Cost of tank inspections(hydro, Vis, & refilled)......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Picked up my 2 80 Als today(btw, bought the 1st one in '85-new- and 2nd one in '86-new-) fully ready to go(lol except in Fl & on the Fling --& other places, too I bet)........$50 each........remember, not a lot of dive shops where I am, closest one 50 miles away but this was from a lds about 65 miles away(closer to Toledo Bend Reservoir for me)......What's the going rate in your neighborhood????....

ALSO, older one is a Luxfur(with NO special # stamped on it, just the regular Al 3000 etc one) and the 'newer' one is a Catalina, will the Catalina always be OK in the future(they never used the 'bad' alloy- I believe)???......

$45, probably about average.

$30 - $50 for Hydro?VIP/Fill

The Catalina should be OK technically. As you state they did not get into the 6351 aluminum. However there are some shops that are taking stand on ANY aluminum cylinder over 20 years old. Is it ignorance or fear marketing, I don't know.

Pete

Thanks all for the replies, I figured I was on the high end of the money paid, @ least I didn't get ...lol...robbed, too bad.......good diving to all...........

One shop charges $10 for vip and fill, about $20 for hydro. Another shop charges 20 for vip and fill, and 20 or 25 for a hydro, something like that.

and yes, the Catalina should be fine but you'll meet up with alot of bull. If you like controversy, keep it! :)

36 around here. One thing though is some local hydro places ( no local shops do hydro, they take them to places that do all types of cylinders mainly commercial welding and medical supply) are refusing to even look at al tanks older than 15 yrs regardless of manufacturer or even original date. I just ran into a guy who bought 2 of a shops rental tanks that were dated 1990 and 1991. They are current (06) but two places he's been to told him good luck on getting them done again. I just bought a new al80 with pro valve on thursday for 145 bucks total to use for pool sessions and as a stage at some point. In 15 yrs if no one will do it I figure I got my money's worth out of it. It's why all my others are steel.

Does that info come directly from the hydro shops, or via the LDS? I ask because normally hydro shops are much less likely to freak out over age alone, compared to a dive shop, since hydro shops deal with old industrial tanks all the time. Can't recall every having a tank rejected or questioned on the basis of age alone, unless it was one of the oddball ones which have a limited life according to the law or its exemption.

If it was the hydro shop, then that raises some interesting questions, as hydro shops are govt licensed to do a govt mandated inspection process according to strict standards provided by the government, so it is highly questionable whether they have the descretion to start enforcing their own nutty rules over those of the govt.

JimLap:
One thing though is some local hydro places ( no local shops do hydro, they take them to places that do all types of cylinders mainly commercial welding and medical supply) are refusing to even look at al tanks older than 15 yrs regardless of manufacturer or even original date. I just ran into a guy who bought 2 of a shops rental tanks that were dated 1990 and 1991. They are current (06) but two places he's been to told him good luck on getting them done again.

If I go directly to hydro facility.
$23 for hydro, visual, & airfill​

If I get one of the Local Dive Shops to do it.
$25 hydro
$10 visual
$ 6 airfill
------------
$41 bucks total​

Now it's cheaper to go to the local hydro facility directly,, but I don't think the LDS's are overcharging for their service really as they have to pay for an employee to make two trips to the hydro facility. (one to drop off and another to pick up the tank). You're paying for convience with the LDS as they are also open later and open on saturday and our hydro facility isn't. (just something to consider).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom