PFO Closure resulting in more migraines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I am a first time poster. Please delete if this breaks any rules or if I’ve posted this in the wrong place.

I had a PFO closure done 3+ weeks ago due to multiple “undeserved” DCS hits with conservative profiles and other conservative measures. They found I had a small PFO (moderate sized when doing Valsalva) and I opted to get the PFO closed to help mitigate DCS risk as well as to reduce stroke risk since I have blood clotting issues too. The procedure apparently went well with no complications.

However, since the procedure I have already had 6+ migraines with aura. One symptom being I lose the ability to comprehend written word which is unsettling. I get blurry vision and pretty much can’t see anything during these episodes as well.

Prior to my closure, I did get very occasional migraines but no where near this frequency or with this severity of symptoms. For reference, I have had more migraines in the last 3 weeks than I’ve had in the last 3 years.

I talked to my cardiologist about it because as of right now these migraines are kind of taking over and ruining my life. I’m unable to work and they come on so randomly. His response was basically to see a neurologist and that there was nothing he could do.

I have prescription medication for migraines that helps a bit, but still not enough to function.

I found this study which references an increase in migraines post PFO closure in some patients. It also mentions the use of aspirin and clopidogrel to reduce attacks.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with this or if you’re a physician, if this has happened to patients you’ve treated? I’m fairly certain this increase is somehow related to the closure since it started almost immediately after the procedure.

I am feeling like I made a horrible medical decision and have many regrets right now over choosing to have this procedure. I’m hoping this is temporary but not feeling very optimistic at the moment.

Thanks so much for reading and sharing your thoughts/experiences, if you have any. I really appreciate it.

Brianna

Hi Brianna,

May I ask which doctors/surgeons you saw? As my understanding is that 1/4 people have a PFO (but many likely dive with one without knowing without issue, including technical diving). I've always been curious about getting checked, especially as I have plants for diving down to 100 meters.

Sorry if this is OT, but since I see you are in the Seattle area, I thought I'd ask. I am curious as to the dive professionals who are super helpful on this board will say. I sincerely hope you find a solution.

Hi Brianna,

May I ask which doctors/surgeons you saw? As my understanding is that 1/4 people have a PFO (but many likely dive with one without knowing without issue, including technical diving). I've always been curious about getting checked, especially as I have plants for diving down to 100 meters.

Sorry if this is OT, but since I see you are in the Seattle area, I thought I'd ask. I am curious as to the dive professionals who are super helpful on this board will say. I sincerely hope you find a solution.
Hi Brianna,

Most recently I saw Dr. Bird at Virginia Mason hyperbaric. I highly recommend him as he was incredibly thorough and SO knowledgeable. He was able to refer me to the interventional cardiologist who did my closure (Dr. Kritzer also at VM). Good luck on your future diving!

You just had a closure. It takes time for the procedure to actually lead to complete closure of the hole. Add to that migraines are multi factorial. Many people have many different triggers. Stress can be a major one. My wife has chronic migraines. After getting her Covid booster her migraines were much worse for a month. Most likely due to the body wide inflammatory response. I think the answer will be give it 6-8 weeks.

Have you gone and seen a neuro yet?

Not yet, the current wait to see one is 3 months. As soon as I can I will.

Get a referral from your cardiologist or your PCP and you should be able to cut that time down for an acute change. I'm sure UW has some great neuros, or go to the ER.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom