with an infected person or an infected housemate. With this we follow the new guidelines of the RIVM. After five days of quarantine, you can take a test at Public Health, and after a negative result you can leave quarantine. A person who tests positive must of course remain in isolation at home and follow the advice of Public Health.
  • The entry conditions will change with effect from 30 November. From then on, fully vaccinated people traveling to Bonaire can choose whether to do an antigen test 24 hours before departure, or a PCR test 48 hours before departure. Travelers who are not or not fully vaccinated must do a PCR test 48 hours in advance.
  • I would like to ask everyone to always keep one and a half meters away.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those items that are new and particularly apply to visitors are in Blue Bold. Of particular note is the entry testing. Prior to 30 November, fully vaccinated travelers from High Risk countries (like the US) needed a NAAT test within 48 of departure but those from Low Risk countries (like Canada) needed no test. Now, apparently, no matter where you are coming from, you will be treated as effectively High Risk. The good news is that instead of the within-48h-of-departure PCR test, you can choose to take a within-24h antigen test. The latter is cheaper, easier, faster, and available from more places.

More details and clarifications are sure to come out in the next few days.

Attachments

• 1637890904025.png
    1637890904025.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 24
Are there significant numbers of animals on the island? They can be a reservoir of virus.

Update: Changes in Local restrictions and entry testing
===================================
Covid infections still increasing; latest data, from today, Nov 25.
View attachment 692714

Lt. Governor Edison Rijna spoke today on his concerns and some changes that start Saturday, Nov 17; some excepts (Google/Chrome Translate):
--------------------------------------------
  • Today we have 210 active infections. Of the latest infections, 50% of the source of the infections is unknown. The Public Health Department has noticed that people who have complaints or who had close contact with an infected person do not always come to test. I very much regret this. Because there are infected children and adults walking around who can infect others unnoticed.
  • We can stop the spread if we reduce the number of contacts between people. That is why I have decided to take some measures. These will come into effect on Saturday 27 November and will apply until Monday 3 January.
  • I make an urgent request to every employer to let their staff work from home as much as possible.
  • Together with the schools, it has been decided to make December 17 the last day of school this year.
  • I would like to ask everyone to receive all their visitors outside in the coming time, for example on the balcony. The maximum number of people that can get together at home or, for example, on the beach or kunuku is 10 people, including roommates.
  • From Saturday 27 November it is mandatory to wear face masks in public indoor areas.
  • there is no longer allowed to sing and dance by the public inside or outside.
  • From November 27, it is mandatory for both vaccinated and unvaccinated people to go into quarantine if they have been in contact with an infected person or an infected housemate. With this we follow the new guidelines of the RIVM. After five days of quarantine, you can take a test at Public Health, and after a negative result you can leave quarantine. A person who tests positive must of course remain in isolation at home and follow the advice of Public Health.
  • The entry conditions will change with effect from 30 November. From then on, fully vaccinated people traveling to Bonaire can choose whether to do an antigen test 24 hours before departure, or a PCR test 48 hours before departure. Travelers who are not or not fully vaccinated must do a PCR test 48 hours in advance.
  • I would like to ask everyone to always keep one and a half meters away.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those items that are new and particularly apply to visitors are in Blue Bold. Of particular note is the entry testing. Prior to 30 November, fully vaccinated travelers from High Risk countries (like the US) needed a NAAT test within 48 of departure but those from Low Risk countries (like Canada) needed no test. Now, apparently, no matter where you are coming from, you will be treated as effectively High Risk. The good news is that instead of the within-48h-of-departure PCR test, you can choose to take a within-24h antigen test. The latter is cheaper, easier, faster, and available from more places.

More details and clarifications are sure to come out in the next few days.
Thanks for this update!

I booked my trip right before the uptick.

I am monitoring this closely as I am headed there 12/20-1/3 to complete my OWC referral and spend 2 weeks diving for the first time.

Kind of bummed as it sounds like there will be no NYE partying. But a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

This thread and your post have been immensely helpful!

Are there significant numbers of animals on the island? They can be a reservoir of virus.
Does it matter what kind of animals?
What is "significant?"

Does it matter what kind of animals?
What is "significant?"
Right now the assumption is that people without a known exposure source must have been exposed unknowingly to another person, which is an assumption that can be made only if people are the only hosts of the virus. Yet this is a category of virus that is known to infect multiple animals, mostly mammals. I know it can infect deer, cats, and mink. Maybe there are others as well that come in contact with humans quite often. Scientists haven’t got a good idea of the possibilities yet and variants with different cross species infectivity are constantly evolving; hence we are were we are now.

Right now the assumption is that people without a known exposure source must have been exposed unknowingly to another person, which is an assumption that can be made only if people are the only hosts of the virus. Yet this is a category of virus that is known to infect multiple animals, mostly mammals. I know it can infect deer, cats, and mink. Maybe there are others as well that come in contact with humans quite often. Scientists haven’t got a good idea of the possibilities yet and variants with different cross species infectivity are constantly evolving; hence we are were we are now.
Well, seems an unlikely issue in Bonaire. No deer, no mink, a few cats, a number of dogs and donkeys, and some goats. It is not obvious that a source other than people is needed in Bonaire, given their numbers.

Editorial in a local Bonairian newspaper, Bonaire.nu; dated yesterday. Perhaps it had an effect!

We went to Bonaire end of September. We had to test PCR within 48 hours of departure to Bonaire. We had to show we had been vaccinated as well. To return to the US we had to get tested yet again and this was done at Divi on site. Fairly painless but still it all adds stress to the trip. So to get in and out one must be tested and really to go there you must be vaccinated. How can travelers who have been vaccinated and tested before arrival and during be a vector and to who is anyone or any sort of animal a vector if the population is being vaccinated? Well, despite all this, the Divi crew, those still employed, were cheerful and in good spirits. I wish them all well.

James

So to get in and out one must be tested and really to go there you must be vaccinated.
From the US, yes, tested, but you can enter if you are not vaccinated. From some other countries you do not even need to be tested, much less vaccinated. Note that the US visitors to Bonaire are in the minority; the Dutch are the big visiting group. Testing EVERYONE is the new plan, and it makes sense.

And face masks in public indoor spaces make sense, too. That is a new rule.

Back
Top Bottom