CoronaVirus Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A healthy young 16 yr old should be fine, just take some reasonable precautions as mentioned above.

I've procrastinated a bit this year to go to ADEX in April and decided to skip it. I have an option of going to Malta to dive some wrecks with some tech buddies, but I really would prefer to be photographing nudis in the Philippines of Indonesia.

Standard trip insurance won't cover me if I cancel the trip because of fear of contracting the Coronavirus. "Cancel for any reason" insurance is available, but is expensive (about 10% the cost of the trip), and may only reimburse 50-75% of the trip's cost.
I take it this trip was booked awhile ago and you don't currently have either type of insurance. "Cancel for any reason" policies I've seen have to be purchased within 2 weeks of the original booking. And with the situation already occuring, I don't think either type will cover it, just like it won't cover a tropical storm after it's been named. So read that fine print.

If this thing has not subsided by June, the travel ban is going to be quite comprehensive. As they say, you don't know what you don't know. As such, I would not be making plans for any travel w/o having the best possible travel insurance.

If it isn't one thing, it's another. I am booked in mid April for Sabang, and I thought my only real problem was how I was going to get there with the mess they made of getting across the Batangas strait. So far my flight is going through Seoul, which is okay as of now, but I suppose that is next. By April the whole south Pacific may be boxed up- who knows? Stay tuned...:popcorn:

I'm traveling to the Philippines at the end of May for a liveaboard in Tubbataha reef and to Dauin for a week after that. I will be connecting through Korea so hopefully they won't be cancelling my flights into Manila. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks wearing masks on the plane but they do little to prevent you catching a virus but do help to prevent you from spreading any germs. So hopefully this virus will be contained by June or at least on the downswing---will have to wait and see as I still plan on going---unless flights are cancelled.

True, but Philippine airlines flies direct from San Francisco and LA a couple times per day, to both Manila and Cebu. So for folks in the US, that may be a viable option...

PAL also has a daily flight to Vancouver. However the direct flights are usually a few hundred bucks more than changing planes in Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan or China.

Would you be scared if there was an Asian on your liveaboard? I live in a big city in US and I’ve never seen it myself but I heard horror discriminative acts happening mostly in Europe towards Asians in general. I wonder if people from Europe or other countries would react as such if I was on the boat.

I booked a flight to Cebu via Hong Kong before the outbreak.
It’s not till November but I’m still worried. I imagine the flight w
Fingers crossed for everyone.

Would you be scared if there was an Asian on your liveaboard? I live in a big city in US and I’ve never seen it myself but I heard horror discriminative acts happening mostly in Europe towards Asians in general. I wonder if people from Europe or other countries would react as such if I was on the boat.

You aren't from Hubei, so why should I be concerned? You didn't fly from USA by way of China to get our liveaboard, so again, why should I be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom