Which is a better expenditure: GoPro or Scuba Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have other options besides the Gopro, like the sealife camera... But if you're like me and you live in Florida and you dive every month... Or in the summer...nearly every weekend.. Lol.. Then get a tank.

Another vote for tanks. Don't buy new, find a pair of used.

Personally, I just dont think Gopro is worth their retail price nowaday. There are so many other options, some actualy are made at the factory as Gopro for much lower cost.

My vote is Gopro, it does add some task loading and planning. Get a 128GB SD card to cover two dives. Sounds like family want to see what's down there. Maybe future dive buddies.

Tanks have to be maintained, and can be rented almost everywhere.

You said it was 1 1/2 hour drive to dive, not too far. So maybe Tank would help. If you were near/on ocean then Tank would be better.

Just picked up two flawless HP100s for $350, galvanized to boot.
Sweet! I'd bet they're galvanized under the boot too. :wink:

Things are slow on the board, just reread this entire thread while the grill is heating up. Full credit to the OP for a well-considered post. Nice thread.

This is a totally individual choice. Me, I need to have a minimal set of gear always charged and ready to go. That way, in the middle of the night, I can take advantage of a high tide back bay dive that never hits anyone's radar but mine. Back in time to cook breakfast. Never happened.

For others, I could well imagine that sharing your trip to the other world would be everything...

I have several tanks for dedicated CCR bailout, renting stage-rigged tanks is a mission around here but with the increase of sidemount diving that is becoming less of a problem with time.

Here, there is a dive op close to anywhere I might actually want to dive and the difference between a fill and a rental is around 3$. I almost always end up using rentals for my diving (their gear, their risk). If I didn't have tanks already I don't think I'd buy except for deco and BO tanks.

My usual recommendation for gear purchases for my students, in order:

Soft gear
Computer
BC
Regs
Lights
Camera
Tanks if they REALLY need them.

Obviously your needs will vary depending on your circumstances, I would recommend keeping an eye out and only buying tanks when they are irresistible i.e. a LDS clearance or someone getting rid of their gear on eBay or CL or here on SB. Better deals to be had away from SB, though, as often non-divers will be selling gear post divorce, after a family member has passed and they often have no idea of value and just want to get rid of the bulk.

The best gear to buy? The one that makes you go dive more.

I'd go with the GoPro. I get incredible enjoyment sharing photos (actually just screenshots) from video of my dives with my friends and family. I include a blurb about the dive (usually the same info from my logbook). Great way to share your experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom