Could this be true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While I do consider myself an optimist, this seems a bit too much:

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20041112235853data_trunc_sys.shtml

Is there any truth in this? I'm a firm believer in the resiliance of nature, but imho it's a bit too optimistic to think that coral reefs could actually benefit from global warming. I'd love for this to be true, but I'm doubtful that it is. Any marine biologists on the board please comment. :confused:

sounds nice.. but i guess there is only one way to prove a hypothesis, and thats by waiting till the year 2100.. lol..

I don't think they have any idea what global warming will do over the long term.
Some believe the uk will have medetarian weather, others say that the gulf stream will stop and the UK will be in an ice age.
As with many thing do to with the weather we are guessing, educated guesses, scientific guesses, but still guesses.
I hope that the reefs of the world will survive and flourish for future generations.

The factors mentioned could increase coral reef growth. But that must be weighted against the factors that destroy coral: increased sediment, increased nutrient, physical damage, etc. Which will win out? Who knows, but a pronouncment that suggests the coral reef crisis is over and everything is getting better, is irresponsible at best. Sure, hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Now, there are a couple of reasons I'm skeptical about this site. This theory makes sense to me personally, but the main reason I'm skeptical is that, if heat is good for coral, why did El Nino wipe out half of the reefs in the Indo-Pacific in 1998, seems paradoxical, doesn't it? Also, the web site's other content doesn't inspire confidence.

I thought they were bleaching out and dying at an alarming rate. What will it be tomorrow?

Warm oceans with lush colorful gorwth would be a nice aftermath.

That is an interesting...I guess some coral will die with global warming, but mayby more will form. East Central Florida would be an excellant lab to test the theory

Just one more quick (and maybe trivial) question to fuel discussion. All of the global warming articles cite a simulation that predicted a water temperature rise of 2 degrees Celsius (I know how us divers all hate metric). Does anyone know how much of a change in water temperature the 1998 El Nino caused in the places that were worst hit? I think this would help put it into perspective.

From my saltwater aquarium days, I learned that corals live in a very narrow temperature band. Some were limited to only a 5 degree F window, with no more than 3 degrees per day change. This band is different with each species which explains the different corals at different latitudes. Since corals don't move, a rapid temperature shift like El Nino (which Chris Farley says is Spanish for "the Nino") kills coral. A slow, steady temperature shift of a couple degrees over a number of years would only change the range of species by killing those that get too warm and allowing the species to spread into areas previously too cold for them. If it changes too fast, it kills the corals faster than they can spread.

My 2 psi,
Bryan.

A 2 degree Celsius increase in water temp?! Crap, I knew I should've bought a 3mm instead of a 5mm!

Kidding aside, an increase in water temp would be more favorable to algae than corals. And if there aren't enough herbivores to keep them in check, or if the wrong kind of algae flourishes (e.g. Caulerpa, Padina, the ones herbivores don't eat) then they will choke the reefs. Warmer water may be good for both corals and algae, but keep in mind that algae grow and propagate faster.

Back
Top Bottom