Coroner: Diver dies after being found at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I understand the situation, the victim had "buddied up" with a buddy pair that he didn't actually know. He was essentially "diving alone with them."

As others have mentioned above, my take is that I'd rather know I'm alone, than think I have a buddy.

RJB: You always have good posts. My take is as a long time solo diver is we are always diving alone.

RJB: I'm not sure where you got your info, but the diver in question was diving with buddies he knew well. I am intimately aware of the circumstances of this incident, but in deference to the parties involved, it is not my place to discuss the specifics. Only know there was a medical problem involved and buddy or no buddy the outcome would have been the same. I can tell you that the grief associated with losing a dive buddy is something I pray I never have to experience.
I have been diving since the late 70's, including a stint as a public service diver (police). Never in that time has a buddy had to "save my bacon". There was only one occasion where I made an air sharing ascent during a free flow. I could have made an ascent alone, but it was safer and more comfortable to make it with my buddy. As an instructor I teach the buddy system as one of the golden rules of diving. But I also stress the need to be your own best buddy! Proper training, careful dive planning, good equipment, situational and self awareness are the bacon savers of a good diver.

RJB: I'm not sure where you got your info, but the diver in question was diving with buddies he knew well. I am intimately aware of the circumstances of this incident, but in deference to the parties involved, it is not my place to discuss the specifics. Only know there was a medical problem involved and buddy or no buddy the outcome would have been the same.

How do we "know" there was a medical problem?

While I know the family and attended the funeral I still do not know the details. He was a seasoned diver and was at DS with friends that he dived with often. My understanding from other friends was that he had issues at depth and signaled he was ascending but was OK. His buddies continued their dive only to surface and not be able to locate him. He was found but it was too late.
He has a son that graduated college the week before and a daughter with a new granddaughter.

His family is grieving. I am sure his dive friends have incredible guilt and remorse.

I will ill see his wife this week and if appropriate will get the actual cause of death.

While I know the family and attended the funeral I still do not know the details. He was a seasoned diver and was at DS with friends that he dived with often. My understanding from other friends was that he had issues at depth and signaled he was ascending but was OK. His buddies continued their dive only to surface and not be able to locate him. He was found but it was too late.
He has a son that graduated college the week before and a daughter with a new granddaughter.

His family is grieving. I am sure his dive friends have incredible guilt and remorse.

I will ill see his wife this week and if appropriate will get the actual cause of death.

Thanks so much for this. As difficult as the situation is, we divers desperately need information around accidents to guide our choices for safe diving.

I just had a long discussion with his wife this morning. It was a hard topic to bring up but she was very willing to discuss the details. For her, it is very hard not knowing exactly what happened but here is what they do know.

Pax had dove back in Feb or March on a trip to Turkes and Caicos. He typically went on a dive trip every year and dove multiple times over a week long trip. Other than that he did not do much local diving (quarry). He was contacted by a dive buddy and agreed to go to the quarry even though he did not enjoy it that much.

They decended to about 60' and fairly quickly Pax signalled that he was ascending. His dive buddies (there were 2) asked if he was OK and he gave the OK sign. HIs buddy made a point of telling his wife that if he had not givin the OK sign they would have been right with him making sure his accent went well.

He rose to about 30' where because of viability they could not see him very well. They did see his fins kicking and he was heading towards a meeting spot. The remaining two divers started heading in the same direction and surfacing slowly. Shortly after that his weights came down and they knew he had a real issue. They came up and after locating him found him unconxous and not breathing.

The autopsy stated drowning as cause of death. His equipment all checked out fine. There was also a "cardiac episode" (unclear what it was) that occured but of course the order of things is not known. His wife believes he had some heart issue that caused him to pass out and then drown but she really struggles not really knowing. He was very healthy, fit (bike rider), and a big believer in diver saftey. She said he got yearly physicals to get cleared for diving and had his equipment checked annually. He did have slightly high blood pressure that he was medicated for but other than that was fine.

The buddy that asked him to go is suffering tramendous guilt. His son that drove home the day he passed was suppose to drive home the night before and has guilt thinking maybe his dad would not have gone if he was home. His wife questions what she should have done differently, what signs there could have been. There was a lot of grief and pain in her voice. They have a strong Christian faith and a large church community surrounding them but the grief process is still very hard.

They had been married 29 years and had great dreams for the next chapter of their life, a future that is now gone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom