Exploding tanks? This article got me a little worried....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaixon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
how often would a tank just randomly explode. I kno not to completely top them off and whatnot but after reading this article it makes me wonder, should I get brand new tanks?

St. Pete veteran killed by exploding scuba tank | TBO.com

ST. PETERSBURG --

An Iraq War veteran who moved to the Tampa Bay area to pursue his love of diving died Sunday after the scuba tank he was carrying exploded.

Russell Vanhorn II, 23, was carrying the scuba tank to his car about 6:50 a.m., getting ready for a planned diving trip, when it exploded.

The force of the explosion blew out the front door and windows of Vanhorn's apartment at 5875 37th Ave. N. The explosion also sent debris flying as far away as 75 feet. Some of that debris blew out the windows of cars parked nearby.

Vanhorn was taken to St. Petersburg General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 8 a.m., said St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue Lt. Joel Granata.

Two other people were in the apartment when the tank exploded but were not injured. They said Vanhorn was carrying the tank to a car, getting ready for a scuba diving trip, when the tank went off, Granata said.

Several other scuba tanks were in the apartment. The Tampa Police Department's bomb squad inspected the tanks and let the air out.

Vanhorn grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and joined the U.S. Marines in 2005. He completed his service in 2009 with the rank of corporal, said his brother, Justin Warnke.

He served eight months in Iraq from 2006 to 2007. After returning from Iraq, Vanhorn's battalion was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. That's where he learned to scuba dive and earned his open water scuba diving license, Warnke said.

The hobby became a passion, Warnke said.

"He fell in love with it," Warnke said. "Scuba diving was his life. That is the only thing he lived for."

After he finished his military service, about 18 months ago, Vanhorn moved to Florida, where he took courses and earned the credentials to teach scuba diving, said Warnke, who learned to scuba dive from his brother.

Vanhorn worked teaching scuba diving at dive shops in the St. Petersburg and Holiday areas, Warnke said.

"When it came to diving, he took no chances," Warnke said. "He made sure his gear was properly stored and maintained. He didn't neglect anything when it came to scuba diving.

"I know he wouldn't use something that was outdated or substandard," he said.

Investigators are still trying to determine why Vanhorn's scuba tank exploded, Granata said.

A possible reason for the tank exploding was that the tank was too full, said Billy Hussey, the manager of EZ Scuba Diving on Hillsborough Avenue in Tampa.

Scuba tanks typically hold a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen – the same as the air one would normally breathe. When a tank is refilled, it should be filled to its capacity and then allowed to cool in the scuba shop, Hussey said. Then it should be handed back over to its owner.

However, some scuba shops will let a tank cool and then top it off. Doing so doesn't leave any room for the gases inside to expand when it is hot outside, Hussey said.

It's also possible the tank was simply old, and gave way to wear and tear.

"If you don't take care of the stuff, salt water can get inside and corrode the wall of the tank," said Hussey, who has been scuba diving for four years.

Scuba tanks made prior to 1990 – which some divers still use – were made using an alloy that was known to crack around the neck of the tank, Hussey said. Those cracks make the tanks susceptible to exploding.

Hussey said scuba divers should have their tanks inspected annually and should be familiar with the condition of their equipment.

"It wouldn't just spontaneously explode," Hussey said.

Read the last line in the quote. That is your answer.

how often would a tank just randomly explode. I kno not to completely top them off and whatnot but after reading this article it makes me wonder, should I get brand new tanks?

St. Pete veteran killed by exploding scuba tank | TBO.com

The jury is still out on what exactly was the "trigger" that caused this tank to fail. Many factors usually lead to something like this. Just as the analogy of links in any accident chain. Do diligence and education applied to any situation should keep one on the safe side. I'm sure as more information is/can be made available we will find out the history behind this tank. It's use, handling, etc.. Any one or more of which would constitute a chain.

Any incident should give you pause to think and evaluate it's impact upon you. Never should one take the media or the speculation of others as the end all be all of what happened. The speculation and discussion although factually wrong most of the time can be looked at as productive from the standpoint that people are thinking. Most agree that a thinking diver is a safer diver. True in most things it would be safe to say.

Tanks, like the rest of your gear should be respected. As you have seen out of the water just as much as in it. Education is the first weapon against fear of the unknown. The use of the words life support is no joke..

To your point of whether you should get new tanks.... If you feel it would be more prudent for you to be safe using new; By all means do.. Aside from that, educate yourself with the resources available and make a better more informed decision than just going by my recommendation.

Last edited:
ST. PETERSBURG — Police said on Thursday that they determined there was stolen equipment at the scene of the deadly scuba tank blast that took place Sunday morning.
Russell Vanhorn II, 23, was killed when the tank he was holding exploded inside a condo at 5865 37th Ave., authorities said.
Vanhorn was recently charged in Pasco County with misdemeanor petty theft. He was accused of taking a dive reel from his former employer, Scuba West in Hudson, in April. The shop reported that other scuba gear was also missing but authorities said there was no evidence to charge Vanhorn.
But now St. Petersburg police say two tanks that were reported missing from the shop were found inside the condo. Police have not yet determined if the tank that blew up also was stolen.

The shop owners comments in the article reflect a degree of ignorance on the issue.

Legally a tank is not overfilled if the pressure does not exceed the service pressure on e the tank cools to room temp (70 degrees F). Also, the test pressure on 3AL aluminum and 3 AA steel tanks is 5/3rds the service pressure and the burst disc assembly installed must release the gas at between 90% and 100% of the test pressure.

What that means is that a 3000 psi aluminum tank is tested every 5 years at 5000 psi to ensure it does not demonstrate excessive expansion or weakness in the material. It also means that the burst disc assembly will release the excess pressure before the test pressure is exceeded.

Consequently, if a shop fills an AL 80 to 3000 psi and it cools to 2800 psi and they then top it to 3000 psi, it just means the tank is full and that the shop cared enough to give the customer a full fi to the rated capacity of the tank. Similarly, if the fill person, having done a lot of tank fills and understanding how much heat equals how much pressure drop when it cools, overfills the tank by 200-300 psi so that it is at 3000 psi when the tank cools, the tank is still just "full" and was in fact never "overfilled" even when the pressure of the hot tank was 3300 psi.

In that same sense if I fill a tank very very slowly so that I put 3000 psi in it without ever exceeding 70 degrees F so the tank is "full". I can take that tank and the hot filled to 3200 psi tank (with exactly the same volume of gas) out and set them in the sun, put them in my trunk, etc, and after they heat up, they will both be at the same pressure, they will both still have the same volume if gas and neither if them will be "overfilled". More importantly the tank pressures in the sun or in the trunk of the car in the sun will be in the 3300-3400 psi range at worst - far short of the 4500 psi pressure where the burst disc may rupture or the 5000 psi service pressure.

It annoys me when shop owners and managers fail to know or understand the very simple regulations regarding filling a tank to it's rated pressure. It really annoys me when they peddle that kind of ignorance to the general public.

----

SLC cracking is an issue with 6351-T6 alloy tanks, but the 1990 date is a bit of a crutch for shops who won't take the time to consult a safety circular to determine when various companies stopped using that alloy. For example Luxfer stopped using it in their S 80 AL80s in January 1988 and ceased using it in all their tanks by June 1988. So if it is a Luxfer tank made in June 1988 or later, it is made from 6061-T6 alloy.

Catalina always used 6061-T6 alloy so none of their tanks were ever made from 6351-T6 alloy.

-----

Since visual plus/eddy current inspection protocols were implemented over 10 years ago there has not been a single catastrophic failure of a properly inspected 6351-T6 alloy tank. There have been some reports of non catastrophic failures (leaks), but the test protocols appear to be effective at preventing explosions in the literally millions of 6351-T6 tanks still in service.

-----

Dropping a scuba tank is a really bad idea but it should not cause it to explode.

----

In short, as long as your tanks have a current hydro and are properly inspected on an annual basis by a well qualified person, they won't pose any credible threat.

I don't know what a person's addiction to thievery has to do with the issue but here's a scenario which might make a tank explode. Overfill a NON-oxygen cleaned AL80 tank made before 1988 from 6351-T6 alloy with oxygen and drop it on your apartment's concrete floor. Bye-bye.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom