Couple of questions on UK diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Semi dries are fine down to 10C, if you dive in a quarry then you need a drysuit as the temperature will go down to 4C. Anyone who dives in a quarry in anything but a drysuit in winter is a statistic waiting to happen..

The first dive I made in 2010 where the sea water temp was as high as 10C was on 21 June.

Wetsuits and semis are perhaps useful on the south coast but elsewhere they can be totally inappropriate.

In addition the actual dive is only half the battle. Get cold in a drysuit and once you're back on the surface you will re-warm fairly quickly. Get cold in a wetsuit or semi and you will stay cold or actually get colder unless it is on one of the rare warm summer days we experience.

The first dive I made in 2010 where the sea water temp was as high as 10C was on 21 June.
That's the north/south divide, it was 7C today so I only spent 2 hours in water.

All my comments have been regarding the south coast as the OP is moving to London, if they want to dive as far north as you I'd definitely suggest a drysuit.

That's the north/south divide, it was 7C today so I only spent 2 hours in water.

All my comments have been regarding the south coast as the OP is moving to London, if they want to dive as far north as you I'd definitely suggest a drysuit.

Ah, although the OP did state they were moving to London they did ask 'a couple of questions about UK diving'.

I was obviously forgetting that, for some, London and the South Coast are synonymous with 'UK'.:wink:

I was obviously forgetting that, for some, London and the South Coast are synonymous with 'UK'.:wink:[/QUOTE]

LOL:D

what would you miss if aliens took everything within the M25?

ILOL:D

what would you miss if aliens took everything within the M25?

I dunno, jellied eels, pie and mash, cockneys (they all sound the same down there anyway)?

Nah, I wouldn't miss much at all.:D

Just because I'm moving to London, does not mean there will not be dive trips planned to other parts of the UK, such as Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, etc... So any and all information on the various places to go diving in the UK is appreciated.

Just because I'm moving to London, does not mean there will not be dive trips planned to other parts of the UK, such as Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, etc... So any and all information on the various places to go diving in the UK is appreciated.

Wales? That's going a bit far. It's a wasteland out there.

If/when you get to planning your diving in Scotland drop me a line.

And there's some great diving in Wales, but just to far to go now.

Regards

i think you have just had your first lesson on just how regional we are over here. dive trips out of london are essential - thames mud does not make for good diving:)

when do you get here?

wales hmmmm do you speak welsh?

i think i would miss cameras underwater, thankfully their head office is in deepest darkest Devon so could be salvaged:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom