Cost-Benefit Analysis of Fixing Up an Old Conshelf vs Just Buying a New Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,
So, basically, my dive buddy recently acquired a Conshelf 21 when buying some other gear (owner wanted it gone, threw it in as a freebie). He knows I've been looking for a pony reg, and has offered me the use of the Conshelf on the grounds that he has no use for it, and doesn't wanna pay the servicing and parts cost. My LDS that services aqualung acted all wishy-washy about servicing it; they made lots of excuses, but the long and short of it is they want me to buy a new reg from them rather than servicing this one. To mail it for service to the place I found that will service the first stage will cost about ~$100 (including parts and labor). Factor in that I won't be able to use this Conshelf forever (parts will probably dry up soon) and I'd need to take the octo off my Tusa main rig to have a second stage for the conshelf, and I wonder if I wouldn't be better off just buying a new reg. Definitely not going to the LDS that didn't want to service this one, both because I kinda think they're lying to me and because there's anothe dive shop in town that's much, much cheaper, but even so, my question comes down to this:

Do I spend $100 to service an old Conshelf, and use my current octo on it as a pony reg, or do I pay at least $350 for a new regset from the dive shop?

.., or do I pay at least $350 for a new regset from the dive shop?
It's after labor day and shops are putting massive deep sale prices on their regulator stocks that are so cheap, you have to call to get the price since it can't be advertised (MAP policy). This is a GREAT time to buy a "new-previous year model" regulator since all the new models will be introduced just before DEMA in November. PS if you don't like the price point-ask for free extras like tank fills/boat trip to offset the price. Mid september is the best time for reg gear on sale.

I’d also recommend investing in a new regulator that is more future-proof regarding finding service kits. I second what Johnoly said, you can get some outstanding deals from your LDS.

I’ve also had a lot of success buying modern, used regulators online with full service histories. Alternatively ScubaBoard also has a classified section if you don’t mind buying second hand.

At one time people here on SB were recommending Scubatoys (Scuba Regulator Repair - Scubatoys.com) for servicing Conshelf regs. You might check them out.

Keep in mind that even if you have an old reg serviced, there remains the question of whether the hose(s) need to be replaced.

FWIW, I still dive the Scubapro Mk10 + BA/156 regs I purchased new in 1987. (Service them, myself.) At that time, U.S. Divers Conshelf regs enjoyed a similar reputation for bulletproof reliability.

rx7diver

A third option is to learn to service it yourself. Conshelfs (with a few oring differences) are all the same, the same parts (and kit) as the early Titan regs and use the same main parts as current AL regs. While service shops may can not get an "official" Conshelf kit, fact is, it uses the same main parts as current AL regs so while not officially a Conshelf kit, most of the parts are the same . The critical parts like HP seats and diaphragm will be available for many years to come unless AL stops using the seat they have been using since the mid 60's.....not likely. The rest of the orings are industry standard and easy to source.

maybe you can trade it in with these guys

Screenshot (1287).png

Screenshot (1288).png

I think I bought a Conshelf as my third reg USED and my ninth and thirteenth and twenty first and my

321 004a.jpg

and also new reg discount sales are for the seller, certainly if you weren't going to buy the reg already

then it's just spending

So, response to all the comments in this thread. First off, let me thank everyone for the advice and suggestions! I really appreciate them.

@Johnoly The cheaper of the two dive shops in town is....kinda weird about this stuff. He already sells below internet prices, and gives a student discount on top of that, so I think he'd be somewhat offended if I tried to haggle. I'm aware there's a decent chance he's not giving me as good a deal as he acts like he is, but I'm also not about to risk alienating him about it, since the other LDS is massively overpriced. I did go by yesterday to see if there were any labor day deals or anything, but the prices he quoted were the same as usual. $297 for a Hog D1x with second stage, which is $50 less than online prices. Seems like an ok deal, but no different from what he offered when I asked about it in July.

@Scuba_Oscar I don't mind buying second hand, but I suspect my idea of a good deal and anybody who's selling an actual useable reg wouldn't match up. In my mind, buying used, and therefore losing out on warranty and any parts for life guarantees, plus the general lack of certainty, costs enough that I'm not looking to pay 80% of new, I'm looking to pay like, 40%.

@rx7diver @herman As someone who likes to work with my hands, I love the idea of servicing my own regs, but I honestly have no idea how I'd even get into that without being colossally stupid about it, and if my parents ever found out it would worry them to death. My mom, bless her, already worries too much about my sorry butt. I don't need to be adding reasons for that.

@happy-diver What kind of trade in value do they offer?

Regs are actually fairly easy to service, there are lots of youtube videos showing how it's done. Unfortunately, you are assuming that the person who is servicing your reg is component and skilled and while there are many great techs, there are also a lot of poorly trained (if at all) part swapping monkeys doing the work. The very fact that almost no one is hurt or killed by faulty regs is evidence they are very reliable and withstand a lot of improper care and servicing. The Conshelf , along with a number of other brands/models ,is a long proven regulator . Just because a reg is old does not mean it's not safe or poor performer.

The best thing about home servicing regs is they let you know if they are not happy before you take them diving if you do a few very basic checks.

To add to what @herman said, the few Conshelf specific routine replacement parts (seat, HP diaphragm, etc.) are available both as part numbers in more current AL regs, and third party replacements through Trident, Scubagaskets, and others.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom