Coronavirus and Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I called and asked Dan for insurance on my entire trip, not just the scuba diving, and said I was especially concerned with the possibility of cancellations or restrictions due to Coronavirus.

I was told that the entire trip was automatically covered, including the non-diving portion. However most travel insurance, including Dan, excludes anything the WHO considers a pandemic. Some Coronavirus related problems would be covered, some would not, and I would have to talk to the claims department to get details. Unfortunately, their claims department is completely overwhelmed with Coronavirus calls, and it is impossible to get through with less than an hour wait.

I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread and share what we know, since it is not easy to get this information.

I sent an e-mail to their claims department, and will post the response when/if I get an answer.

There are several threads in which coronavirus and insurance have been mentioned, but none specifically about that topic. A lot of insurance-related discussion here, for example: Asia trips and coronavirus

Two Canadian insurance companies have announced that trip cancellations due to coronavirus will no longer be covered due to it being a known situation (i.e., it already exists and is known). This only applies to NEW policies.

Here's a link:
2 Canadian insurance companies stop covering coronavirus-related trip cancellations | CBC News
That would truly burn my ass, if I planned a liveaboard a year in advance, bought trip insurance, and the flight were cancelled or the liveaboard cancelled and I couldn't get the rest of the trip insured because "It was a known situation".

If I decide not to fly out of Milan because of Coronavirus, that is a known situation and it is right not to cover me. But if I am willing to take the risk, but the Egyptian government is not and cancels my flight at the last minute, that is not a known situation, and a lousy excuse not to cover me.

But what I am being told is if my flight is cancelled due to Coronavirus, it won't be covered because fine print specifically excludes pandemics, and the situation would be the same if my flight were cancelled because half the world's population suddenly died from the return of the plague the week of my trip. This is still fair as long as it is disclosed.

If a reasonable consumer can't figure out the fine print, and an employee of the company doesn't know either - that is a little unfair. But it is understandable Dan can't handle the call volume right now.

That would truly burn my ass, if I planned a liveaboard a year in advance, bought trip insurance, and the flight were cancelled or the liveaboard cancelled and I couldn't get the rest of the trip insured because "It was a known situation".

No, only to new policies. If you bought your insurance when you bought your liveaboard a year ago, it wouldn't apply to you. That is, you still get coverage.

No, only to new policies. If you bought your insurance when you bought your liveaboard a year ago, it wouldn't apply to you. That is, you still get coverage.
Ah. Than my ass wouldn't burn.

If I decide not to fly out of Milan because of Coronavirus, that is a known situation and it is right not to cover me. But if I am willing to take the risk, but the Egyptian government is not and cancels my flight at the last minute, that is not a known situation, and a lousy excuse not to cover me.

But what I am being told is if my flight is cancelled due to Coronavirus, it won't be covered because fine print specifically excludes pandemics, and the situation would be the same if my flight were cancelled because half the world's population suddenly died from the return of the plague the week of my trip. This is still fair as long as it is disclosed.

If a reasonable consumer can't figure out the fine print, and an employee of the company doesn't know either - that is a little unfair. But it is understandable Dan can't handle the call volume right now.

I actually don't have a problem with not getting coverage for new policies. Coronavirus is a known risk everywhere right now. Today, it's Italy. Tomorrow, it could be Germany. It's so hard to say. And the insurance companies have announced "no coverage" so it's transparent and up-front. I'm not too phased about this. And I suppose there are a lot of people buying insurance just for this risk, people who would not have otherwise bought such insurance.

However, to combat this risk, airlines have stepped in and offered free rescheduling to entice people to buy airfare, which I am considering at the moment.

We’re waiving change fees to give you more freedom to travel

I actually don't have a problem with not getting coverage for new policies. Coronavirus is a known risk everywhere right now. Today, it's Italy. Tomorrow, it could be Germany. It's so hard to say. And the insurance companies have announced "no coverage" so it's transparent and up-front. I'm not too phased about this. And I suppose there are a lot of people buying insurance just for this risk, people who would not have otherwise bought such insurance.

However, to combat this risk, airlines have stepped in and offered free rescheduling to entice people to buy airfare, which I am considering at the moment.

We’re waiving change fees to give you more freedom to travel

Known risk is an oxymoron. People buy insurance to cover known risk. I would never buy fire insurance, unless I at least considered the possibility my house would burn down. This is the same as before Coronavirus - I knew there was a risk flights, hotels, liveaboards, etc could cancel, otherwise I wouldn't buy insurance.

As I said, I am okay with companies that clearly state what they don't cover at the time the policy is purchased. That isn't the case with DAN, at least not for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom