Corrosion on Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don't bother with the valves.
$35 to replace, keep the vindicators if you want.
He needs a higher pressure valve than that. It's a high pressure steel tank.

He needs a higher pressure valve than that. It's a high pressure steel tank.

Officially that is correct, and you see them sold as 5000 vs 5250psi discs. IIRC the law surrounding pressure relief says it must not open at greater than 90% of test pressure. For an al80 that is 4500, and on the HP steels that's 4725, a delta of 5%. I would say that's pretty insignificant and would have 0 qualms using those discs on HP steel bottles. Illegal to go the other way and use the HP steel discs on an AL80 or on a LP steel tank, but perfectly fine to use a lower rated disc.

Officially that is correct, and you see them sold as 5000 vs 5250psi discs. IIRC the law surrounding pressure relief says it must not open at greater than 90% of test pressure. For an al80 that is 4500, and on the HP steels that's 4725, a delta of 5%. I would say that's pretty insignificant and would have 0 qualms using those discs on HP steel bottles. Illegal to go the other way and use the HP steel discs on an AL80 or on a LP steel tank, but perfectly fine to use a lower rated disc.
Agree and I would not personnally have an objection to using it myself, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone I don't know and that might have problems getting it filled past 3000 by a dive shop that notices the valve marking.

vinegar and a toothbrush will do wonders on the valve. Clean up the hydro mark and then paint with three layers of nail polish. You probably have everything you need at home.
Minus the nail polish lol. Thanks 😊

These are almost $85 just want to clean them up. Now if these were really antique valves, I’d agreed with you, plus I unfortunately don’t dove enough where there is significant use to my tanks. Most diving actually happens on the west coast.

Seriously. Just replace them. $50 each for 3442 psi Thermo Valves from DGX with free shipping. $100 and you’re done. No guess work. Brand new valves that’ll last you years without issue. You can easily end up spending just about that much on having them rebuilt and the burst assemblies replaced.

vinegar and a toothbrush will do wonders on the valve. Clean up the hydro mark and then paint with three layers of nail polish. You probably have everything you need at home.
Thanks John

Seriously. Just replace them. $50 each for 3442 psi Thermo Valves from DGX with free shipping. $100 and you’re done. No guess work. Brand new valves that’ll last you years without issue. You can easily end up spending just about that much on having them rebuilt and the burst assemblies replaced.
Fair point. Might just replace them,

The corrosion on the valve looks pitted. So even if you cleaned it up, it'll still be pitted. And unless you somehow coated it, it's just going to corrode again. Either put on a new valve or just run with it. The surface corrosion won't hurt as long as the surface is smooth where the o-ring seats.

As for the hydro stamp, the vinegar water solution with a wire brush should work. After cleaning and drying you can mask it off, hit it with some primer then some paint to match.

The corrosion on the valve looks pitted. So even if you cleaned it up, it'll still be pitted. And unless you somehow coated it, it's just going to corrode again. Either put on a new valve or just run with it. The surface corrosion won't hurt as long as the surface is smooth where the o-ring seats.

As for the hydro stamp, the vinegar water solution with a wire brush should work. After cleaning and drying you can mask it off, hit it with some primer then some paint to match.
Thanks. Figured it wouldn’t be “new” again but as long as the area where my reg goes is clean, I’m good with it. Thanks for your input 😊

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom