Corrective Lenses for a Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whj3857

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am interested in learning how to SCUBA dive but I need corrective lenses. My prescription is L:-3.75 and R:-3.25 and I can't wear contacts.

Both eyes fall between the 0.5 steps offered by most manufacturers.

Is it better to get lenses stronger than my prescription?
L:-4.0 and R:-3.5

or is it better to get lenses that are weaker (L:-3.5 and R:-3.0)?

What effect on vision correction will the water have and how should I factor that into the decision?

Like I said, I'm new. I don't want to go the route of having lenses specially bonded to a mask because I'm just starting off. I figure that eventually I'll upgrade to better equipment if I stay with the sport. At that time I'll probably do something like that.

I haven't purchased anything yet, but I think I've decided on the mask already (TUSA Liberator +). Because of the availability of corrective lenses and the fit.

Now which way do I go? Stronger or weaker?

I don't want to end up with headaches because I've overpowered my vision and then again I don't want to strain my eyes to see.

Or should I just get a "swimming-eye" dog and forget the whole prescription thing?

It's hard to find a SCUBA diving optometrist that would understand this situation. I've contacted a couple of optometrists and they refer me to Dive shops. The Dive shops tell me to go to an optometrist.

Thanks

I would go for the weaker ones if that is really all they've got available.

Depending on which book you read water magnifies in the range of 20-25% so you should be OK.

"swimming-eye" dog sounds kind of cool though.....

My husband also wears glasses & can't wear contacts. He bought a mask with corrective lenses. He sent in his prescription from the eye doctor & got his normal presciption put in. Says that they work just fine. Seems to me that if you get either stronger or weaker lenses, you would have trouble adjusting to them, but that's only my opinion. I dive with contacts & see just the same out of water as I do in.

Cindy
:turtle:

As I've gotten older, my 20-20 vision has become a thing of the past. Stick-on lenses, which turn your mask into bifocals, work for me. I can read my computer and gages, see things close-up, and let the 25% natural underwater magnification do the rest.
They can be easily removed to switch masks, but do not come off by themselves underwater (at least, not yet!). I paid around $30 at my LDS.

I just bought a new mask with custom made corrective lenses. My old one, was bought off a shelf at the Marine BX in Hawaii about 25+ years ago, and I just kept trying them until I could see best. Over the years, my vision has changed and the rubber of the mask has gotten more and more brittle, and finally it wouldn't give me a proper seal or allow me to see more than a few feet. So, I went to the LDS in Flint and gave them a copy of my perscription (picked it up from my doctors office on the way) they helped me pick out a mask that fit and ordered up the lenses for it from another vendor and put it together at the shop. The whole cost was about $180 ($80 for the mask, $100 for the lenses) and I figured if it lasts as long as the old one did, I'm still money ahead. I'll probably loose this one, long before it wears out. I haven't had a lot of chances to use it yet, but will be getting more serious about it in August when I take my Open Water Checkout....

It looks like you are near sighted, however, if you have astigmatism, the standard lenses will not help that problem. After my 20/20 eye sight started to go, I really did not need to get corrective lenses until my eyes got worse than -1.0 or so because of the magnification affect that takes place. I would say that if you get the weaker lenses you may be OK. On the other hand, if you want a perfect match, buy prescription lenses for your mask. Ask your Optomitrist if he/she can make them or have them made, if not, ask him/her who can. You may need to check around for an optomitrist that can do this. Another advantage would be that you can get them as bifocals (costs more) . My wife bought the prescription lenses and she loves them. I also need the stick on lenses to easily read my guages, watch, and computer. I use one in my left mask. Using two is a waste of time since you can't get bonocular vision out of the stick on lenses in a mask.

WH, at one time I could wear my contacts when diving, but when I got to the bifocal stage, I decided to go with custom prescription lenses in my mask. So did my husband.

We both have Seavision masks & lenses. And if you do not like one of their masks, they can also custom grind lenses to fit your particular mask. I highly recommend them.

If you have a pretty "standard" prescription, some mask mfgs can accommodate you. Otherwise, you are better going for custom like Seavision.

BTW, as many an u/w photographer can tell you, optics underwater are different than above. So doing things like gluing your lenses to the inside of your dive mask will not give you the best results. A good u/w optic company will take into consideration the difrerence in optics & grind the lenses so that you wind up with the best possible UNDERWATER vision.

Here is the link for Seavision if you are interested: http://www.seavisionusa.com/

Hope this helps!

~SubMariner~

Hey whj3857,

I wear a mask fitted with corrective lenses. I've never worn contacts and probably never will. You should get them half a step less than your usual prescription. Apparently the distance the lenses are from your eyes and the effect of the water corrects the difference (I'm obviously no eye surgeon, this was explained to me by a couple of dive shop operators and optometrists).

I'm -3.25 in both eyes, and I fully recommend you get fixed to whatever your preference is, either contacts or lenses for your mask. I couldn't believe how much more I enjoyed the underwater experience having had my mask done. I could actually see my buddy! You'll have to be careful though. I lost my first prescription mask (also a Liberator) on a boat dive coming out of the water. It was the first time I wore a hoodie and had my mask perched on my head (yeah yeah, spot the newbie). Reached back to pull the hood off and it's goodbye mask. Guttings.

Anyway, good luck and have great fun with the new prescription. You won't regret it. Happy diving.

and have had mine since nearly day 1 - BUT - I'm in the -5 region and so standard lenses are not available for me.

First thought: if you try some standard lenses, lenses to correct nearsightedness are de-magnifying. So I'd go for the next level down and I would expect it to be workable for starters! The next level up will overfocus you and:

Another consideration: Where will you be diving? Most places I go, you seldom see much more than 10 feet - - so, assuming yours is similar - what sort of correction do you need in the 2-10 feet region?

This is fantastic. I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I think that you all gave me a lot of ideas and great information to make a good choice.

I think that I'll get the lenses to the next lower step than my current prescription as a starter.

In about 1 day, everyone gave me more information than I was able to gather over two weeks of running around from one shop to another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom