Coronavirus and Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic but if you’re not, can you explain why it is expected to resolve in April? I know flu resolves in the spring and summer, but why or how? It can’t simply be warm weather can it? Singapore is hot and they got cases and so did other warm destinations.
Referring to a Trump statement from a couple of weeks ago.

It is the job of the insurance company to calculate Y and know how much to charge and if they cover it - this is what insurance companies do.

If Dan said they weren't covering it, that would be reasonable. It would also be reasonable if they said such events are more likely, so the policy costs more. But I was told some things would be covered, others would not be covered, and they couldn't immediately tell me which were which, and I will be better covered buying the policy now instead of waiting to get a straightforward answer.

First, no they didn't tell you they couldn't tell you. They told you to get details from the claims department and you couldn't get through without an hour wait so you didn't wait and now want to blame them.

Second, you are always better buying insurance early rather than late. Pre-existing conditions are almost always excluded. If you buy before it is present you are covered. If you wait till after it presents, not so much.

Third, Corona is totally new and an unknown quantity. There is no way to calculate it at this time. Listen to any news about it and the experts are very emphatic that without extensive testing it's a complete black hole. Add to that the non-response of our stable genius king-wannabe ... Insurance companies don't have a magic crystal ball.

Does the current COVID-19 crisis have to be declared as a pandemic officially by WHO before the insurance fine-print clause will kick in or is it based on the "general consensus - what does it look like to you?" whim of the insurance company?

P

Hi,

I've written extensively about this in another thread. Please click through. I've shared some links and included information about Dive Assure who is willing to cover Coronavirus IF you purchased your policy before January 24, 2020. Links and excerpts are in the thread and I have also been in contact with them about it.

Asia trips and coronavirus

I stopped buying trip insurance altogether. If my trip to Komodo next month get canceled, so be it. After I pay the cancellation fees for two airlines and one villa rental on Bali I'm out about $700. Thank god Scuba Junkie Komodo does not require any payment up-front. I am still way ahead financially by not purchasing the insurances over the last few years. Plus, I have none of the headaches of dealing with insurance companies.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic but if you’re not, can you explain why it is expected to resolve in April? I know flu resolves in the spring and summer, but why or how? It can’t simply be warm weather can it? Singapore is hot and they got cases and so did other warm destinations.

Trying to stay out of the political weaponizing of an unfortunate novel virus appearance to which nobody could know when, what and where. There is some reason to believe on a fact based level that the Corvid 19 will not spread as efficiently when warmer weather arrives. The common cold is caused by a variety of virus types, Corona viruses among them, though not this novel and heretofore unknown and more dangerous variant. But it is a coronavirus so perhaps it will behave like others of kind. And no, influenza is not a corona virus but they appear to spread in similar fashion from what is currently known. Below an explanation, though hardly the last word, on why we have a cold and flu season (and now possibly forever more a Corvid XX season):

Not all kinds of illness are actually more common when it gets cold out, but we do see an uptick in things like colds and flus and respiratory ailments. Here's why that is—and what you can do about it.

There's no doubt that the flu virus somehow thrives in the cold. In the United States, flu activity peaks during the fall and winter. And in the southern hemisphere, the virus packs its nastiest punch during our summer which is when the weather is coldest in that part of the globe.

As it turns out, the virus is basically designed to jump from person to person when the air is cold and dry. Studies have shown that transmission rates are highest when temperature and humidity are both low. Because cold air naturally holds less water, low humidity comes part and parcel with wintertime. Even when we heat that air up to make our homes cozy, it stays just as dry unless we employ a humidifier.

There are likely a couple factors at play here: cold air might help the flu virus survive longer outside of a human host, making it easier to linger after a cough or sneeze. Studies also suggest that the virus does a better job of circulating in low humidity. An infected individual exhales virus encased in tiny water droplets, and those droplets evaporate more quickly if the air is dry and desperate to leach moisture from any source. If the flu droplet shrinks fast enough, it can become so light that it circulates around in the air instead of falling to the ground.

Also, when warmer weather arrives people tend to go outside more and are not as crowded into interior spaces, external ventilation of buildings and public spaces brings in fresh air and maybe our immune systems just simply respond to the better weather and better mental states that warm and sunny weather bring us. I hope this resolves soon, by whatever mechanism, I got things to do and places to go.

The spanish flu waned in the summer of 1918. Then it killed 200k people in US in October.

Trying to stay out of the political weaponizing of an unfortunate novel virus appearance to which nobody could know when, what and where. There is some reason to believe on a fact based level that the Corvid 19 will not spread as efficiently when warmer weather arrives.
Some initial studies are showing Covid-19 surviving on surfaces at 95 degrees. Hope you're right...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom