Cost of getting into cave diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8ful divr

Reaction score
I'm hoping to eventually get into cave diving pretty seriously. I'm wondering what kind of costs I can expect from training, gear and any other misc expenses. If anyone could give a breakdown I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks.

Hey, Gr8ful,

Give "Corigan" in the Lake Lanier Looney Birds forum a shout.

He has just recently purchased all the goodies to do cave diving. I'm sure he can give you a good up-to-date cost analysis of the venture.

the K

gr8ful divr:
I'm hoping to eventually get into cave diving pretty seriously. I'm wondering what kind of costs I can expect from training, gear and any other misc expenses. If anyone could give a breakdown I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks.

Training: $1500 for cavern, intro, full cave
Equipment: depends what you own, but if you own OW equipment: $1500 minimum for second first stage, long hose, primary light, 2x backup light, doubles.
Travel: ???
And that's for starters :D

maarten

As much as you are willing to spend!

doubles - $500 - 700
two good reg sets - $300 -500 X 2
reels/spools - $150 - 200 for a primary and a safety
can light - $400 - 1200
two backup lights $30 - 80 X 2
training about $1200 - 2000 for the 4 classes needed (cavern, intro, apprentice, full)

thats a pretty basic overview and not getting into exposure suits and stage\deco bottles, scooters etc....

I just calculated that I have between 5K and 6K strapped to my body every time I jump in a spring.......

Add to that training and redundant equipment....another 2K

and then the things for the future: scooter, RB?

It adds up........

I'm right there with you gr8ful... ive started my collection... but i think i might just need a job :D

If you do not own any gear you could reasonably plan on spending at least $5000, but more likely$7500. This would include cylinders, regs, lights, dry suit, the works. If you already own some dive gear you should budget $5000 to $7500 since you will probably want to replace most of it with new gear that is appropriate for the overhead environment, sorry that dive cannon is just not going to work out for you. :)

The cost of the instruction should come in around $1200 to $1500. You need to plan on additional costs of around $1000 for air or NITROX fills, admission to the various caves since some are on private land and others in state parks, of course unless you live there you will need a hotel room and food.

The total cost could run from a low estimate of $7500, up to $12500. That is a pretty large range, so it really depends on lots of variables. You can of course rent lots of the gear, this will soften the initaial blow, but it will add up quickly. Ginnie springs does rent cave gear but you might need to be taking a class with one of their instructors to do this. Other instructors often own large amounts of gear that is available for rent directly from them. Contact your instructor of choice and ask.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
The total cost could run from a low estimate of $7500, up to $12500.

When I started cave diving, I went to Mexico and paid $750 for cavern=>full cave. This included course fees, transprot, admission fees,fills and equipment.
Right now you pay around $2000 for the same package.
I would choose this option to find out if you really like it, before spending $12500. (which I agree it is possible to spend if you get addicted :D )

maarten

Keep in mind that all of this doesn't have to be purchased at one time.
Granted, there are those that do the cavern thru full cave in 8 days but most instructors I've been in contact with recommend doing the classes in stages and gain experience at each level before progressing on.
This will allow you to start in cavern where your OW gear can be used and no canister light is required, no doubles required and such.
You can slowly accumulate this gear as you progress and of course if you decide it isn't for you early on, you haven't spent much.

Jason B:
Keep in mind that all of this doesn't have to be purchased at one time.
Granted, there are those that do the cavern thru full cave in 8 days but most instructors I've been in contact with recommend doing the classes in stages and gain experience at each level before progressing on.
This will allow you to start in cavern where your OW gear can be used and no canister light is required, no doubles required and such.
You can slowly accumulate this gear as you progress and of course if you decide it isn't for you early on, you haven't spent much.

that is my plan... college doesnt help the addiction :11doh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom