Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure there is. The stuff about DIR guys just staring at gauges, swimming at a snails pace, about how gue guys cant spear, etc

OMG. Beam me up Scottie. I'm in the Twilight Zone.

I didn't tell anyone how to dive.

The assertion was that you can't spear/hunt and be DIR, which is just plain baloney. The other comment that prompted my initial post in this thread was the some "DIR" guy was a douche to someone because they had a vintage reg.

Its a classic case of folks trying to tell DIR/GUE divers how GUE/DIR divers dive, but getting it wrong.

Ok, I'll bite.. we saw a video posted in this thread of guys NOT using pony bottles, while diving past the recreational limits. I was not so sure how it was relevant to the discussion.. but now people have brought up spearfishing.

I am very interested in hearing how the DIR teams engage in spearfishing. Is there any video of this? Apparently it is done like any other activity... I would really love to try to learn a few things from the world class experts in spearfishing the GUE/DIR method.

Are there any well know DIR divers that are accomplished spearfisherman? I know enough about DIR to know that every detail down to the content of pockets is explicitly defined and matched by all members of the team. Is their formal guidance as to how DIR spearfishing is done? I'm serious here, I want to see it and learn about it...

Ok, I'll bite.. we saw a video posted in this thread of guys NOT using pony bottles, while diving past the recreational limits. I was not so sure how it was relevant to the discussion.. but now people have brought up spearfishing.

I am very interested in hearing how the DIR teams engage in spearfishing. Is there any video of this? Apparently it is done like any other activity... I would really love to try to learn a few things from the world class experts in spearfishing the GUE/DIR method.

Are there any well know DIR divers that are accomplished spearfisherman? I know enough about DIR to know that every detail down to the content of pockets is explicitly defined and matched by all members of the team. Is their formal guidance as to how DIR spearfishing is done? I'm serious here, I want to see it and learn about it...

Im with you, that video is NOT relevant to the discussion and I found it tacky. I think we're all in agreement.

Not sure if there are videos of DIR guys spearing. I own a gun and have speared on occasion, but its not my thing. Same with lobstering. Guys do it all the time in DIR teams.

You won't find some sort of super official "GUE says" way to do it (hunting, or taking pictures, or video, or survey, or anything else), but you I think you can generally stick together as a team, do all the DIR stuff, and still bag hogfish. I know some spear guys swim off at max speed, leave their 'buddies', dive deep on air/nitrox, run out of gas, etc, but certainly not ALL of them do that.

And that stuff about your pockets is mostly a class thing. IRL, no one gives a **** about what pocket you put your wetnotes in. Sometimes it makes sense to have stuff on a side thats easy to get at, but other than that no one cares.

Thanks, I never agreed with someone who said DIR spearfishing is not practical. However, when you DIR people say that it most certainly IS practical, then I think it is reasonable to say "show me". Spearfishing is pretty complex, especially when deep. If you claim that DIR divers do it as a team, I want to see that it is true.

The DIR stuff is incredibly detailed, showing 45 sub-steps to deploying a SMB, surely your DIR spearfisherman have the protocols for something MUCH more challenging and diverse and unpredictable as spearing ... totally worked out.. you brought it up.. let's see it.

I personally don't give a #### which side spearos hang their stage bottle(s) when spearfishing, but you guys seem to make a huge deal of it. Surely you have detailed guidance about where the stringer should be placed, the catch bag, which hand a pole spear is carried.. How they handle that light with the cord wrapped around their arm while battling large fish..

Let's see some evidence of a regimented, detailed "system" , that is robust, scalable and applicable to ALL conditions and which also provides unique benefits to the participants which are unattainable with ANY other system or configuration. ..Show us DIR spearfishing!!!

I guess that all it takes to be a good spear fisherman is a STROKE of luck? :wink:

The speargun goes in your hand. Clip the stringer off to a dring. Go shoot a fish.

Done.

Wasnt that easy?

The speargun goes in your hand. Clip the stringer off to a dring. Go shoot a fish.

Done.

Wasnt that easy?

Slap a pony bottle on the side of your tank, watch your freaking SPG, if you have a problem stick the pony reg in your mouth and go up. Wasn't that easy?

Can I wave the BS flag now?

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 05:45 PM ----------

Done.

Wasnt that easy?

I like this video I found on youtube. These guys are very effectively using their DIR slates to communicate and coordinate. 250 ft.. It's easy huh?

[video=youtube_share;igUKiXzmYIk]http://youtu.be/igUKiXzmYIk[/video]

Its a classic case of folks trying to tell DIR/GUE divers how GUE/DIR divers dive, but getting it wrong.

I was ok with your posts but to be fair; it all started with greg (dir) telling pony divers how pony divers dive, but getting it wrong.

I like this video I found on youtube. These guys are very effectively using their DIR slates to communicate and coordinate. 250 ft.. It's easy huh?

[video=youtube_share;igUKiXzmYIk]http://youtu.be/igUKiXzmYIk[/video]

Firstly, DIR divers don't carry slates, and secondly, the divers in the video are clearly not DIR divers as shown in the video.

I have GUE training and most of my dives follow the GUE system. Even though I have never been spearfishing, I think it is pretty easy to see how DIR divers might engage in spearfishing without seeing a video. I'm not saying I could do it without some instruction and practice, but I can definitely picture it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom