Cost of tank inspections(hydro, Vis, & refilled)......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are the going rates at my LDS in Florida

Item Description:
Price:

Hydrostatic Testing of Cylinders

$20.05

Visual Inspection of Cylinders (includes refill w/air)

$13.00

Tumbling of Cylinders

$28.00

Stu S.:
Here a "Nitrox Tank" VIP often costs more than an "Air Tank VIP". Is that usual elsewhere?

The only reason that a "Nitrox VIP" should cost more is that if they o2 clean the tank for "partial pressure nitrox blending".

Otherwise, they are just ripping you off. Banked, pre-mixed, membrame'd, or other pre-mixed nitrox blends doesn't need special VIP requirements.

I just had 2 Al 80's done last month.
Hydro + VIP + Fill = $37
VIP + FILL = $27
Fill only =$4

Hope this helps you.
Wys.

Nitrox vs. Air VIP. Should cost a little more. As a PSI, I have to be especially careful keeping tools and work area clean with Nitrox tank. I have to use special valve o-ring (costs more) and cristo-lube (costs more). I also have to use a special inspection lamp to check for contaminants in the tank (costs me a lot more for that one). So yes, you get charged more. $15 for air VIP, $18 for Nitrox VIP. If I suspect contamination, I fail the tank and you got to get it cleaned for O2. This means during the visual inspection or if the owner gives me reason to believe he has filled the Nitrox tank off of a wip that has not been rated oxygen compatible air; or if the owner has removed the valve on his own. Or if the existing o-ring and lub were not for oxygen service. A cleaning would involve a tumble with a mix of Simple Green and clean water. Then a dry using nitrogen or contaminate free air. Then a second inspection to verify o2 clean.

jscott099:
Nitrox vs. Air VIP. Should cost a little more. As a PSI, I have to be especially careful keeping tools and work area clean with Nitrox tank.

shouldn't your tools be clean on any tank you inspect?

charging more to keep a clean work area is like charging me on a item you're out of stock on a 20% special order fee because you can't manage your inventory.

Then a second inspection to verify o2 clean.

I've got to call bullcrap on this one...

So just exactly how do you "verify" it's o2 clean with a 2nd inspection.

to my knowledge there is no easy and cheap way to verify this. You definately can't do it visually unless you've got "superman vision" to see those tiny hydrocarbons?

The only thing you can do it check for the presense of dirt, moisture (simple green/water), etc in the cylinder. Only if you see something you know it's not O2 clean. But there is no way to visually verify that it's o2 clean.

All you can do is verify that you follow your o2 cleaning procedure properly.

Now, I think everyone fully expects to pay more for o2 cleaning, but not extra for a "nitrox visual" over a normal visual.

awap:
$35 out the door

You're lucky, the hydro facility here charges that for the new hydro and visual eddy test they had to impliment this year. We had to break our hydro prices down for older alum., newer alum, steels.

mike_s:
jscott099:
Nitrox vs. Air VIP. Should cost a little more. As a PSI, I have to be especially careful keeping tools and work area clean with Nitrox tank.

shouldn't your tools be clean on any tank you inspect?

charging more to keep a clean work area is like charging me on a item you're out of stock on a 20% special order fee because you can't manage your inventory.

I've got to call bullcrap on this one...

So just exactly how do you "verify" it's o2 clean with a 2nd inspection.

to my knowledge there is no easy and cheap way to verify this. You definately can't do it visually unless you've got "superman vision" to see those tiny hydrocarbons?

The only thing you can do it check for the presense of dirt, moisture (simple green/water), etc in the cylinder. Only if you see something you know it's not O2 clean. But there is no way to visually verify that it's o2 clean.

All you can do is verify that you follow your o2 cleaning procedure properly.

Now, I think everyone fully expects to pay more for o2 cleaning, but not extra for a "nitrox visual" over a normal visual.

Using the "WAG" theory, I'm going to guess. Blacklight. Supposedly most hydorcarbons will glow under a black light. Not all will but most.

Do I get a cuppie doll if I'm right?:D

Here in Oklahoma at Blue Water divers in OKc it is $20 for hydro, $10 VIP, and $5 for fill. Total $35. Just had it done this month. About 4-5 week turn around for hydro :(

Lead_carrier:
mike_s:
Using the "WAG" theory, I'm going to guess. Blacklight. Supposedly most hydorcarbons will glow under a black light. Not all will but most.

Do I get a cuppie doll if I'm right?:D

I'm out of cuppie dolls. how about a smiley face? :D or :mooner: (your choice).

While they will show up in large quantities that way, what the compressed gas assoc states as o2 clean in "parts per million" won't show up to the naked eye. (black light or not).

Now with that said... I think a great item for he industry to have would be a cost effective test kit to test to see if a tank is o2 clean. maybe some type of swipe swab, and solution you pour on it that in the presence of hydrocarbons turns a certain color, which you can then cross reference to a color chart. (just an idea).

unfortunately until then, it's all a "wild *** guess" like you said.

RoadRacer1978:
Here in Oklahoma at Blue Water divers in OKc it is $20 for hydro, $10 VIP, and $5 for fill. Total $35. Just had it done this month. About 4-5 week turn around for hydro :(

Ouch! Over a month w/o your tanks?!? :confused:
How long does it really take to get thanks inspected? Maybe the demand isn't as high there as it is here in FL.

I got mine back within a week.

Wys.

Back
Top Bottom